ClayArt

Old May 10th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

Default ClayArt

Has anyone had luck with clayart yet? And what has happened to this room?
Donna

Old May 11th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Stutt

"D Kat" ) writes:
Has anyone had luck with clayart yet? And what has happened to this room?
Donna

Don't know about Clayart but it seems that all the newsgroups are
quite. Old technology?

Elaine
Old May 11th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Susie Thompson

In message , D Kat
writes

Has anyone had luck with clayart yet? And what has happened to this
room? Donna

Hello Donna

I'm still here, also wondering where everybody else has gone? I'm not
working at the moment for two reasons. First is that the weather here's
too hot - 22degC. Second, we're moving my workroom out of the house to
a space we've made at the back of the garage, so my kiln and all are in
a state of chaos, to put things mildly. I'm trying to work on some
acrylic paintings, but time always seem to be against me :-((

All the best
Susie
Isle of Arran, Scotland
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!
Old May 11th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

Have you considered becoming an early morning person. just before dawn
until 10 is a wonderful time to work. If only I could get my back side up
and moving then... Spring fever is making it hard for me to sit at the
wheel for any time of worth. Instead I'm catching up on all the yard work
which isn't a bad thing.

Donna

P.S. Should it not still be cold in Scotland? Global warming is certainly
playing games with our weather (Long Island, NY. USA). It has felt like
June for weeks and tomorrow for just one day it is back to what it should
be. At least this year it hasn't fooled everything into blooming and then
freezing it all.

"Susie Thompson" wrote in message
In message , D Kat
writes

Old May 11th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

So what is taking their place? I put up with the clayart format because of
the people who post there. Viewing on the web for Yahoo and Google is
simply painful. It is so easy to follow threads for this room in my
newsreader and that has been around for decades now. It is a shame that
this room is not utilized more and that it is open to spam - need a
moderated version of this room that can be viewed with a newsreader IMO.
Donna

Old May 12th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Stutt

"D Kat" ) writes:
So what is taking their place? I put up with the clayart format because of
the people who post there. Viewing on the web for Yahoo and Google is
simply painful. It is so easy to follow threads for this room in my
newsreader and that has been around for decades now. It is a shame that
this room is not utilized more and that it is open to spam - need a
moderated version of this room that can be viewed with a newsreader IMO.
Donna

Yes, I quite like my antiquated newsreader. It's a lot faster than
reading the list that I read via Yahoo. I guess people like the fact
that on blogs or proprietary discussions there's space for their
picture or symbol - it's prettier. And, as you mention, a big thing
is having a moderator. Recently r.c.p. has little need for a moderator
as there's been little spam or flaming. Unfortunately getting a set-up
for moderating and a person/committee of persons willing to do moderating
over a long period of time is not easy.

Elaine

Old May 13th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On Mon, 12 May 2008 18:00:24 -0400, "D Kat"
wrote:

That is odd - in my newsreader is R.C.P is being flooded by spam from China
about watches.

Donna

I guess "flooded" is relative, but for me a few obvious spams per day
is no big deal... I just hit "Ignore" and move on. And RCP is so
quiet that even though these spams are a big percentage, they are
still trivial. Other NGs that I participate in not only have more
spam, they have more legitimate-but-ultimately-uninteresting posts
that require time to check out.

And some NGs have flamers, which we thankfully don't have here.
Flamers are the worst, since they are typically responding to real
posts; you don't know they are only flames until you read them.
(Even when you know that someone has a history of flaming, they may
also provide good responses at times.)

However, only one public NG that I regularly read has a moderator. I
have no idea what it was like before it became moderated, but I for
one would rather have it unmoderated. The moderation step delays the
posts substantially (nearly a day sometimes), so you find yourself
answering questions that others have already answered, but that
haven't appeared yet due to the moderation delay. If it's an answer
that takes a while to compose, this can be a real time-waster.

I've been off Clayart for over a year now, so I may be out of touch.
But as a listserv, I find it much more cumbersome to deal with than a
newsgroup, moderated or not. If you get every post as a separate
Email, you have to sort the Clayart from the spam... and there is a
*LOT* of spam, since the moderator insists that your real address be
posted in the Web archives for the spambots to grab.

I solved this by getting the digest version, and setting up a separate
account just for Clayart. Then there was only one real message to
pick up each day, and the rest was spam that could be flushed.
But digests are awkward to deal with, especially for a busy list like
Clayart. It's harder to reply to a post (and not the whole digest),
and at least on my mail reader there is no simple way to extract a
single post to save... it's either the whole digest or nothing. I had
to cut-and-paste the post to Notepad, and save it separately in a
Clayart folder independent from the Email system.

Newsgroups also have the advantage that messages are threaded,
so you can set an entire thread to Ignore. (I understand that some
Email systems are able to do this, but not mine.)

All in all, I'll take an unmoderated NG over a listserv any day! I
think the ideal would be for Clayart to convert to a NG. I tried to
bring that up with Mel a couple of years ago, but he was opposed,
and restricted in his options as well. The one redeeming feature of
Email is that everybody has it and knows how to deal with it. The
vast majority of people have never even heard of newsgroups,
though that is changing somewhat with Google Groups... which
has its own set of problems.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v3.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!
Old May 14th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

I guess since I have not been checking this room all that often it seems
like there is far more Spam than there is. It is just vastly more recently
than it has ever been. I much prefer the format here but it has become so
quite that there is little reason to drop in.

Clayart continues to be not up and working. As I said, I really dislike the
list format. If they could somehow change it so that it is not based on
weekly divisions and keep threads together that would greatly improve it.
I have come across very interesting threads that you can never find the
beginnings of which greatly decreases the worth. I now get the email digest
and read the list with a web browser - when I made the mistake of taking
email messages it was disastrous. The search engine is awful on the list
but google works somewhat on potter.org. I feel like an ingrate looking a
gift horse in the mouth....

Donna

Clayart D Kat Pottery 1 December 4th 07 11:34 PM
Clayart DKat Pottery 1 June 12th 07 05:25 PM
Clayart David Hewitt Pottery 3 January 2nd 06 04:25 PM
Got ClayArt??? Lori Pottery 6 October 28th 05 03:54 PM
ClayArt? Randy Pottery 1 September 6th 05 02:58 PM