Poll: Do you prefer Flat or Fluffy looking quilts?

Old September 26th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default Poll: Do you prefer Flat or Fluffy looking quilts?

Mickie Swall mentioned in her post about the Warm & Safe batting, that
her quilt turned out with the nice flat look she likes. I found that
interesting. I like the fluffy look from a loftier batting myself
because I think it shows off the quilting pattern nicely, and partly
because I have always had fluffy quilts made by my family members.
This made me wonder if all quilters have a preference for either flat
or fluffy quilts, and if there might be a lot of different reasons
why.

So, here's the poll:

Do you prefer the look of a flat or puffy quilt?

Is there a specific reason for your preference?

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 26th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Default Do you prefer Flat or Fluffy looking quilts?

Do you prefer the look of a flat or puffy quilt?
Is there a specific reason for your preference?

Depends on what the design is: if it's a repetitve pattern then puffy, if
it's a "sampler' type then flat to really show off all the work gone into
each block. Another thing, I like flat for the summer as it seems 'cooler'
and puffy for the winter as it looks 'warmer'

Butterfly (also, depends on the Giftee's request: ie, DD's will be fluffy)

Old September 26th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Flat. No fun quilting a puffy batt for me. Tied comforters
are ok fluffy but I am not quilting a fat batt.
No quilters in my background that I was close to. The one grandma
that I knew growing up was czech and had down comforts. Those are
wonderful fluffy.
Taria

Old September 26th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I like the look of a medium loft for the reason you said- it shows off the
quilting. BUT.... it's so hard to stuff a quilt under my sm for the
quilting any way, I don't want any extra poof to shove in there.

Since I buy Warm & Natural by the bolt at Joann's with the 50% off coupon, I
am kinda stuck in that mode... not that I mind! Bolts are easier to store
than packaged battings. I have it mounted on a roller up by the ceiling and
out of the way. It's so nice to just run out there and cut off what I need
any time I need it. Also, I know W&N well- what to expect of it, how it
acts, etc. I have even been known to not baste smaller quilts. I just let
the W&N's built in stick-to-it-ness hold the sandwich layers together for
me. I like that!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 26th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Replying to my own post: DD's will be quilt as you go. I'll do a few test
small blocks to see how much I can handle on Pfoebe. My first 'big' quilt to
be quilted on her.

Butterfly (getting braver in my doddering years)

Old September 26th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I have a friend who stored her extra roll of batt on the shower curtain rod
in her seldom used guest bathroom.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 26th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Debra" wrote in message

Do you prefer the look of a flat or puffy quilt?

Send me one of each, and I'll let you know which I like better. (How was
that, Ragmop?)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old September 26th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

That was great!!!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 26th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Yes. Polly

Old September 26th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

I agree with Polly!

Donna in Idaho

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Yes. Polly

The 'fluffy' jumper Mary Fisher Yarn 2 December 29th 06 04:48 AM
Mounted or Unmounted Stamps which do you prefer? Missy O Rubberstamps 33 December 23rd 06 08:24 PM
What Bernina model do you prefer? carmen Quilting 9 July 15th 06 11:03 PM
which metallics do you prefer and why? KCat Needlework 16 August 7th 05 11:26 AM
Fluffy bits after RRRipping! Pat EAXStitch Needlework 0 March 11th 05 02:36 PM