Is It Safe To Write On Copper and Silver

Old September 19th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ChristopherL

Default Is It Safe To Write On Copper and Silver

Hello again, I own both copper and silver jewelry. Will I harm
anything if I write on them with a Sharpe magic marker. What do I do
to make the writing last forever. Is there a better marker than
Sharpe?

Will a combination of magic marker and anti-tarnish paper from
www.riogrande.com or Hagarty cause the jewelry harm.

Thank you,
Chris
Old September 19th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:19:15 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry ChristopherL
wrote:

Hello again, I own both copper and silver jewelry. Will I harm
anything if I write on them with a Sharpe magic marker.

Other than putting ugly black marks on it, it does nothing to the metal.

What do I do
to make the writing last forever. Is there a better marker than
Sharpe?

Sharpie is about as good as any other permanent marker. Nothing lasts forever.
Covering over it with clear nail polish or some other lacquer or the like would
make it wear off more slowly. If you want true permanence, then no simple
marker will do it. You'd have to actually engrave it or scribe it (an actual
physical mark that's a scratch, not a surface ink). Vibro-gravers or other
scribing tools are sold for such purposes. Even those marks might not last
forever if the jewelry is physically worn so the metal wears away, but it would
be pretty good, especially if the marks are on a recessed/protected area.

Will a combination of magic marker and anti-tarnish paper from
www.riogrande.com or Hagarty cause the jewelry harm.

No.

Thank you,
Chris

Old September 20th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

ChristopherL wrote:
Hello again, I own both copper and silver jewelry. Will I harm
anything if I write on them with a Sharpe magic marker.

No. It may leave some small scratches after removal.

What do I do
to make the writing last forever.

"forever" is a big word. So this solution is not forever, but long
lasting. After writing on the gold or silver with a Sharpie, cover the
writing with clear nail polish.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old October 15th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ChristopherL

On Sep 19, 9:24=A0am, "Peter W.. Rowe," =
wrote:
Sharpie is about as good as any other permanent marker. =A0Nothing lasts =

forever.
Covering over it with clear nail polish or some other lacquer or the like=

would
make it wear off more slowly. =A0

What is the best thing to cover the signatures on a jewelry bracelets
(copper, nickle plated, silver plated) if I never intend to wear
them.

Thanks,
Chris
Old October 15th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:35:27 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry ChristopherL
wrote:

On Sep 19, 9:24*am, "Peter W.. Rowe," wrote:
Sharpie is about as good as any other permanent marker. *Nothing lasts forever.
Covering over it with clear nail polish or some other lacquer or the like would
make it wear off more slowly. *

What is the best thing to cover the signatures on a jewelry bracelets
(copper, nickle plated, silver plated) if I never intend to wear
them.

Thanks,
Chris

If they won't be worn, then why need to cover the markings at all? If you do
wish to cover them for some reason, the same suggestions apply. Clear lacquer,
clear nail polish, Krylon spray plastic coating, or the like. All would provide
abrasion resistance and some protection from corrosion of the metal. But
without friction and wear, the marker won't come off. One thing to avoid with
covering marker like Sharpie. Be sure a coating is not alcohol thinned, since
alcohol will dissolve the marker ink. So will a few other solvents, so you
might wish to test first by using a sharpie marker or the like on a piece of
scrap metal (a penny, for example), then coating it to see if the mark is
affected. It's only the solvent in the coating material that might be of
concern, not the finished and dry coating.

Peter