Press and Seal

Old September 6th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
She in PA[_2_]

Default Press and Seal

Someone wrote a message about "Press and Seal". I guess the stuff that is
sort of like Saran Wrap? But, I didn't get how they were using it for making
a quilt or machine embroidering. I use Saran Wrap sometimes. But, Press and
Seal is Lumpyand you put you sandwich in the between two pieces and press
all the way around and it seals the sandwich into a little pocket. So, I
can't figure out how tat is going to help me. Please let me know how it will
help me.

She in PA

Old September 6th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

She in PA wrote:
Someone wrote a message about "Press and Seal". I guess the stuff that
is sort of like Saran Wrap? But, I didn't get how they were using it for
making a quilt or machine embroidering. I use Saran Wrap sometimes. But,
Press and Seal is Lumpyand you put you sandwich in the between two
pieces and press all the way around and it seals the sandwich into a
little pocket. So, I can't figure out how tat is going to help me.
Please let me know how it will help me.

She in PA

The reson you use Press 'n Seal is is that it is sticky so you can press
it onto the original drawing you want to copy, and transparent so you
see through it to trace.

Then, when you have traced the design with permanent pen, and when it is
(very) dry you put the Press 'n Seal, sticky side down, on the fabric
where you want to quilt the design. You can position it accurately
because you can see through it. You then quilt along the lines, and when
you have finished tear away the press 'n seal. The slight stickyness
doesn't affect the fabric.

Hope that makes it clearer.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old September 6th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

It is the "lumpy" ("sealy" part) factor that makes it great for use in the
quilting of designs.
First, find a pattern/shape you want to use as a quilting motif. (This can
be from one of the quilting design books - or by using a template you can
buy at a local quilt shop.
Then trace (or copy) that pattern on to the smooth side of the P'n'S with a
permanent marker.
Let it dry thoroughly! [Same thing you'd do if you'd trace it onto
paper.]
Then you place the design (the P'n'S) where you want it on the quilt.
Smooth it down by rubbing gently, making sure that the "lumpy" side is
down. This is what makes it soooo neat! You DON'T have to pin it in place!
It holds beautifully in place, thanks to that "lumpy" finish.

Quilt on the pre-drawn lines, using a fairly short stitch length - or use a
darning foot on your machine with the feed dogs down. When done stitching,
tear/pull the P'n'S off.... the only booger here is narrow, sharp angles -
you might need a tweezer to pick it off inside those tiny points. I've found
that it's sometimes easier to pull off the outside of a design first, making
the inside points (if you have them) easier to get free.

Another great thing (besides not having to pin it down) is that
1. you can also draw guidelines across the design in a second color of ink
(like a large X) so that you can line the design up with the corners - or be
able to keep the design centered.
2. If making a cable design on a border strip, you can draw a line off to
the side of your quilting design to line up with a seam (and keep it nice
and straight.)
3. You don't have to worry about chalk marks smearing, markers not erasing,
or trying to mark directly onto the fabric itself.

If you have some P'n'S on hand, give it a try on a spare block and see how
it works. I love the stuff, 'cuz I can re-position it and don't have to use
pins to hold it in place. (I got tired of bleeding from being stuck with
pins!

ME-Judy (a Press'n'Seal addict)

. ..

Old September 6th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Another option in using the pressn'seal without having to wait for ink
to dry: I prefer to pencil trace any motif onto tracing paper
(usually examining table rolls from my nephew) - stack as many papers
as I need, staple the stack then machine-needle punch through all
copies - tear off a copy - position it on the quilt and cover with a
piece of pressn'seal to hold it in place - quilt. Benefits in my
opinion: pencil tracing can be seen easily on the white paper which
is good for the awkward colours of fabric, the paper makes it easier
to pull out any tiny intersections and the static cling of the plastic
is reduced, there is no waiting time or worry about permanent ink
marks on light coloured fabrics. Any spare copies on tracing paper
can be filed away for another time and only one tracing is necessary
of the original design. The needle punching also gives a practise
session for the free-motion quilting action and any extra 'flourishes'
or other touches can also be added or removed without any quilting
stitches having to be ripped from the final quilt. jennellh
)

Old September 6th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I do a similar thing to this: I draw the quilting motifs onto freezer
paper and lightly press them to the quilt (use freezer paper just so
they will hold still). Then I put P.N.S over the templates and quilt
round them.
This does sound like more work - but a lot of my work is small, so the
increase in effort is very small.
..
In message . com,
jennellh writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 7th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

THANK YOU

I am getting ready to sandwich and then start quilting a wallhanging for my
BIL and was wondering how to transfer my Sashiko designs onto the
appropriate squares. I am off the the store tomorrow after school and plan
on trying this out this weekend.

Press and Seal, here I come.

Steve
Alaska

. ..

Old September 7th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Have fun Steve!

In message , steve
writes

Old September 7th 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joanb

Can any Brits tell me where I can get some P.N.S. in England? I am
raring to go with this amazing technique.
Joan
Coventry UK
On Sep 6, 9:37 pm, Patti wrote:
I do a similar thing to this: I draw the quilting motifs onto freezer
paper and lightly press them to the quilt (use freezer paper just so
they will hold still). Then I put P.N.S over the templates and quilt
round them.
This does sound like more work - but a lot of my work is small, so the
increase in effort is very small.
.
In message . com,
jennellh writes

Old September 7th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

joanb wrote:

Can any Brits tell me where I can get some P.N.S. in England? I am
raring to go with this amazing technique.
Joan
Coventry UK

I am seeing the group who provided the cakes which were wrapped in what
appeared to be PnS, and which I sold at a charity fair, next week. I
just hope the Gingerbread maker is there!

When/if I have a result I will let you know. Mine was kindly brought
back by kind holidaymakers! I hope the Gingerbread person's wasn't.

I keep looking but here in the back of beyond I never go near
Sainsbury's, Asda, etc - just Somerfield and the Co-op! Its the sort of
thing Lakeland would stock, but couldn't see any on their website.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Press and Seal Cynthia Mason Quilting 14 November 20th 04 11:57 AM
Press & Seal julia sidebottom Quilting 10 August 27th 04 07:17 PM
Press and Seal Roberta Zollner Quilting 10 July 15th 04 06:53 PM
Press and Seal? -- Jo in Scotland Quilting 2 March 15th 04 10:15 PM
Press and Seal how to????? Chris_Signe Quilting 3 March 5th 04 11:02 PM