Tea-dying help

Old March 14th 05, 06:40 PM

Default Tea-dying help

I would like to tea-dye some unbleached musin to make a quilt in Judie
Rothermels new book. I have the recipe for the dying but I need to know
if this will be permanent or will it wash out and/or fade over time.
Has anyone here done tea-dying and can answer my question??

Thanks Susie in Bowie MD

Old March 14th 05, 07:03 PM
Susan Laity Price

If you want a blotchy old look then use tea. It will last but also
might in years to come deteriorate your fabric. Remember tea is acid
base. If you want an allover more even color then use Rit tan dye. It
is better on the fabric. Some prefer the color of coffee staining
rather than tea. You just have to decide the look you want.

Susan

Old March 14th 05, 07:53 PM
C & S

Here is a recipe I found for tea dying in "Prairie People, Cloth Dolls to
Make and Cherish" by Marhi Hadley & J. Dianne Ridgley (great book for those
who like to make primitive doll):

Use 20 bags of tea in 3 quarts of boiling water. Let the water cool.
Immerse the fabric in the tea solution for 10 to 20 minutes. Rinse it well;
rinsing thoroughly lessens the damage to the fibers (pp. 10). Either put
your fabric in the dryer or hang dry.

These authors also make reference to what Susan said about weakening the
fabric. I would also make sure you pre-washed your fabric to remove the
chemicals.

Good luck!

Carole (who really s/b working on her paper due tomorrow)
Champlain, NY
http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea

ups.com...

Old March 14th 05, 08:13 PM
Julia in MN

Roc-Lon makes a "tea dyed" muslin. No need to mess with dyeing it
yourself. Joann's carries Roc-Lon muslin, but I don't know if they have
the tea dyed. Roc-Lon is a nice quality muslin that I have used a lot.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Fabric Dying? Joy Hardie Sewing 2 December 6th 04 04:22 PM
Dying White Shirts Caroline General Crafting 10 August 18th 04 03:50 PM
dying acrylic yarn Laurie Yarn 4 November 30th 03 05:26 AM
dying fabric Valkyrie Quilting 1 November 1st 03 11:45 PM
dying tencel duh who Quilting 0 September 30th 03 01:13 AM