Question for those who don't prewash

Old March 25th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Default Question for those who don't prewash

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I've made hundreds of crib quilts. Never 'pre' wash; always wash before
sending. Never have had one bleed. It's probably because I'm such a good
person and live such a pure life. OTOH, maybe it's because I haven't used
dark brown in a quilt. You'll never know. Polly

Uhh,, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and figure it's the latter.

ducking and running

Cindy

Old March 25th 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I'm a pre-washer & also wash completed quilts before giving or using
them. If I am giving something that I think may bleed, I suggest that
the recipient use a Color Catcher when washing, at least until it comes
back with no new color. I have also included a box of Color Catchers
with the quilt a few times.

Julia in MN

Louise in Iowa wrote:
I'll be making a quilt for my niece and her husband, and it will have a very
dark brown fabric in it. I prewash, and when I prewashed this fabric, I used
synthrapol (sp?). I then ran it through another wash with a color catcher,
which came out very dark brown. I did that about five more times with the
color catcher before it quit releasing dye. If I hadn't, I'm afraid my niece
would have ended up with a quilt with brown dye in a lot of spots where it
shouldn't be after the first time she washed it.

So here's my question. If you don't prewash, what do you do to prevent
bleeding after the quilt is finished? If I were going to keep the quilt, I
wouldn't worry about it too much, but if I'm going to give it away, I'd hate
the thought that the recipient might wash it and end up with a bleeding
mess. I usually provide instructions to wash the quilt in cold water and
then tumble dry, just in case there's still some excess dye, but with some
fabrics, it doesn't seem to matter if the water is hot or cold - they're
still gonna' bleed! I'm just curious to know how you deal with it.

Thanks!

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default

Old March 25th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
It's probably because I'm such a good person and live such a pure life.
Polly

snort! ..........thinking about the mayonnaise jar under the bed marked
"Polly's emergency bail fund".

Val

Old March 25th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I've given quilts with color catchers and washing instructions.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Louise in Iowa" wrote in message
Giving the box of color catchers might do the trick if it still bleeds
after it's finished. Or maybe I'll just tell her to bring it back to me
when she wants it washed! She's going to be a busy young lady - she's
expecting a little one in September and has just bought her own business -
so I don't know if she'll be as focused on taking care of a quilt the
"right way." Yep, doing it myself might be the best thing!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

"AuntK" wrote in message
On Mar 25, 2:48 pm, "Louise in Iowa" wrote:
[...]

nieland1390@mchsi dot comhttp://community.webshots.com/user/louiseiniowa

Louise,
I'm a prewasher as well. I had a similar experience with a green
fabric a couple of years ago. When I prewash I don't use any
additives to set and/or catch colors. Since this was alot of yardage
(backing for queen quilt) it was by itself in the washer/dryer. I
went on my merry way sandwiching and (hand) quilting. During the
quilting I noticed that some of the dye was still rubbing off on my
clothing! I always wash finished quilts as well before giving them
away to get rid of markings, dog hair, etc. I did throw a color
catcher in with the quilt in warm water. It didn't bleed onto the
lighter fabrics but I ended up washing it several more times w/
multiple color catchers each time. I was still getting dye on the
catchers. I ended up giving bro & SIL a box of color catchers with
the quilt and told them to use them each time they washed the quilt.
They live distant to me and frankly I have no idea if they have ever
used and/or washed the quilt. I've never heard a word from them about
it so I'm guessing either the color catchers are working or they are
not using the quilt.

FWIW the only time I've had issues with colors running and setting are
with red. Washed a red tshirt of DH's with the rest of his nasty work
clothes. Light colored pants came out pinkish/purple. And this was a
shirt that had been washed repeatedly before. I finally threw it
away. At least it really didn't make a difference to him - just funny
looks/questions from his brothers!

Kim in NJ

Old March 25th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

Sounds like a good idea! I was trying to think of what my reaction would be
if someone gave me a guilt and it bled - the first thought would be that it
was my fault, and I'd never have the nerve to tell the person who gave it to
me. At least if you give them washing instructions and color catchers,
they'd know what they SHOULD do to take care of it.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old March 26th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Well, I am a prewasher when it comes to making clothing, but not
usually when it comes to quilts. VBG
And I do wash finished quilts, with a color catcher in cold water,
machine dry.
One thing to remember is that there is a difference between color
running and color transferring. G Frequently you will get color
running or bleeding but that color may not transfer to another fabric.
Especially with today's dyes. It is like fabric that isn't
colorfast.... the color is lost, but it won't transfer, permanently to
another fabric because of at least a couple of things. In order for
dye to transfer and "dye" a different fabric the fabric must be
"prepared" to accept the dye. (Different dyes need different
preparation, and it can have a lot to do with the Ph of your water
too. ) And there must be a "mordant" to set the dye in the fabric.
Also a dye bath will only color a certain amount of fabric, and it
must be used within a certain time frame to work.
If a dye bath is "exhausted" it may still look like dye, but there
won't be any particles "loose" to adhere to the new fabric. And if it
is "old" the reaction will probably not happen.

You are much more likely to get color transfer when damp fabric is
left sitting in contact with other fabric for a period of time.
Sometimes this will come out easily, sometimes it won't. sigh.
(Of course having a QI in training have an accident on some fabrics is
a whole 'nother story. After all one of the classic mordants/
preparation mixtures involves urine. sigh. )

Yes I have had a fabric or two bleed out into neighboring fabric on a
very few occasions. But I like the look of the un-washed fabric in the
class samples and such. sigh.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old March 26th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I surely hope it's a big mayonnaise jar, just in case I get really really
bored with being pure. Polly

"Val" wrote
"Polly Esther" wroteIt's probably because I'm such a good person and
live such a pure life.

Old March 26th 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Polly where was that spew warning ???
The first 3 sentences I thought you were writing about me,
then I laughed 'cos I knew you weren't when I read the 4th.
I have used dark brown in a top that became a doona cover and it didn't run.

Dee in Oz

Old March 26th 09, 09:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Pati, in Phx wrote:
Well, I am a prewasher when it comes to making clothing, but not
usually when it comes to quilts. VBG

I'm the other way around! I prewash my quilting fabrics, but not my
clothing fabrics.

Lizzy
Old March 26th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I do prewash everything, and sometimes accidents happen anyway. The
color run remover is my friend!
Roberta in D