Kiln

Old March 2nd 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
trish

Default Kiln

I really appreciate the info some of this is actually starting to make
sense. It seems I need to buy a few things before I start anyway.
Will also look into to observing. These are all good suggestions.

I had an electrician wire the house and install a plug especially for
the kiln -- it required a special outlet and wiring like that used for
a dryer, so I am not worried about that. I have the kiln in the
garage so I am also not worried to much about venting as I plan to
leave door open as much as possible. I am worried about the bricks
and/or elements if they were damaged but pottery place gave me name
and card for something called a kiln doctor who comes to the kiln and
fixes it -- just hope I can afford the doc.

Y'all have been great and I just hope I can find someone local who
will let me watch and be as nice about it. Thanks again, will let you
know how things go...
Old March 2nd 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:00:11 -0800 (PST), trish
wrote:

[...]

I'd like to add one thing to the good advice others have given:
Don't worry about kiln furniture yet... just focus on getting the kiln
working correctly. The furniture allows you to load the kiln fully
when you have many smaller pieces to fire (as opposed to one
giant urn, say). You will of course want to do that once you get
everything working properly, for the sake of time and energy
efficiency. But you do *not* want to start off with a full load
until you are sure the kiln is OK and you know how to use it.
Use a few test pieces that you don't really care about.

Having said that, note that firing a near-empty kiln will not be
the same as a full one. It will almost surely reach its cone faster,
for one thing. (If you had all the kiln posts, you could put in a
typical arrangement of shelves and posts, but still only fire a few
tet pieces.) But at least you will know that it works, before you
make a really big offering to the kiln goddess!

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v3.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!
Old March 25th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
moose hunter

better yet, go down to the flooring sore and pick up a box of cheap
unglazed tiles.

put your glaze on them, and test fire them in your kiln.

pourpose here is to put some working mass in the kiln, test your glazes

kill 2 bird w/ i stone as it were...

besure to get some kiln wash and apply it to any stilts you may use with
the tiles...

--- also,

spend the 10$ and buy a full range of test cones.
(I usally put in 3 cones one 1 cone low, one at my target temp, and one
cone high,

though for a blind run, id put 010 to 10 stepping every 3 or 4 cones and
then the 3 cones in the your target range.. (for firing to cone 5 blind,
i would put in a 010,06,02,2,4,5,6 cones.

this way you can see where the kiln really is firing to .
(set them up on those unglazed tiles, so the ones that puddle wont make
a permanant mess...

good luck,
welcome to the club

sam gueydan
Moose Studios Pottery,clovis ca

In article 8dc3be8d-9936-4c93-b1d7-
, says...
[...]

Kiln cement and kiln repair Daniel Pottery 2 October 22nd 06 06:29 PM
kiln [email protected] Pottery 0 April 19th 06 12:05 PM
DO YOU HAVE TO USE A KILN? brat352 Polymer Clay 7 October 17th 04 06:13 PM
Used Kiln parts and gas kiln build instructions Bri Pottery 4 August 10th 03 12:27 AM
New Kiln Bri Pottery 3 July 2nd 03 09:20 PM