I just want to make sure

Old July 11th 04, 01:33 AM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Default I just want to make sure

Hi everyone!
It is me again. So...The hank thing...I just want to be sure
that my English won't fail me. So here is the picture of the
item I call as "hank of yarn":

http://yeolde.spatterdash.org/archives/000032.html

I do not put the pictures itself here...but just follow the
link. The blue-green thing in the picture...it should be
"hank of yarn". That kind of thing I started with and made
it to the ball.
Best: Pirjo

Old July 11th 04, 12:21 PM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Hi Katherine!
Yaahoooo! It means that my English is OK this time. I am
soooo happy!!!!!
Best: Pirjo
"Katherine" kirjoitti viestissä

Old July 12th 04, 12:49 PM
Yarn Forward

Just to confuse things with the US/Canada/UK use of English:

In England and Canada we would call that a skein. In the US it is
called a hank. The problem is that in the US the lower cost
manufacturers use a long thin ball which they call a "pull skein" and
this got shortened to a skein. Thus the confusion.

On our web site we now use the word hank, as everybody seems to know
what we mean, and skein can be confusing.

Roger.

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn and Scrapbooking Store

Old July 13th 04, 04:12 AM
Els van Dam

In article , Yarn Forward
wrote:

Just to confuse things with the US/Canada/UK use of English:

In England and Canada we would call that a skein. In the US it is
called a hank. The problem is that in the US the lower cost
manufacturers use a long thin ball which they call a "pull skein" and
this got shortened to a skein. Thus the confusion.

On our web site we now use the word hank, as everybody seems to know
what we mean, and skein can be confusing.

Roger.

Oh boy.....you are going to have a confused Canadian here.....I thought
that Hanks were bigger than skeins. Oh well it is just going to be one
more added term that needs watching.....LOL

Thanks Roger for the explanation.

I have just been reading up about reactive dyes, Procion MX and the ones
that Ciba makes as well. There is a lot of confusing about all the
different brand names used for the same dye, very confusing. Turns out
most of these are indeed Procion MX made by Imperial Chemical Industries
in Enlgand. They sell these to smaller outfits, who in their turn package
these under their own made up names. We could use stanardization for all
of it, knitting needles, crochet hooks etc etc etc. Life would be so much
easier.

Els, just dreaming...LOL

--
hate spam not welcome