best place for appraisal?

Old December 15th 03, 04:20 AM
Bob Devine

Default best place for appraisal?

I have a newbie question- I recently was given a very
nice sapphire/diamond bracelet and I would like to
determine its price.

Are there any general recommendation for appraisals?
I'm near Santa Fe, which has a lot of high-end jewelers,
but, should I seek out one that specializes in estate
jewelry, one that is accredited, or is any large shop
good enough?

Rough information - bracelet has 22 carats of sapphire
and about 3 carats of small diamonds. It is quite a
beauty but I'm clueless about it.

thanks,
Bob Devine
Old December 22nd 03, 04:00 PM
AireSignDesign

Are there any general recommendation for appraisals?

Since the jewelry appraisal business is unregulated, just about any one can
call him/her self an appraiser. You might want to start with with credentials.
The American Gem Society (AGS) is an association dedicated to setting and
maintaining the highest possible standards of business ethics and
professionalism in the jewelry industry. The firm owners, principals, or
employees must have a high level of gemological knowledge. There are two AGS
members in your area:

Faustin Chavez RJ
Chavez Fine Jeweler, Inc.
De Vargas Mall
171 Paseo De Peralta
Santa Fe NM*87501
P: 505-988-8009
F: 505-988-1016

Valerie Fairchild
Fairchild & Co., Inc.
110 W. San Francisco Street
Santa Fe NM*87501
P: 505-984-1419
F: 505-989-3577

Gemological knowlege is one half of the equation. Appraisal knowlege is the
other. Here are more associations that uphold appraisal standards:

American Society of Appraisers

Appraisers Association of America, Inc.

International Society of Appraisers

National Association of Jewelry Appraisers

Hope this sets you on the right track.

Michael F. Matz, GIA Diamonds Graduate

New auction place with lampwork categories! Kandice Seeber Beads 9 January 2nd 05 08:02 AM
The Place Mat Incident Debbie B Beads 6 October 21st 04 12:09 AM
I won 2nd place! And Spike says hello! Beadbimbo Beads 20 June 3rd 04 09:22 PM