Rollups

Old February 16th 05, 05:30 AM
Mike Beede

Default Rollups

I heard about a technique called an "Australian Rollup." I
found something at Bullseye about it--you make a fused sheet
and roll it up on a collar. The examples they have appear
to be left pretty much as a straight-walled cylinder. I
wondered if anyone had done this with more extreme forms.
Mostly, I wondered if anyone ever managed to gather over it
to make a larger form.

I understand you would get some distortion of the pattern,
but basically I'm wondering if it's possible to control
such a large thin piece when covered with hot glass. I
suppose one might try marvering it into a smaller shape
first, then blowing it back out.

I assume that a smaller piece (their example is around
8 inches high) would be easier to deal with. The reason
the idea came up was wondering if you could fuse cane
in a criss-cross pattern before picking it up. Like all
good ideas, others apparently had it long ago.

I checked Mike Firth's site and believe there
is something there about rollups, but there's an indexing
problem and it isn't clear just where it is. I always
have fun poking around there anyway, so the time wasn't
wasted.

Mike Beede
Old February 16th 05, 06:26 AM
nJb

Mike Beede wrote:

[...]

You can gather over it but generally the furnace glass is not a match
for the fused piece. I suppose you could gather Spruce Pine over
System96.

We did a cane rollup last weekend on a collar, pinched the far end off
and proceeded to blow the piece out. I watched Nick Mount blow out a
large fused rollup at Corning last year.

I spent a couple of weeks with Michael Egan last summer. He's quite good
with cane. He was the teaching assistant if you can believe it.

http://www.eganglass.com/proddir/sea...intl-search%7D

http://www.eganglass.com/

Jack
Old February 16th 05, 05:24 PM
Mike Firth

The whole point of the Rollup technique is to allow fusers to blow using
only a glory hole. It starts thin and can be manipulated in any way that a
blown bubble of similar size and thinness can be worked.
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/gls-tech.htm#ROLLUP
The compariable in blowing involves laying out murrini or stringer on a
plate, heating it in the glory hole, blowing a bubble the right size and
rolling the bubble onto the color and marvering it in. You can find images
of this being done by a Murano glassblower Vetro, Grapevine, TX
http://firthm.home.mindspring.com/celotto.htm
by Stephen Powell
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/gas97tuc.htm#POWELL
Dante Marioni does the technique in his pieces with clear centered murrini
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/artst-mz.htm#MARIONDA

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old February 17th 05, 04:15 PM
William I. Weisberger

Mike Beede wrote:
I heard about a technique called an "Australian Rollup." I
found something at Bullseye about it--you make a fused sheet
and roll it up on a collar. The examples they have appear
to be left pretty much as a straight-walled cylinder. I
wondered if anyone had done this with more extreme forms.
Mostly, I wondered if anyone ever managed to gather over it
to make a larger form.
. . .

Mike Beede

The rollup is like so many others originally an Italian technique,
Muranese or Roman(?). In 1987 Richard Marquis and Dante Marioni gave a
series of workshops in Australia, in particular at the Canberra School
of Art where Klaus Moje was the founding Head of the Glass Workshop.
This maybe when the technique was introduced to the Australians.

You can see a slide show of Marioni making one of his large mosaic vases
using the rollup method on his website, www.dantemarioni.com, if you
look at the pulldown menu under "book."

Bill Weisberger
Old February 17th 05, 08:33 PM
Mike Firth

While Marioni uses the rollup technique (sort of, since he does it on a
plate while Australian Rollup uses a kiln fused sheet), I think you will
find that the Italian technique rolls on to a bubble and starts with smaller
murrini or cane that are modified in shape as it is further blown while
Marioni uses large murrini slices. I will stand corrected with a good
reference to an Italian technique site. (or book)
Terrific set of pictures of the technique.

Old February 18th 05, 12:36 AM
Mike Beede

In article ,
"William I. Weisberger" wrote:

You can see a slide show of Marioni making one of his large mosaic vases
using the rollup method on his website, www.dantemarioni.com, if you
look at the pulldown menu under "book."

Very nice. Thanks for the pointer. I have seen pieces like that
before and wondered how they did it.

Mike Beede
Old February 28th 05, 02:50 PM
AL69

"William I. Weisberger" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
Mike Beede wrote:
I heard about a technique called an "Australian Rollup." I
found something at Bullseye about it--you make a fused sheet
and roll it up on a collar. The examples they have appear
to be left pretty much as a straight-walled cylinder. I
wondered if anyone had done this with more extreme forms.
Mostly, I wondered if anyone ever managed to gather over it
to make a larger form.
. . .

Mike Beede

The rollup is like so many others originally an Italian technique,
Muranese or Roman(?). In 1987 Richard Marquis and Dante Marioni gave a

(...)

You can download a video (a vessel made with rollup technique) from our
page:
http://www.artofvenice.com/art/afro-video.htm

Old February 28th 05, 03:23 PM
Kalera Stratton

That was a pretty cool video... I love watching skilled glassblowers
work, it's like a dance.

http://www.beadwife.com