Guild Challenge

Old June 16th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Default Guild Challenge

OK, maybe I can start a discussion here. Does anyone have any new ideas for
a Guild Challenge? We've done ugly fabric, including certain design
features such as a star, a certain color fabric, or a certain block. I'm
looking for something new and exciting!! I've read about an idea where you
give each participant a paint chip and they have to use that color....has
anyone done such a thing? We could also do black and white and one other
color. Our meeting is Saturday and the committee hopes to come up with some
good ideas. Any thoughts?

Old June 16th 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Our guild did the paint chip. The leader went to Lowe's and got color
cards---the ones with 3 pages that has different values and shades of the 3
colors on the chip. We had to use at least 2 of the colors. All the cards
were in a bag, we reached in and got one----no exchanges-you had to use the
one you drew. Some used all the colors, some used as little as possible,
such as batiks, etc. One went to Lowe's and got an actual small can of
paint and painted a big flower in the main color. Fun
Gen

Old June 16th 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Alice in PA" wrote:

OK, maybe I can start a discussion here. Does anyone have any new ideas for
a Guild Challenge? We've done ugly fabric, including certain design
features such as a star, a certain color fabric, or a certain block. I'm
looking for something new and exciting!! I've read about an idea where you
give each participant a paint chip and they have to use that color....has
anyone done such a thing? We could also do black and white and one other
color. Our meeting is Saturday and the committee hopes to come up with some
good ideas. Any thoughts?

Last year our guild did a "crayon challenge" The person in charge
bought a brand new big box of crayons and put them in a paper bag.
People who wanted to participate drew two crayons out of the bag without
peeking. The person in charge wrote those two colors down. The quilt
had to be made predominantly with those two colors, but I think another
color could be added to the mix.

There were some really great quilts from that challenge.

marcella
Old June 16th 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

First a question. How many might participate? Here's my idea.

Have one bag with a fat quarter, another with a paint chip (for a color
fabric to add), and a third with a spool of thread. They would have to draw
one from each and could add one more fabric to go with the first two. The
thread would have to be used for quilting so it would show. Not just the
piecing.

Just my idea.

Steve
Alaska

Old June 17th 11, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Some great ideas! I especially like the one using a given thread. Thank you
all, and keep them coming................

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
mmunications...

Old June 17th 11, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Hmm,
1. "Step outta the Box", do a technique you've never tried
2. "Who Are You?" do a self-portrait [boy! that can be fun, how each
person chooses to interpret themselves!]
3. Poem challenge - take a poem to be interpreted, all use the same
poem [or if a big guild, have 2 or 3 poems to choose from]
4. Have people sign up, then bring four FQ to next meeting in a small
brown [non-transparent] bag. Number the bags, have corresponding tags.
Each draws a number and gets that bag. You can add one or two fabrics
to that, set a size limit. Each fabric pulled must be used.

Hope that helps.
Ginger in CA

Old June 17th 11, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Oh - I like number 4 especially. I must note that down for our group
for the year after next.
This year (for completion at our show next year) we are doing a 'tote
bag' - minimum and maximum sizes specified - using a piece of challenge
fabric (and boy will it be a challenge - very realistic olives in three
colours).
..
In message
,
Ginger in CA writes
Hmm,
1. "Step outta the Box", do a technique you've never tried
2. "Who Are You?" do a self-portrait [boy! that can be fun, how each
person chooses to interpret themselves!]
3. Poem challenge - take a poem to be interpreted, all use the same
poem [or if a big guild, have 2 or 3 poems to choose from]
4. Have people sign up, then bring four FQ to next meeting in a small
brown [non-transparent] bag. Number the bags, have corresponding tags.
Each draws a number and gets that bag. You can add one or two fabrics
to that, set a size limit. Each fabric pulled must be used.

Hope that helps.
Ginger in CA

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old June 17th 11, 10:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:44:14 -0400, Alice in PA wrote:

OK, maybe I can start a discussion here. Does anyone have any new ideas
for a Guild Challenge? We've done ugly fabric, including certain design
features such as a star, a certain color fabric, or a certain block.
I'm looking for something new and exciting!! I've read about an idea
where you give each participant a paint chip and they have to use that
color....has anyone done such a thing? We could also do black and white
and one other color. Our meeting is Saturday and the committee hopes to
come up with some good ideas. Any thoughts?

A medallion quilt you have never done before.
Those can be as simple as old fashioned framed squares (which need not be
simple at all), or as complex as gorgeous chrysanthemum. There are
plenty of in betweens too.

A counterpoint challenge.
Some blocks that are not traditional counterpoint patterns lend
themselves to it very well indeed.

Secondary patterns.
Use traditional pieced blocks that form an allover pattern, but make the
secondary pattern they form the focus. Harder than it sounds.

Yellow, red, and blue will do...
Can you make a quilt using nothing but the three primary colors? Of
course you can!

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old June 17th 11, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

On 16/06/2011 3:44 PM, Alice in PA wrote:
OK, maybe I can start a discussion here. Does anyone have any new ideas
for a Guild Challenge? We've done ugly fabric, including certain design
features such as a star, a certain color fabric, or a certain block. I'm
looking for something new and exciting!! I've read about an idea where
you give each participant a paint chip and they have to use that
color....has anyone done such a thing? We could also do black and white
and one other color. Our meeting is Saturday and the committee hopes to
come up with some good ideas. Any thoughts?

My guild did the "paint chip" challenge - the piece could use light,
medium and dark values of the chosen colour plus black and white. We
called it our "monochrome challenge" and the results were great!

Another way to do it is for people to get their own paint chips - the
restriction is that the colours had to match their initials....so I
would need an "A" and an "H". This was done at another guild and again
with great results.

Alternatively is to set a theme. IMHO it helps if it is very broad. We
did "Food" one year. Most people stayed with something edible.... I did
"Food for Thought" with a stack of books LOL

HTH
Allison

Old June 17th 11, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Olives! I immediately thought of a stylized olive tree with the
(most likely???) over-sized olives hanging on it. And who on rctq
was so very clever to make a Drunkard's Path using polka dots?
(Sorry, my life got crazy again and I can't remember anything but I
*loved* the idea and the resulting mini-quilt!) Using the oval olives
for a lop-sided Drunkard's Path could get very interesting.

Have fun, Pat!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

On Jun 17, 1:58*am, Pat S wrote:
Oh - I like number 4 especially. *I must note that down for our group
for the year after next.
This year (for completion at our show next year) we are doing a 'tote
bag' - minimum and maximum sizes specified - using a piece of challenge
fabric (and boy will it be a challenge - very realistic olives in three
colours).
.
In message
,
Ginger in CA writes

Hmm,
1. "Step outta the Box", do a technique you've never tried
2. "Who Are You?" do a self-portrait [boy! that can be fun, how each
person chooses to interpret themselves!]
3. Poem challenge - take a poem to be interpreted, all use the same
poem [or if a big guild, have 2 or 3 poems to choose from]
4. Have people sign up, then bring four FQ to next meeting in a small
brown [non-transparent] bag. Number the bags, have corresponding tags.
Each draws a number and gets that bag. You can add one or two fabrics
to that, set a size limit. Each fabric pulled must be used.

Hope that helps.
Ginger in CA

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Guild Challenge Results Alice Quilting 17 March 23rd 08 10:09 PM
Guild UFO challenge Julia in MN Quilting 6 January 28th 08 03:53 AM
guild challenge -draft yvette Quilting 6 October 18th 07 08:34 PM
my design for our guild challenge kratersge Quilting 10 December 26th 06 06:15 AM
guild challenge sharon gates Quilting 8 April 10th 05 01:03 AM