OT (sorta): Laundry detergent

Old November 4th 05, 03:55 PM
Mystified One

Default OT (sorta): Laundry detergent

I need a laundry detergent for my delicates and hand knits that's free from
dyes and perfumes. I've found that I'm starting to react to Woolite and I
want to know what works for delicates (what I wear for work) that I won't
have a reaction to.

What do people recommend?

Old November 4th 05, 04:33 PM
MRH

I use Tide myself, but that likely wouldn't help you.

My Dad and I both had a reaction to Snuggle fabric softener. My Mom bought
it once, and she did the wash while I hung the clothes on the line. The
entire time I was hanging out the clothes I was sneezing non-stop. That
night when they went to bed on clean sheets from the line, my Dad also
started sneezing. That was the end of Snuggle being in our house... my Mom
gave it to someone else who had no problem with it. We went back to using
Fleecy!

Gem

Old November 4th 05, 07:02 PM
Norma Woods

You could also try your shampoo as a last resort.
--
In Star love and friendship,
Norma Woods

Old November 4th 05, 07:05 PM
Wooly

If you've got soft water you can use Ivory soap flakes or another
"just plain soap" product that is available in your area. You'll want
to use HOT water for your whites or they'll start to get a bit dingy
after while, and your washer will appreciate an occasional drink of
vinegar to cut the soap deposits.

Hard water and soap don't get along, however, so if you have hard
water look for an unfragranced/dye-free laundry product like AllFree
or CheerFree.

Or, go ot a feed store and buy a gallon of "Orvis Paste". The stuff
is straight sodium laurel sulfate (detergent), no dyes or fragrances.
I use a teaspoon in a large load of laundry (two teaspoons for kid
clothes that are full of grunge), or about 3 tablespoons per pound of
raw fleece.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old November 4th 05, 09:45 PM
Katherine

Mystified One wrote:
I need a laundry detergent for my delicates and hand knits that's
free from dyes and perfumes. I've found that I'm starting to react
to Woolite and I want to know what works for delicates (what I wear
for work) that I won't have a reaction to.

What do people recommend?

Ivory Snow?

Katherine

Old November 5th 05, 12:19 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Norma Woods"
wrote:

You could also try your shampoo as a last resort.

Shampoos have lots of parfumes, or added smells in it as well. Often all
kinds of other stuff like conditioners and other dumb stuff as well.
Maybe just going to the store and read lables will get you the right
product. There are lots of good detergents out there without any smells
or additives in it for people with allergic reactions. I use a local one
that is calledVIP, it is made by VIP soap products in Mission BC, Canada.
I am sure that it is not widely available. Two years ago, when we had
another very dry summer, Otto and I decided that with shortage of water,
we had to come up with some creative watering plans for the garden if we
did not want to loose lots of plants. I now route my used water from the
washing machine into to garden. That means that you have to work with
cold water as well as with a detergent that is biodegradable, and has low
suds. This is what we have come up with. I am sure there will be a good
detergent for you as well. Go on line and start looking, and read lables
as well.

Good luck

Els
Old November 5th 05, 02:09 AM

Mystified One wrote:
I need a laundry detergent for my delicates and hand knits that's free from
dyes and perfumes. I've found that I'm starting to react to Woolite and I
want to know what works for delicates (what I wear for work) that I won't
have a reaction to.

What do people recommend?

Ivory Snow might be worth a try.

http://www.ivory.com/YourIvoryProducts_IvorySnow.htm

BB

Old November 6th 05, 06:14 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Els van Dam wrote:
"Norma Woods" wrote:

You could also try your shampoo as a last resort.

Shampoos have lots of parfumes, or added smells in it as well. Often all
kinds of other stuff like conditioners and other dumb stuff as well.
Maybe just going to the store and read labels will get you the right
product. There are lots of good detergents out there without any smells
or additives in it for people with allergic reactions.

Reading labels is the first line of defense, but I've heard that even the
"unscented" products often have a chemical cover-up added. I don't know
whether it removes the smell of the other ingredients or whether it just
makes your nose not notice the smell.

Most shampoos are very similar to most liquid dish detergents. Besides
conditioners, the colors and scents are about the only difference.
Liquid laundry detergent usually has bleaches or borax or some other
"brightener" chemicals besides the detergent. Since the original
poster is reacting to Woolite, maybe ordinary soap will work, but
if she has a shampoo she can use, as long as it doesn't have a
conditioner in it, it ought to be good for hand washable clothes.
If she has a dishwashing detergent she likes, that should work, too.

=Tamar
Old November 6th 05, 02:45 PM
Ann

I use ALL brand "free" laundry soap and SNUGGLE free and clear
softener. During the cooler months I have to be careful to use laundry
soap without any additives, or else I end up scratching all day and end
up with bruises. Also, using a good moisturizing lotion everyday helps
a lot, something with oatmeal is especially good. Good luck!

Ann