good mechanical machine

Old April 8th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
patslag

Default good mechanical machine

Any recommendations for a sewing machine in the $300-$400 range? I
don't need alot of bells and whistles, but would like one that is
sturdy. What are your favorites? This is for a 70 year old man.
Old April 8th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TinaR

On Apr 8, 11:27*am, patslag wrote:
Any recommendations for a sewing machine in the $300-$400 range? *I
don't need alot of bells and whistles, but would like one that is
sturdy. *What are your favorites? *This is for a 70 year old man.

Have you been to http://sewing.patternreview.com/? They have a ton of
reviews on sewing machines, and they also have a message board
specifically about sewing machines.

In a nutshell, you will find that the folks over there recommend
Janome and Kenmore in that price range, but there is a ton of good
advice there.

Old April 8th 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

A few months ago an elderly lady of very limited income in my apartment was
looking for a basic machine. She just wanted to make a few little lap/baby
quilts and do fun, busy work but she hadn't sewn for 50+ years. I found a
1950 straight stitch Singer (not in a cabinet) on Craig's List for her. My
son, bless his soul, at my request, went to pick it up and refused to let
her pay him. I'm going to take a moment to be a bit puffed up here, these
little acts of kindness just make a mother proud. She loves it! Sews like
a dream, she sews almost everyday now. I know this because she plays show
and tell in the lobby when people gather to get their mail. She's made
little quilts, pillowcase dresses for her great grand daughters, and
recovered her sofa pillows. I showed her the mysterious workings of the
button hole attachment that came with it and she's now working on a blouse
for herself. Go Granny, GO!

Craig's List always has oodles of sewing machines (at least in my area) for
sale. They are seldom over $200. You could pick up a good used machine and
still be able to take it in for a good cleaning and tune up and stay well
within your budget. It's just my personal opinion but just about any machine
made from the mid 1960s or earlier is pretty good for a basic used machine
and a better deal than a cheap newer piece of frustrating junk. But that's
just my personal opinion

Val

Old April 8th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
monique

Val wrote:
A few months ago an elderly lady of very limited income in my apartment was
looking for a basic machine. She just wanted to make a few little lap/baby
quilts and do fun, busy work but she hadn't sewn for 50+ years. I found a
1950 straight stitch Singer (not in a cabinet) on Craig's List for her

I'd second that! I've got a 1959 Singer slant 401 that I wouldn't trade
for ANYTHING. It's older than I am, does what I want it to do, and it's
a tank. It'll outlast me.

Monique in tX
Old April 8th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"monique" wrote in message
Val wrote:
A few months ago an elderly lady of very limited income in my apartment
was looking for a basic machine. She just wanted to make a few little
lap/baby quilts and do fun, busy work but she hadn't sewn for 50+ years.
I found a 1950 straight stitch Singer (not in a cabinet) on Craig's List
for her

I'd second that! I've got a 1959 Singer slant 401 that I wouldn't trade
for ANYTHING. It's older than I am, does what I want it to do, and it's a
tank. It'll outlast me.

Monique in tX

OMG.....a Singer born in 1959 is older than you?? I have bathrobes older
than you, I probably have leftovers hiding in the back of my fridge OLDER
than you. *sobbing* These are the days when I hate that they reduced the
alcohol content in Geritol. ~sigh~

Val

Old April 8th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I feel your pain, Val! It really hits home doesn't it g
..
In message , Val
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 9th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

patslag wrote:

Any recommendations for a sewing machine in the $300-$400 range? I
don't need alot of bells and whistles, but would like one that is
sturdy. What are your favorites? This is for a 70 year old man.

If you can find a Bernina 830 (old style) that is really a great
mechanical machine that would be in that price range. A Singer 401
or 500 is a wonderful machine too.
Taria
Old April 9th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

I feel your pain, Val! It really hits home doesn't it g
.
In message , Val
writes

OMG.....a Singer born in 1959 is older than you?? I have bathrobes older
than you, I probably have leftovers hiding in the back of my fridge OLDER
than you. *sobbing* These are the days when I hate that they reduced the
alcohol content in Geritol. ~sigh~

Val

It hits home for me, too, Pat and Val -- the old folks' home, that is!

Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old April 9th 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Val! Chill, babe. Geritol still works; just add the everclear, one-to-one
(shot glass); never fails.

Mechanical machine: whatever works. I have 3 machines that are older
than I, and I ain't saying how old that is (doctored Geritol messes
w/ the math part of my brain). My favorite mechanical was the
Janome Décor Excel; gave it to my (new) d-i-l last Christmas.
Cheapest way to make quilts is by hand; baby quilts don't take long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999ph8iRT4o

R/Sandy - handquilter

On 4/8/09 3:55 PM, in article , "Val"

Old April 9th 09, 08:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Good one, Sandy gg
..
In message , Sandy