Residual-Income Opportunity ¦w©~®a¤¤ÁÈ¿úªº·s¬ö

Old September 16th 03, 10:06 PM
havana bill & holly

Default Residual-Income Opportunity ¦w©~®a¤¤ÁÈ¿úªº·s¬ö

You know things are slow on the ng when the first new post in nearly a week
is OT spam :- (

Old September 17th 03, 02:41 AM
Chuck

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:06:00 -0400, "havana bill & holly"
wrote:

You know things are slow on the ng when the first new post in nearly a week
is OT spam :- (

Yep, it does slow down quite a bit these days. Oh, for the good ol'
days, with 100 new messages a week and 50 or more active members.
Well, that was nearly 7 years ago, and most of those folks got run off
by the spammers or just went to the message boards, which are more
focused, filtered and maintained. A lot of people are doing that, but
I hang out here, just in case. Besides, along with Dawn and a few
others, I feel kind of a proprietary interest in the NG.

A surprising number of people I talk to haven't the slightest idea
that UseNet even exists, much less have any idea how to access it.
I'm also a woodturner, and belong to a turning club with close to 100
members. MOST have never heard of rec.crafts.woodturning, or even
heard of UseNet, so I'm not surprised that it gets slow here.

There are so many new people online every day, and it's not like the
"old days," when people had far fewer choices beyond local BBS's on
FidoNet and online services like GEnie, Prodigy and the infant AOL.

Well, that's progress, I guess.... : * (

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old September 17th 03, 02:44 AM
Carol

Well, I was on this newsgroup when it was the only group related to
dollhouses on the web. There was an AOL group when I was on AOL but it
wasn't very good. Now there's many Yahoo groups, about.com, and the
dollhouse magazines have discussion groups. They're moderated so you don't
have to put up with spam, but of course you have to put up with censorship.
One of the Yahoo groups has over 800 members. I come back to this group for
sentimental reasons.

I use newsgroups quite a lot for computers. Interestingly, there's not a
lot of spam on those groups.

The lack of posts on this ng is our own fault.
Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old September 17th 03, 04:09 PM
Chuck

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:44:13 GMT, "Carol"
wrote:

Well, I was on this newsgroup when it was the only group related to
dollhouses on the web.

Technically, this newsgroup isn't on the "web." UseNet is UseNet and
the WWW is the WWW, but I get your meaning.

They're moderated so you don't
have to put up with spam, but of course you have to put up with censorship.

Bingo!

There's a lot to be said for freedom of speech.

The lack of posts on this ng is our own fault.

Well, I suppose, but you can't really bodily drag new users onto the
ng, and the half-dozen or so people that still frequent it are
apparently still here to offer advice to others (or to say "We sell
that" in one newcomer's case) rather than to ask questions, or just
"discuss."

I used to post how-to's from time to time, but they generated little
interest, so I stopped bothering after a while.

Besides, what are the "issues," that haven't already been covered a
hundred times over? We are all apparently experienced miniaturists
and workers in various media, so are all probably equally capable of
solving whatever problems we run into. Which is probably why we hang
around here to offer our advice to others, come to think of it.

Anyhow, I don't think the ng will die out completely, but it _is_ kind
of sad to see it just sitting here, stagnant.

Old September 25th 03, 06:19 PM

I check for new stuff every day. By the way, I will be away for surgery and
rehab for about 3 weeks and also moving so I will have a new e-mail, but I
will always be 'trille'