I need to buy a 'Rolling Mill', any suggestions ?

Old March 17th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default I need to buy a 'Rolling Mill', any suggestions ?

Ted Frater wrote:
Peter W. Rowe wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:54:23 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "FC..."
wrote:

((snip... trim...))

Id say for the small time user a combo mill will prove more useful.
I bought my Durston some 25yrs ago and its as good as the day i bought it
My need was to do production milling so I motorised it.
Has been fine.this way.
However when making tapered section material one needs to wind in
then reverse out. Then move down to the next groove and repeat.
So to do this I put the handle back on.
Cant do this if its motorised.
Since then I accumulated several mills all flat.
The last one has a big 3ft 50lb flywheel on the handle shaft. with a 5
to I reduction. rolls 5 by 2.5in dia.
Had to get them reground to produce a true straight roll.
Last year I had to mint 2500 commemorative plaques for a 40th
anniversary . the material supplied was 3in wide by .036in thick.70/30
lead free guilding metal.
On calculating the length needed to make this no the client supplied
material left me with 500 approx short.
Ie enough for 2000,
What to do?
Cant ask for more, so I motorised this latest mill, set up input guide
rails, cut 3ft lengths of material and rolled it down so it was 48in long.
Reduction to .027in.
Worked just fine.
From cutting the sheet in strips(5 off)
rolling, guillotining to length, hot drop stamping,
pickling, clipping then date stamping, total of 50 in each production
day of 6 hrs work.
If youve wondered as to the heating to dull cherry red. made a Davy
miners lamp principle of controlled neutral non oxidising stainless
steel gauze muffle. with hinged top. Can see when its the right temp by
colour . Remove with tongs drop stamp thne pickle rince neutralise dry
and stack.
Hope this is of interest.
Ted
Dorset
UK.

You could have spared us the story and just posted the first sentence.

But no, you needed to take up bandwidth and take 127 lines for that!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old March 17th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:50:32 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:

Id say for the small time user a combo mill will prove more useful.

(story snipped)

Hope this is of interest.
Ted

(Abrasha writes)...

You could have spared us the story and just posted the first sentence.

But no, you needed to take up bandwidth and take 127 lines for that!

Yes, the first sentance was mostly enough for the exact topic of the thread.

But his last sentance was the reason for the rest. And I for one, even if it
had less to do with the thread's question at hand, found the description of his
recent project of interest. Perhaps others did as well.

and it's not as though the group's current activity level is straining anyone's
bandwidth capacities...

:-)

Peter
Old March 17th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ted Frater

Abrasha wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:
Peter W. Rowe wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:54:23 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "FC..."

[[ snip ]]
Hope this is of interest.
Ted
Dorset
UK.

You could have spared us the story and just posted the first sentence.

But no, you needed to take up bandwidth and take 127 lines for that!

For the record the original enquirer asked for ANY suggestions or
information.
If yoiu dont approve of my posts then you shouldnt read them.
If the moderator of this news group thinks I should change the way I
post then its up to him to tell me, dont you think?

Hand milling is good for small stuff, but when you have to process some
125kgs of material then power milling is the way o go.
I tried to hand mill it but it was too much effort. I used a 3hp motor
running ar 1440 rpm, with a 3 in pulley and an a section vee belt
driving onto the 36in dia flywheel.
Hope this helps those who might have to do this one day.Im probably the
only one man band production drop stamper that uses all kinds of
techniques including those from the jewellery world.

Old March 18th 09, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
polymer

Ted Frater wrote:

Abrasha wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:
Peter W. Rowe wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:54:23 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "FC..."

[[ snip ]]
Hope this is of interest.
Ted
Dorset
UK.

You could have spared us the story and just posted the first sentence.

But no, you needed to take up bandwidth and take 127 lines for that!

For the record the original enquirer asked for ANY suggestions or
information.
If yoiu dont approve of my posts then you shouldnt read them.

