spray baste video

Old June 17th 11, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default spray baste video

I think I might just give this a try. I don't like the idea of breathing
the spray but out in the garage with the
doors open seems safer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwV8tUkhxUM

Taria

Old June 17th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Hi Taria

Well, maybe you read my earlier posting that I was going to try this. I
say, GO FOR IT! I am very pleased with the results of the smaller wall
quilt that I just finished.

The video was very informative, and here are some of my thoughts about what
I will do like her and what I will do like I want to.

I really like the idea of doing it on the wall. I did mine on the carpeted
floor, and as pleased as I was with the results, I definitely see that the
gravity effect and the hard surface of the wall would make this so much
easier. Not only for smoothing out all the layers, but also for simply
laying in out. I had to do some readjusting several times on the floor.

I believe that she sprayed way too close. In the section where she was
spraying the backing fabric, you could see the line of spray. The can says
12 to 18 inches away. To me this distanc would/did give a more overall even
and thinner coat of spray baste with no spots of any layer not adhered to
each other.

I also liked the hint to fold over part of the backing onto the front so
that the spray basting will not get on your machine. I had a wee little bit
of a problem of this, but by cutting the excess backing off but leaving a
little bit to fold over will definitely solve the problem.

Doing basting this way and maching quilting is so nice not having to deal
with pins. I've tried, and worked, and struggled, with pins and thread, and
just can't seem to get the hang of it. The downside is finding a space,
without flames but good ventilation, to do this.

Good luck.

Steven
Alaska

Old June 17th 11, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I liked her method, but wasn't she a naughty girl: cutting towards
herself with the pizza cutter? Definitely a no-no; I have the scar to
prove it!

And I agree, 12-18" uses less 505 and does a good job. Though maybe
that is why her quilt stayed basted for 5 years and the website
reckons on 4 months.

I'm a belt-'n'-braces kinda gal: I use the 505 and then thread baste
for HQ. It keeps it all still whilst I can get at it. Also stops
tucks sneaking in when I'm not looking. But I don't thread baste for
MQ or for pillows (cushions). It does save so much time and effort,
and pinned fingers.

Nel
(GQ)
Old June 19th 11, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Thanks Steven. I have the space to do this outside so that kind of makes it
do-able for me.
I just don't want to be breathing all that stuff in the house. I don't have
too much trouble
with the pinning but the removing them as I go a pain. Now I just need to
finish a top
to quilt!
Taria

mmunications...

"Taria" wrote in message
I think I might just give this a try. I don't like the idea of breathing
the spray but out in the garage with the
doors open seems safer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwV8tUkhxUM

Taria

¢¾¢¾¢¾Video and Software supermarket !good quality and cheap price!brand new, and factory sealed!¢À¢À¢À video [email protected] Quilting 0 May 2nd 08 08:35 AM
Where Do You Baste? mrsb Quilting 25 July 12th 04 04:37 PM
Why *wouldn't you spray baste?? hfw Quilting 13 July 6th 04 10:30 PM
How do you baste canvas Warmhands Yarn 4 June 17th 04 06:27 AM
How do you baste canvas Warmhands General Crafting 0 June 16th 04 03:52 PM