Somebody help me

Old April 21st 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Somebody help me

I don't know what's going on. I see triple posts from Doc Smith. I assume
that's a man since he mentions his wife. Have we been properly introduced?
How about improperly? Something?
Then I see a post from someone else --- whole yl---? asking about a
quilt layout but I don't know who that is or have a clue how you'd go about
laying out blocks with no notion of *anything*. Too many unknowns to
participate.
Anybody understand this? :
****On Apr 20, 8:44 pm, "

wrote:
i have 10 6" 9-patch blocks and 24 6" 4 patch blocks. i would like
to use as many of these blocks as i can in one quilt top but can't
figure out a pleasing layout. the nine-patches are in 2 fabrics and
the 4 patches are in 2 different but coordinating fabrics. i have
leftover fabric from the 9-patches but not from the 4-patches. any
suggestions? thanks in advance

Now that I've played around for a bit, I guess it would also be
helpful to have a rough idea of the colors involved. Is there any way
you could upload a picture or scan of one of each of the squares?

Sorry for all the addenda - I'm a bit new at doing it this way - don't
even know what I don't know yet (but my wife/quiltmaker has me do this
kind of thing all the time - *she* says I have a talent for it...)

*** just puzzled. Polly

Old April 21st 09, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

Yuh, I read wholeylady's question and my eyes glazed over but then it
doesn't take much anymore. Then the good Dr. Smith (do you think he is
really) answered just like he knew what she was asking.......I was awed and
amazed but then that doesn't take much anymore either. I've seen both names
before but don't ever remember a 'howdy folks' or any introduction of any
kind. Sort of sad, RCTQ loves to make new friends. So to answer your
question Polly.....no, I just do NOT understand. Imma gonna go get some M&Ms
and sit over here in the corner and ponder.

Val

Old April 21st 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

wrote:

i have 10 6" 9-patch blocks and 24 6" 4 patch blocks. i would like
to use as many of these blocks as i can in one quilt top but can't
figure out a pleasing layout. the nine-patches are in 2 fabrics and
the 4 patches are in 2 different but coordinating fabrics. i have
leftover fabric from the 9-patches but not from the 4-patches. any
suggestions? thanks in advance

Now that I've played around for a bit, I guess it would also be
helpful to have a rough idea of the colors involved. *Is there any way
you could upload a picture or scan of one of each of the squares?

Sorry for all the addenda - I'm a bit new at doing it this way - don't
even know what I don't know yet (but my wife/quiltmaker has me do this
kind of thing all the time - *she* says I have a talent for it...)

*** * * just puzzled. *Polly

This has come up before, and I've answered it before. Yes, I did
introduce myself the first time I posted here in March; I'm sorry if
you didn't see it. So what will it take to placate you folks? I've
tried to be as friendly and helpful as I can here. If you have some
specific question, why not just come out and ask it in a friendly
manner instead of this kind of "oooooh" stuff? The other time this
happened, the person asked, I answered, and AFAIK, things are fine.

As far as WholeyLady, what's the big deal? I apologized for my
multiple posts. In my eagerness to help, there were a few things I
didn't think of at first. Sorry. Yes, I essentially understood her
question, and she understood what I asked her in addition, and she
answered. Now I'm gonna play around with the blocks for a while and
see what I can come up with. Aren't we all here to share & learn from
each other?
Old April 21st 09, 07:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:04:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Apr 20, 11:50=A0pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
I don't know what's going on. =A0I see triple posts from Doc Smith. =A0I =

assume
that's a man since he mentions his wife. =A0Have we been properly introdu=

ced?
How about improperly? =A0Something?
=A0 =A0 Then I see a post from someone else --- whole yl---? asking about=

quilt layout but I don't know who that is or have a clue how you'd go abo=

ut
laying out blocks with no notion of *anything*. =A0Too many unknowns to
participate.
=A0 =A0 Anybody understand this? :
=A0 =A0 ****On Apr 20, 8:44 pm, " wholeyl...@aol=

.com
wrote:

i have 10 6" 9-patch blocks and 24 6" 4 patch blocks. i would like
to use as many of these blocks as i can in one quilt top but can't
figure out a pleasing layout. the nine-patches are in 2 fabrics and
the 4 patches are in 2 different but coordinating fabrics. i have
leftover fabric from the 9-patches but not from the 4-patches. any
suggestions? thanks in advance

Now that I've played around for a bit, I guess it would also be
helpful to have a rough idea of the colors involved. =A0Is there any way
you could upload a picture or scan of one of each of the squares?