[That message] just seems nasty. I think that it's a good idea to
have information about these kinds of things. I'd like to hear
more, thanks. [snip]
--
los polymer

[posted with minor edits by the moderator to conform with group charter rules.
Posters are reminded that this is a moderated newsgroup which prohibits personal
attacks. Keep comments sufficiently related to the topic that they won't risk
starting a flame war or something.]

Old March 18th 09, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:

Id say for the small time user a combo mill will prove more useful.

(story snipped)

Hope this is of interest.
Ted

(Abrasha writes)...

You could have spared us the story and just posted the first sentence.

But no, you needed to take up bandwidth and take 127 lines for that!

Yes, the first sentance was mostly enough for the exact topic of the thread.

But his last sentance was the reason for the rest. And I for one, even if it
had less to do with the thread's question at hand, found the description of his
recent project of interest. Perhaps others did as well.

and it's not as though the group's current activity level is straining anyone's
bandwidth capacities...

:-)

Peter

I thought some time ago that perhaps to generate more "action" on this
newsgroup, it might be an idea for all us regulars to post a monthly
news roundup.
I for one would be interested in what you Peter had through your hands
that perhaps was unusual, or difficult and you solved the problem in
your expert way.
Also what Abrasha might be doing as well.

If you Peter think that this might be a good idea let us know.
Im reluctant to post details of my current project( an unusual one)
incase im shouted down again.
Ted.
Old March 18th 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:23:00 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Ted Frater
wrote:

I thought some time ago that perhaps to generate more "action" on this
newsgroup, it might be an idea for all us regulars to post a monthly
news roundup.
I for one would be interested in what you Peter had through your hands
that perhaps was unusual, or difficult and you solved the problem in
your expert way.
Also what Abrasha might be doing as well.

If you Peter think that this might be a good idea let us know.
Im reluctant to post details of my current project( an unusual one)
incase im shouted down again.
Ted.

You weren't shouted down. I believe Abrasha was merely offering us his
typically brief and perhaps blunt opinion that your project description wasn't
along the topic's original question any more. He's perhaps right to some extent
on that, though your explanation makes sense too. Whatever the case, your
suggestion is for a different thing, and frankly, it sounds OK to me. I can't
promise I'll be adding all that much, unless you want the thrilling details of
things like my current worries about health insurance and the slowdown in
business. But that's economics, not jewelry, and possibly not appropriate to
the group. But if you'd like to keep us informed of your current ideas and
projects, I'm all in favor of it.

So sure. So long as it's reasonably on topic for the group, send it in. Might
be a fun idea.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry
Old May 3rd 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Limpy[_2_]

In the magical world of this newsgroup called rec.crafts.jewelry on
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:16:43 -0700 we were all amazed to see Abrasha
write:

FC... wrote:
I found this one at Rio and it looks like just the Rolling Mill I
might Need !

It looks like it might be of better quality than the PEPE unit. I
like the fact that it has a much wider 'FLAT" surface too. What do
you folks think... ?

DRM C130 with Reduction

http://www.durston.co.uk/lan-en/prod-m-drm130-en.htm

Don't get it! Rolling mills with both the sheet and wire mill on one
set of rolls are no good. They are like sofa beds!

I hate to admit it, but I agree with Abrasha.
Oh God! I feel so dirty!

The width of the sheet section is only 80 mm, which means that you only
have about 60 to 65 mm of usable width to roll sheet, because it is not
possible to use that full width to roll sheet.

Get a mill with it;s full width used for sheet or wire. That may mean
you need to get two mills or one with the rolls above each other.

Rolling Mill Kendall Davies Jewelry 13 July 17th 12 06:07 PM
rolling mill questions ted frater Jewelry 0 September 19th 06 07:38 AM
Calibrating a Rolling Mill Frosty Jewelry 5 May 20th 06 03:31 AM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Marketplace 0 December 14th 03 06:52 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Quilting 0 December 14th 03 06:52 PM