Lights - Ott and Otherwise

Old January 24th 04, 07:14 PM
Janet Rice

Default Lights - Ott and Otherwise

My stitching nest is a corner of the family room. Right now I've got
a standard end table lamp, but it really doesn't work. I'd like to
get a floor standing lamp that can sit beside my chair - perhaps on
the other side from the end table - so I'd like some recommendations.

First question - what is a good all around, not dreadfully expensive
light to get? Next question - safety. Umm, are Ott lights and their
like halogen lamps? I've know of halogen lights causing fires from
the heat of the bulb and that bothers me, particularly since I'd
rather do needlework than dust.

Any suggestions for good lighting are most welcome.

Janet Rice
Old January 24th 04, 07:44 PM
Bonnie

I have a Dazor magnifying light. I use it more for the light but it is so
nice to have the magnification when I need it. It was pricey -- I guess
around $185 when I got it about three years ago (I have not yet had to
replace the bulb). Instead of purchasing one of their pricey stands, I went
to Target and got an inexpensive chair-side table, ordered a bushing from
Dazor and had my husband drill a whole in the table for the bushing and then
inserted the light into that. Then I made a cover for the light out of
leftover drapery fabric so I wouldn't have to worry about sunlight and the
magnifying lense while I was away from home. ;-)

--
Bonnie

WIPs:
EGA's English Band Sampler ICC
Stitch-n-Zip Patchwork Checkbook Cover
Knitted Cardigan
Knitted Amish Throw

om...

Old January 24th 04, 07:59 PM
Jenn Ridley

Janet Rice wrote:

Umm, are Ott lights and their
like halogen lamps?

No. Ott lights are fluorescent lights. They run even cooler than
incandescent lights.

I've known of halogen lights causing fires from
the heat of the bulb and that bothers me, particularly since I'd
rather do needlework than dust.

With proper shielding (and new halogen lamps aren't sold without
proper shielding) halogen lights are as safe as incandescents.

Any suggestions for good lighting are most welcome.

I currently have an Ott floor lamp by my stitching chair, although I
rarely use it. I find that the 100W equivalent fluorescent in the
reading lamp next to the chair is sufficient.

My mom has a tensor daylight floor lamp in her stitching area. It's
very similar to the Ott light, but less expensive. (My Ott was a gift
from DH.)

I have Chromalux tru-light incandescent bulbs in the task lights in
the sewing room, and those are quite nice. Daylight balanced, quite
bright, and fit standard incandescent fixtures.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

WIP: Art Stitch Rose Trio, Emperor's Coat, Stretch, Halloween Circle
Most recently Finished: Santa Christmas Stocking, Will Work for Freezer Space, Turnberry Ridge
Old January 25th 04, 03:09 PM
cath

I have a Dazor magnifying light. I use it more for the light but it is so
nice to have the magnification when I need it.

Instead of purchasing one of their pricey stands,

ordered a bushing from
Dazor and had my husband drill a whole in the table for the bushing and then
inserted the light into that.

i did the same thing. i found an end table at the thrift store for $7.00 and
painted it. (even has a door and a drawer in the end table to stash supplies
i had the stand but felt it was too high and looked awful in my living room. so
it went back fast!

Old January 25th 04, 05:15 PM
Bonnie

"cath" wrote in message
i did the same thing. i found an end table at the thrift store for $7.00

and
painted it. (even has a door and a drawer in the end table to stash

supplies
i had the stand but felt it was too high and looked awful in my living

room. so
it went back fast!

Yes, mine has a drawer in it also but just has a shelf at the bottom. I
stack all my current needlework magazines on the shelf and have a small
decorated hat-type box with thread, steel crochet hooks, etc. I had to
clean out the drawer the other day because I had stashed so much stuff in
there I couldn't open it all the way!

Old January 25th 04, 11:47 PM
Lin706

First question - what is a good all around, not dreadfully expensive
light to get? Next question - safety. Umm, are Ott lights and their
like halogen lamps? I've know of halogen lights causing fires from
the heat of the bulb and that bothers me, particularly since I'd
rather do needlework than dust.

I have an Ott light floor lamp. I bought it at JoAnn's with a 40% off coupon,
so the end price was around $90. The bulb doesn't get hot and it has made it
much easier to see while stitching. I also got my Mom one. She has no vision
in one eye due to macular degeneration but still likes to do some stitching,
reading and crossword puzzles. The Ott light is working well for her.

Linda
Old January 26th 04, 01:38 PM
Jacco Burger

http://www.luxous.com/

The Luxo company got good lights. They are not cheap but the quality is
superb.
I'm trying out the manifique from my mother- in- law and it's a very good
lamp with magnifiers.
I'm thinking of buying the Wave with magnifiers. They have lamps without
magnifiers too.

Hth

Kind regards
Sandra
Netherlands

"Janet Rice" schreef in bericht
om...

Old January 27th 04, 02:04 PM
Lynne Demmery

I just bought this lamp from Lee Valley Tools here in Canada, it's
fantastic. The bulb is a Daylight bulb. I personally think it's just
as good or better than the Luxo ones. And it's reasonably priced at
$82CA. Have a look. Price is reasonable and I believe they ship
internationally. (You may have to cut and paste the URL in your
Address strip.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...gory=1,41 637

If it doesn't work. Go to www.leevalley.ca then search for magnifying
lamp.

Old January 27th 04, 03:28 PM
Threaded

Don't forget to check online with Office Depot, Staples, etc. We got my
Ott-Lite floor one for $89+ or so, and if you purchase a certain dollar
amount, they ship it free, within a week. I love it!

Also, you can search on Ott-Lites or true-lite - you can compare them, and
there should be sites with everyone you can think of who sells them.

Happy Hunting!!

Standard Disclaimer, etc.

Eva in 40ish Kent, WA, US

om...

Old January 27th 04, 03:44 PM
Ellice

On 1/27/04 8:04 AM,"Lynne Demmery" posted:

I just bought this lamp from Lee Valley Tools here in Canada, it's
fantastic. The bulb is a Daylight bulb. I personally think it's just
as good or better than the Luxo ones. And it's reasonably priced at
$82CA. Have a look. Price is reasonable and I believe they ship

It is reasonable, only $58 US. But, I couldn't find where they described the
bulb as a Daylight bulb, just said 22 W flourescent. It looks really nice.

Ellice - who has an Ott light, but is looking for another lamp for the
drafting table/studio

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...119&category=1,