Sorry for all the addenda - I'm a bit new at doing it this way - don't
even know what I don't know yet (but my wife/quiltmaker has me do this
kind of thing all the time - *she* says I have a talent for it...)

*** =A0 =A0 just puzzled. =A0Polly

[...]

Alrighty then!

1) The OP has an AOL return addy, and is posting through Google.
At the very least there is going to be a lag with most servers.
Google postings are slow to propagate, and that AOL return addy will
make it even slower since some servers have been rejecting such ever
since AOL stopped usenet service. No big surprise that the follow-ups
are showing up for some people before the original post. Now smile
pretty and bat those long lashes at the good Dr.for being considerate
enough to include the original post. (G)

2) Dr. Smith (Fosters&, or "Danger Will Robinson!"?) has been posting
for a while. This is hardly the first time we have seen him,
hopefully it will not be the last.

As for the OP...
No way, no how.
She is going to have to either add fabric or discard some blocks.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 21st 09, 07:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Dear Polly - if *you* are turning into a grumpy old lady, then my life
is not worth living g
I understood! but then I often play with the abstract (as you know!).
I was going to have a bash at answering.
By the end of the thread things were fairly straightforward.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes
I don't know what's going on. I see triple posts from Doc Smith. I assume
that's a man since he mentions his wife. Have we been properly introduced?
How about improperly? Something?
Then I see a post from someone else --- whole yl---? asking about a
quilt layout but I don't know who that is or have a clue how you'd go about
laying out blocks with no notion of *anything*. Too many unknowns to
participate.
Anybody understand this? :

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 21st 09, 08:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Polly, evidently Dr Smith introduced himself in a thread about EQ 6. I
didn't see it either as I don't have EQ and can't image me ever getting it
so never read those threads.

If Dr Smith had introduced himself in the usual manner you and I may have
both seen it :-)

Dee in Oz

Old April 21st 09, 11:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Your 'lateral thinking', Pat was the solution to using all the blocks
and just constructing one focus 'pretty one'!. Wish I could show the EQ
picture I did of it, but am just about to rush around like a mad thing
before going out, and didn't really have the time to play when I
did!!(and 5 lmins turned into 3/4hour!). I presume I have to put it into
my photo album and then onto Webshots.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Patti wrote:
Dear Polly - if *you* are turning into a grumpy old lady, then my life
is not worth living g
I understood! but then I often play with the abstract (as you know!).
I was going to have a bash at answering.
By the end of the thread things were fairly straightforward.
.
In message , Polly Esther
writes

Old April 21st 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Sally Swindells wrote:
Your 'lateral thinking', Pat was the solution to using all the blocks
and just constructing one focus 'pretty one'!. Wish I could show the EQ
picture I did of it, but am just about to rush around like a mad thing
before going out, and didn't really have the time to play when I
did!!(and 5 lmins turned into 3/4hour!). I presume I have to put it into
my photo album and then onto Webshots.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

OH, YES Sally, please do :-). I would dearly love to have a look
see!!! I don't have any of the quilt programs so was just about to
color up some graph paper blocks and have a go at doing different
layouts! I nipped THAT thought in the bud since I still have at least
one quilt to get finished before we go on holiday the beginning of May
-- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old April 21st 09, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Dr. Smith is on the level, asks quilt and color-related questions,
gives sensible answers to other posts as far as I can tell. And I
think only 1 or 2 came double (never triple!) So be not afraid.

As for the layout issue, I'd probably set them on point, alternating
with plain squares, and end up with 2 4-patches left over (I think
-this is all hypothetical). Not sure exactly how big this top would
be, but one could just as well make 2 more blocks and use them for the
corners, along with a 2-strip border.
Roberta in D