Therapeutic neck pillow, pattern

Old November 12th 03, 04:34 AM
RLK

I hope you are still checking this thread.... this is a Sew News project.
When you click on the first image, a pdf file will open up giving you a good
detailed image for printing. It needs to be enlarged 200%.

http://sewing.about.com/library/sewn.../aaqa1103a.htm

Old November 12th 03, 03:31 PM

Therapeutic neck pillow, pattern

(Me) dribbled on the keyboard...
When using fabric, use 100% cotton, since polyester tends to melt in
the microwave. Then you have little burn holes in the fabric and the
lovely stuffing dribbles out.....you don't need to ask me how I know....
---
Laughing and snorfeling into my sleeve...How can I laugh at you
after spending three winters picking rice up off the floors from my
doggies rice bags? (WITH you--I am laughing With you!) I finally made
zippered denim covers for the cotton dog socks, and learned to remove
the heat packs early in the morning, to a safe location.
The three min-pins have already started begging for their rice bags at
night. They've even pushed warmup time up to 8pm, from 10pm. They pester
me 'till I follow them to the kitchen, where they sit before the Great
God Microwave until I get the hint. These things are a better thrill for
them than eating, and, once I tuck them into their wee dog beds, I get
MY bed to my lonesome--well, except for junior (Thor) who cannot be
bought off by anything. He simply carries his bag up to the foot of my
bed.
I found a cheap source for getting wheat berries, BTW. Remember the
big Year 2000 scare? Around here, anyone who was a card-carrying member
of a health food co-op bought wheat berries by the 40 pound weight.
Now they have no inclination to grind the berries into wheat. I got a
couple of tubs of the stuff from a friend of a friend. Have been soaking
the berries in boiled water, and adding them to healthgrain bread.
Thanks to Penny for the reminder that the berries can be used in heat
bags. I'll stick with rice for the dogs, but gift heat bags will have
wheat berries in them.
Cea

Old November 12th 03, 06:30 PM
joy beeson

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:00:01 GMT, "nana2b"
wrote:

Hi Trish, If I go to buy the wheat for these pillows, exactly what do I
buy? Is there a specific store like Whole Foods? Thanks in Advance,

The cheapest brand of white rice in your supermarket will do
fine.

Any whole grain will do, as long as it doesn't smell bad
when hot, or go rancid when kept at room temperature. Seeds
that contain lots of oil are said to be a bad idea.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old November 13th 03, 03:17 AM
aeromom

"nana2b" wrote in message
Hi Trish, If I go to buy the wheat for these pillows, exactly what do I
buy? Is there a specific store like Whole Foods? Thanks in Advance,

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

I use rice instead. I found this little poem on the Internet -don't remember
where. I attach a printed version of it to gift rice bags. It's kind of
cheesy but you can do a re-write if you want to.

I am a cozy Rice Bag Buddy stitched with pride.
Made especially for you to warm your hide.
Microwave me for one minute and I will be toasty.
I will warm up your neck, back, or toes-ies.
Or put me in the freezer in the frosty air
I will make an icy pack that will cool a polar bear.

Old November 13th 03, 09:07 AM
Me

[...]

Anyone that kind to her puppies can laugh at .... with me.

--

Joanne
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old November 13th 03, 01:29 PM
Emily

How big are your min-pins? DS has 2 Bishons, who are 6 lbs. each and I
think they would enjoy having a rice bag, especially since I am making one
for DS. The way you describe your pups is the way she talks about them.
Emily

Old November 14th 03, 01:30 AM

OT to Cea Therapeutic neck pillow, pattern

(Emily)
How big are your min-pins? DS has 2 Bishons, who are 6 lbs. each and I
think they would enjoy having a rice bag, especially since I am making
one for DS. The way you describe your pups is the way she talks about
them. Emily
---
Hi Emily,
The Mom Dog is a fat little toad--she weighs close to 14 lbs, and is
currently on a diet. Had to put her on one. I'd leave the yard with her
trailing behind on a leash, arrive back home gasping with the exertion
of having toted her heavy little carcass for a whole block. Gives a
whole new meaning to the term 'walking the dog', much to the amusement
of the neighborhood.
I have my own weight issues, so carrying her extra pounds is doing me
in. Her eating was a power trip over the two boys. They weigh a bit less
than she does. One of my neighbors has a min-pin which is probably an
ideal of the breed; thin, with a greyhound-like taper to the
hindquarters, but the poor wee thing looks anorexic to me. My little
people with four legs (and min-pins DO believe they are people) don't
get table scraps; they've porked up on lamb and rice kibble.
Your DS's dogs would love the rice bags. I made the zippered covers
from the legs of old blue jeans. Sew a short zip in one end, sew the
other end shut, and the cover, along with the due diligence of removing
the bags in the morning, seems to keep them from snacking on the rice.
Warning: they do quarrel over ownership of the bags from time to time,
as the bags are very much a 'Precious' to them. Nothing new here; they
believe they own me, and they're undoubtedly right.
Cea

Old November 14th 03, 04:28 AM
Valkyrie

I have a cat that does wind around the legs and meowing thing that most cats
do when somebody is running the cat food can open with a can opener, only he
does it to me while I'm waiting for my rice bags to heat up. As soon as he
hears the dings he's off like a shot to sit on the arm of the couch if day
time or the foot of the bed if it's evening, knowing that as soon as I am
"packed and settled" he's got a warm place to snuggle against.

Val

Old November 14th 03, 04:28 AM
Emily

Thanks. I have always been a Sheltie person, and they owned me. For health
reasons, I am unable to care for one now, but I miss them. DS in SC and a
DD each have one, who get lots of attention when I am around. DS's Bishons
are precious, especially the solid white named Bear. I will take your
advice about making denim covers for them and pass along the info about
removing the rice during the day.
Emily

Old November 14th 03, 12:32 PM
SewStorm

he's off like a shot to sit on the arm of the couch if day
time or the foot of the bed if it's evening, knowing that as soon as I am
"packed and settled" he's got a warm place to snuggle against.

Cats are such hedonists! LOL

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Free pattern of U-shaped neck pillow [email protected] General Crafting 2 March 13th 04 06:35 AM
FA: Abundance of Vogue patterns buck16 Marketplace 0 February 20th 04 08:48 PM
Neck Pillow patterns? aeromom Sewing 3 October 14th 03 04:58 AM
Neck pillow sewing pattern? aeromom Quilting 2 October 14th 03 03:42 AM
New FREE downloadable Pattern Maker Pro 4 zipped cross stitch pattern ! Misty Needlework 0 August 11th 03 10:29 AM