Surface Embroidery Piece

Old November 19th 03, 05:00 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default Surface Embroidery Piece

OK -- I am working on this really cute little Christmas piece for Raechel, the
SMDGD. WE have a Plaid Outlet Store not too terribly far away and i wa there
shopping about a month or so ago. One of my friends found this darling little
kit with a lamb in the center "Baby's First Christmas" written around it and
then a bunch of red SRE flowers and leaves with floss stems. The "fun" part is
the lamb. the ears, mouth, hand & feetsies are done in a beige floss satin
stitch, the tail is white floss satin stitch and the body is filled with 4mm
SRE French Knots. OY -- all those French Knots -- LOLOL!
first problem is that the fabric is a countable, loosely woven (for SRE and
surface embroidery, anyway) white that has *huge* spaces between the threads!
I mean, this stuff is almost afghan fabric, I think! Makes it *very* difficult
to get nice satin stitching done :-(. But then , it IS a lamb (Rachel means
lamb in Hebrew, I think) and it IS for Baby[s First Christmas so The
GrandMother just HAS to stitch it up.
It's not very big -- maybe all of 6" in diameter. It's too big for an
ornament and not really big enough for a pillow. I suppose I could make a
pieced border for it but then DD would have to find some place to keep the
blasted thing during the "off season". Anyone got ay ideas of what I could do
with this thing? Not gonna frame it -- DD would have to store a framed piece
too -- LOLOL! I *suppose* I could make it into some sort of large ornament
that could be hung in the tree wherever there is a bare spot. I just don't
like the idea of all that tree sap getting on the piece over the years. It's
not heirloom stuff but it IS a keepsake and I would like the SMDGD to have it
for a long time!!
So -- any ideas? I'm tired and my brain is fried from trying to write those
directions for the Perfect Mitered Corners :-))! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old November 19th 03, 05:21 AM
Mavia Beaulieu

Sounds like a really nice project, Tia Mary! Could you make it into an
ornament that is hung on a separate ornament display stand? I use them
to hold stitched ornaments that I particularly treasure.

Mavia

PS: Thanks for the mitered corner instructions!

.

Old November 19th 03, 02:16 PM
Carolyn Wagner

Can you work it into a dress for the little one? It could still be displayed
every year on one of those small dress forms or hung on a fancy hanger or
even put on a stuffed animal for display. I can see this in an annual
picture tradition... first year, the darling baby in the dress, then the
following years the dress on a stuffed bear with her beside it, sort of like
a growth chart in pictures!

Another idea would be to applique it onto a Christmas stocking. That would
surely be displayed every year, also.

HTH,
Carolyn
"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...

Old November 19th 03, 03:08 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I think it should be "pieced" and made into a sweet pillow. Too big for
an ornament. I've made a couple of five-inch ornaments and they are
HUGE and look ugly on a tree - they just sit there saying "look at me".
Just my opinion.

Project sounds nice. Obviously, though, the designer needs to learn
more about better grounds for surface work. grin This happens a lot
when designers move from one medium to the other.

Which brings me to another needlework thought. We've talked about
"design" in the past, and I've noted how I'm not fond of abstract.
Particularly the art of the 60's, 70's, 80's. Over this past week, I
discovered (partially) why.

I have a needlework book with the jacket showing a lovely drawn fabric
piece. I couldn't stand it (art wise), and then it hit me. I gave the
book to hubby and said, "What's wrong with this design?" He stared at
it for a few minutes and said, "The beads".

EXACTLY. In our quest for coming up with something "new" for
embroidery, we are stuck with our own originality and current culture.
All you see when you look at this design is beads. Your eyes are drawn
to them. They stick out like sore thumbs. What you completely miss is
the exquisite embroidery.

Dianne

Old November 19th 03, 09:06 PM
seaspray

Maybe you could make it into a smaller decorative pillow trimmmed with
cording or something pretty. You could fashion a nice hanger for it with the
cording. It could hang near the tree, on a door knob, or in her room just
for the holidays. It could be wrapped and tucked in with the ornaments for
the following year.

BTW, it sounds really nice. An heirloom piece. I have started an ornament
box for my DD. I either buy one or make one and place it in there. It
usually corresponds to something she is interested in that particular year.
This will be her 8th Christmas. This is something that I hope to give her
when she marries or gets her own home. Just a little something to get her
started with her own tree someday. Maybe this is something you would be
interested in for the little one?

Seaspray

So -- any ideas?

Old November 20th 03, 12:36 AM
Meredith

My mom has given us ornaments every Christmas, and now has them all in a
spreadsheet to make sure everything's off the tree and that we don't get
ours mixed up. Five kids = a gazillion ornaments!

Meredith

Old November 20th 03, 02:46 AM
Ellice

On 11/19/03 4:06 PM,"seaspray" seaside stitcher @ yahoo. com posted:

Maybe you could make it into a smaller decorative pillow trimmmed with
cording or something pretty. You could fashion a nice hanger for it with the
cording. It could hang near the tree, on a door knob, or in her room just
for the holidays. It could be wrapped and tucked in with the ornaments for
the following year.

I second this idea. A little pillow type thing that hangs on the door, or
the knob. Or how about from a crib post - on the outside - if you can fasten
it so the baby doesn't grab it in some unsafe way.

ellice

So -- any ideas?

Embroidery software futa Machine Knit 0 February 6th 05 06:13 AM
Embroidery software ola Marketplace 0 January 26th 05 12:27 PM
Interesting observation on embroidery techniques. F.James Cripwell Needlework 115 October 28th 03 05:00 AM
Books about Stitches - longish list Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 20 August 8th 03 07:27 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM