Advice needed on stores/shopping

Old December 12th 03, 07:51 PM
koalamom

Default Advice needed on stores/shopping

Hello all,

I need some advice from some of you out there who live in the Midwest.
I am putting together plans for a tenative trip through Michigan,
Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky later this winter. Part of the trip will
be sightseeing, but mainly I will be hitting various stitching shops
along the way. I am exclusively a cross-stitcher as far as what type
of needlework I do so will be most interested in the shops which are
exclusively catering to X-S or have the bulk of their inventory in
this area. I got a list of shops to consider from a website and I
edited that to include only those who will likely be near my planned
route. I will paste that in at the end of this mail. My questions
are these. 1) If anyone out there has any specific input on a shop on
this list, can you please let me know ? Post it up here on the
newsgroup, I read regularly and if you think about it, you could email
me too. On occasion my newsreader drops posts and doesn't seem to get
them all. 2) If you have any favorites that you think I should try to
stop at if I can and it isn't on this list, then let me know that too.
My tenative route planned now is S out of Ann Arbor, Michigan -
Toledo, Ohio (US-23) - Cinncinnati, OH - Lexington, KY - Mammoth
Cave National Park - Louisville, KY (N) - Indianapolis, IN - (I69)
- Ft. Wayne, IN - (I94) home in A2, MI ... I may not end up going
that route, but this is my plan at the moment. Any input that anyone
has for shops on this list or any shops not along this list, but on
that route, I would really appreciate hearing from you. I don't mind
going mildly out of my way if it is a good place, but if it will be
more than a half hour one way off of this route, then don't worry
about it. Again, ideally shops specializing in X-S or the majority of
their stuff is X-S ... Thanks for any advice. Julie

Indiana
A.D. Stitch'N-frame 4220 Bluffton Rd, Ft Wayne, IN 46809 Ph.
260-478-1301
Erica's Craft & Sewing Center 1320 N Ironwood Dr, South Bend, IN 46615
Ph. 574-233-3112
Hickory Stitchery Dock 8053 Madison Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46227 Ph.
317-534-0255
Needle Fever 3425 E 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46240 Ph. 317-257-5922
Persnickety Stitchers Inc 58A N Main St, Zionsville, IN 46077 Ph.
317-873-5010
Kentucky
Finishing Touch 1257 S Hurstbourne Pkwy, Louisville, KY 40222 Ph.
502-429-8832
J.J.'s Collectables 108 Ensminger Drive #A, Glasgow, KY 42141 Ph.
270-651-3630
Stitch Niche Inc 180 Moore Drive, Lexington, KY 40503 Ph. 859-277-2604
Susan's Stitchery, Inc. 1445 N 3rd St, Bardstown, KY 40004 Ph.
502-348-5334

Michigan
Distinctive Stitches 3420 E Main St, Kalamazoo, MI 49048 Ph.
269-373-4525
Flying Stitch 1534 E Columbia Ave, Battle Creek, MI 49014 Ph.
269-963-4225
In Stitches 2618 Kibby Rd, Jackson, MI 49203 Ph. 517-787-2566

Ohio
Craft Gallery 330 S Blanchard St, Findlay, OH 45840 Ph. 419-422-7980
Creative Cottage 6934 Miami Ave, Cincinnati (Madeira), OH 45243 Ph.
513-271-2028
Cross Stitch Heaven 5747 N Main St, Sylvania, OH 43560 Ph.
419-882-3021
Daisy Barrel 19 W Main, Fairborn, OH 45324 Ph. 937-879-0111
Scarlet Thistle 176 S Main St, Waynesville, OH 45068 Ph. 513-897-1793
Stitches 'n Such 702 Nilles Rd, Indian Springs(Fairfield), OH 45014
Ph. 513-829-2999
Stitching Cottage 689 Miamisburg-Centerville Rd, Dayton (Centerville),
OH 45459 Ph. 937-433-5565
Tapestry Angel 516 Spring St, Piqua, OH 45356 Ph. 937-773-6352
Old December 12th 03, 08:06 PM
Skyhooks

Gosh, I wish I were able to take such a vacation! I've been once to
Needle Fever in Indy some years ago, and it was a great shop from what I
remember. I should go again since Indy is only a two hour drive away.

While you're Louisville, you may want to visit the EGA headquarters
(?). Only a suggestion.

Sweet Stitching!!!!!!!

Helen (Skyhooks)
hmardis *aht* uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

TFTD: Good things turn up when both ends of your mouth do the same!

Old December 12th 03, 08:17 PM
Jenn Ridley

(koalamom) wrote:
My questions
are these. 1) If anyone out there has any specific input on a shop on
this list, can you please let me know ? Post it up here on the
newsgroup, I read regularly and if you think about it, you could email
me too. On occasion my newsreader drops posts and doesn't seem to get
them all. 2) If you have any favorites that you think I should try to
stop at if I can and it isn't on this list, then let me know that too.
My tentative route planned now is S out of Ann Arbor, Michigan -
Toledo, Ohio (US-23) - Cincinnati, OH - Lexington, KY - Mammoth
Cave National Park - Louisville, KY (N) - Indianapolis, IN - (I69)
- Ft. Wayne, IN - (I94) home in A2, MI ... I may not end up going
that route, but this is my plan at the moment. Any input that anyone
has for shops on this list or any shops not along this list, but on
that route, I would really appreciate hearing from you. I don't mind
going mildly out of my way if it is a good place, but if it will be
more than a half hour one way off of this route, then don't worry
about it.

Michigan
Distinctive Stitches 3420 E Main St, Kalamazoo, MI 49048 Ph.
269-373-4525
Flying Stitch 1534 E Columbia Ave, Battle Creek, MI 49014 Ph.
269-963-4225

Both of these shops are *well* over an hour off of US23 (the best
route from A2 to Toledo). They're both nice shops, but it's probably
an hour and a half from the US-23/I-94 junction to Flying Stitch, and
Distinctive Stitches is another half hour past that.

If you're going to go that far off your path, you should try Stitches
N Things in Davison. It's actually closer to A2 than Flying Stitch.
(I live 20 min west of A2 on I94; it's an hour to Stitches N Things,
and an hour to Flying Stitch.) There's also Stitch N Time in
Westland, about 30 min east of A2.

In Stitches 2618 Kibby Rd, Jackson, MI 49203 Ph. 517-787-2566

Fairly small shop, and hit or miss in the specialty fibers. Nice,
though. I go there three or four times a year.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

WIP: Santa Christmas Stocking, Emperor's Coat, Stretch, Halloween Circle
Most recently Finished: Will Work for Freezer Space, Turnberry Ridge, Noah's Journey
Old December 12th 03, 09:57 PM
Carolyn Wagner

I presume you will take I-75 at some point out of Toledo going south as US23
doesn't go to Cincinnati but somewhere east of there. Anyhoo, in Cincinnati,
within a block of each other are 2 wonderful shops, probably 20 minutes
(depending on traffic) from I75. The first is Twisted Threads (designer Ruth
Sparrow owns this) and the other is Creative Cottage. You can park in 1 lot
and walk to both shops. I like both very much. At Creative Cottage (6943
Miami Ave., 513/271-2028), the cross-stitch is downstairs and upstairs is
the quilting/fabric part of the store. They are open on Sunday afternoons
also. Twisted Threads is on the opposite side of the road, about a 30-second
walk away (7013 Miami Ave, 513/271-7703). They are not open on Sundays.

Should you by chance go through Columbus via US 23 to I70 to I75, you need
to stop at Cross My Heart (1141 Kenny Centre, 614/442-0820,
www.crossmyheartltd.com). This is the shop I go to most frequently as I live
closest to it. All three shops are good, although obviously Twisted Threads
stocks all of the Twisted Threads designs and leans towards more
"sophisticated" items. If you will let me know when you're coming, I can
look on my newsletters and let you know if there are any specials going on.
;-)

One word of caution, please avoid the the US23/I71/I270 area (south side of
Columbus) as there has been a rash of shootings in that area that are
connected but as of yet unsolved. If you want to email me, I'll be happy to
give you detailed directions to all 3 shops and also steer you around the
"trouble spot."

Happy traveling and shopping!
Carolyn

om...

Old December 12th 03, 10:10 PM
Nyssa

Ohio
Craft Gallery 330 S Blanchard St, Findlay, OH 45840 Ph. 419-422-7980

Has mostly counted cross stitch plus some rubber stamping and
lots of framing stuff. Fun place to find OOP charts too.
They have charts on spin racks by category, so it's easy to
find things. I managed to find a couple of copies of one
of the Kappie Original Tiffany windows charts plus some of
the old Told in a Garden "bookmark" patterns. They also
carry a lot of designs by regional designers if you're
looking for special souvenirs of your travels. Lots of
fabrics.

And the owners are *very* friendly and helpful.

