TIDBITS 05/07/06

Old May 7th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.marketplace

Default TIDBITS 05/07/06

If any of you want Tidbits emailed directly, let me know and
I'll take care of it. Tidbits may be reprinted without charge --
with attribution. Additionally, if you know of anyone who you think
would enjoy Tidbits, please make them aware of us. URL
(http://www.tyler-adam.com). We encourage you to forward
this email to friends and colleagues.
======================================

The answer is to last week's query is: Cornel Wilde

Snobbism Elevated to its Peak of Perfection

I think that whenever one attempts something ... one should
strive to attain excellence of the highest caliber. This holds
true for acting, car racing, I'm better than the Jones', and
even snobbism. And thereby--as someone once said--hangs
a tale.

The year ... 1957. Harry Winston makes a sale to the
Duchess of Windsor ... a lady--one would think--who
could not easily be snubbed for one would have to imagine
she has reached the highest levels of society and nothing
could pull a chair out from under her lofty status. Of course
.... if one thought that ... one would be wrong. Our Duchess'
purchase consists of an Indian emerald drop necklace. Don't
know how much she paid ... but I would venture to say t'warn't
no nickel and dime buy.

Shortly thereafter there is a grand reception which is attended
by--among others--the Maharanee of Baroda. The reception
goes on with folks doing those things that folks to at grand
receptions ... and the Maharanee glances over at the Duchess
and immediately recognizes the necklace as having been made
from a pair of Indian anklets recently sold from the Baroda
collection. "My dear," says the Maharanee to a companion
in a voice that would override the noise of the crowds at Yankee
stadium at the opening of the World Series, "Have you seen, she
is wearing the beads I used to have on my feet!" Needless to
say, the necklace was returned the very next day.

The moral ... to take a cue from dear old Aesop: Don't matter how
big you are ... there's always someone bigger. Not sure if Aesop
said this ... or Benjamin Mark. One of them did.

Which brings us to the Huma bird. This has absolutely nothing to
do with the above story ... other than the fact that it's Indian in
origin and one of the most beautiful examples of a bejeweled
statuette I have ever seen. It dates to circa 1787-1793 and
resides in The Royal Collection of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
No idea of its worth. I will not describe it as it defies description.
Go take a look. It's an absolute must-see.

For those of you who are new to this thing called Tidbits...may
I direct you to my home page at www.tyler-adam.com where
you will scroll down the left side menu till you get to the area
that says Current Tidbits ... and then click on it in order to
view ... the Huma Bird.

And there ya have it.
That's it for this week folks.
Catch you all next week.
Benjamin Mark

All issues of Tidbits are copyrighted and available from our
home page. All rights reserved.

TIDBITS 05/07/06 Benjamin Mark General Crafting 0 May 7th 06 08:42 PM
TIDBITS 05/07/06 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 0 May 7th 06 06:31 PM
TIDBITS 05/07/06 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 May 7th 06 11:59 AM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Marketplace 0 October 24th 04 09:28 PM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark General Crafting 0 July 13th 03 11:01 PM