Cross Stitch Heaven 5747 N Main St, Sylvania, OH 43560 Ph.
419-882-3021

Small shop located in an older house. (Right across from
the post office, if you need to mail stash to friends.)
Cramped, but carries a lot of charms and hard to find
items. Also check out the section in the back of the
house/store near the framing area. They often buy up
estate sale stash and have it for sale in bins. Nice
if you're looking for older patterns or kits. There's
another bin in the room off the entrance with college
and high school logo charts for the region.

HTH

Nyssa, who has dropped more than a few dollars at both shops
At River's End
http://nyssa.cnc.net
Old December 12th 03, 11:10 PM
SandyR KS

A "must visit" shop in Louisville, KY is The Finishing Touch (502-429-8832,
email ) in the Plainview Village Shopping
Center, just off I-64 at Hurstbourne Pkwy. The shop is located on the back
side of the shopping strip. While in Louisville, be sure to visit the EGA
National Headquarters and go through their gallery.

If you go through Columbus, OH, Cross My Heart, Ltd.
(
www.crossmyheartltd.com) is a great shop. It's located in the Kenny Center
Mall in NW Columbus, 2 blocks south of Henderson Rd. & Kenny Rd. This is a
huge shop with hundreds of models to drool over!

In Indianapolis area, Needle Fever is a good basic shop; and if you want a
good selection of fibers and more challenging projects, Persnickety
Stitchers in Zionsville is good. If you go to Zionsville, be sure to allow
extra time to explore the town. It's a small town with a restored downtown
area with lots of neat shops and some good cafes. There is (or at least
there was a few years ago) a good little cafe for homemade desserts called
The Pie Pantry.

Sounds like a fun trip!

SandyR-KS

Old December 13th 03, 12:50 AM
sdgodfrey

The Finishing Touch in Louisville and the Stitch Niche in Lexington are
both really nice shops. The Finishing Touch is almost exclusively cross
stitch, though they have hardanger and other counted stitches supplies.
The Stitch Niche is more varied in what they stock. They have a large
supply of cross stitch patterns, as well as a good selection of
hardanger and needlepoint. They also have knitting and crocheting
supplies. I love both shops. I go to the Stitch Niche more often
because it's a little closer for me. The Stitch Niche is closed on
Sundays and Mondays. The Finishing Touch is closed on Sundays. HTH.

And have a lot of fun on your trip!

--
Sherri G in Kentucky
http://community.webshots.com/user/sdgodfrey

Old December 13th 03, 12:57 AM
Coleen

I can highly recommend The Finishing Touch in Louisville and The Stitch
Niche in Lexington, both in Kentucky.

I would also recommend Persnickety in Zionsville, IN and Hickory Stitchery
Dock in Indianapolis, IN but would recommend avoiding Needle Fever unless
you like to be insulted (I will not spend another penny in that store).

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

Old December 13th 03, 04:00 AM
Theresa

LOVE The Finishing Touch. I spent most of my life in Louisville, and am
moving back in the spring and I can't wait to get to go shop there again!

If you venture off the beaten path there's a shop in Corydon, Indiana called
Stitching Memories. I don't remember any of the info on them, but they
might be on the web. It's small, but Susan there is wonderful and very
friendly and fun.

---

Old December 13th 03, 06:46 PM
Jenn Liace

On 12 Dec 2003 11:51:40 -0800, (koalamom) wrote:

I am putting together plans for a tenative trip through Michigan,
Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky later this winter.

I'm geographically challenged so I don't know your route compared to
where I've been... but last summer I was vacationing with friends in
Evansville, IN (southern tip of the state), and on the way to a family
reunion in Kentyucky, we made a bit of a side trip down to
Madisonville so I could shop at Deb's Stitchery Store.
(
www.debsstitchery.com). I wasn't able to spend anywhere near as much
time there as I would have liked, but I can tell you that they have
several rooms of cross stitch, a room or two full of fibers, and toys
to keep young ones occupied. =) Deb was a very nice lady and I
wished I could have returned on that trip to really stash!

Jenn L.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Current projects:
Gertie the Witch (Faithwurks Seasonal Spoolie - October)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)

Bead Advice Needed! Beadbimbo Beads 38 May 19th 04 11:53 PM
ADVICE NEEDED: carving rotor for hand-powered "helicopter" Carving 3 January 25th 04 10:25 AM
Advice on Graphing needed Donna Beads 3 December 22nd 03 05:35 AM
Taking pics of beadwork: Advice Needed VManes Beads 12 October 1st 03 04:48 PM
Advice needed -- Cutting Narrow Strips Joe Cahill Glass 3 September 18th 03 05:19 PM