Polishing compound question

Old June 11th 10, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Andrew Falanga

Default Polishing compound question

Hi,

Wow, has it been a long time since I've posted to this NG. My wife
and I are currently cutting a few topaz stones for a client and these
topaz are unlike anything we've ever seen. They are taking a polish
in a most difficult manner and this is forcing us to consider some
alternative polishing compounds. I've found a company on-line selling
something called Super Blue Polish. They claim it is quite the
polishing compound. I was hoping someone here might have used this
compound because I've never heard of it. Is it as good as they say?

Thanks for any input,
Andy
Old June 11th 10, 07:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer[_2_]

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:30:29 -0700, Andrew Falanga
wrote:

Wow, has it been a long time since I've posted to this NG. My wife
and I are currently cutting a few topaz stones for a client and these
topaz are unlike anything we've ever seen. They are taking a polish
in a most difficult manner and this is forcing us to consider some
alternative polishing compounds. I've found a company on-line selling
something called Super Blue Polish.

Never used it, but what are you using now? Is the polish difficult all
over, or just some facets?

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
Old June 13th 10, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Martin H. Eastburn

I used diamond on sapphire -
but consider : Alumina Zirconia (very hard, sharp grain) Blue grit.
Topaz is tough stuff indeed.

Good luck - and perhaps these suppliers can supply grit or you can extract
it off sheets or belts.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...PLANER%20BELTS

This is Klingspor's site. A very high quality abrasive company.

I suspect your supplier has the Alumina Zirconia in fine grit.

Good luck - been some years since I faceted for enjoyment.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Old June 13th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer[_2_]

wrote:

Hi,

Wow, has it been a long time since I've posted to this NG. My wife
and I are currently cutting a few topaz stones for a client and these
topaz are unlike anything we've ever seen. They are taking a polish
in a most difficult manner and this is forcing us to consider some
alternative polishing compounds. I've found a company on-line selling
something called Super Blue Polish. They claim it is quite the
polishing compound. I was hoping someone here might have used this
compound because I've never heard of it. Is it as good as they say?

Never used Super Blue Polish, but Rob Kulakofsky from ColorWright
speaks well of it, and I respect his opinion.
http://www.facetingaccessories.com/polishes.shtml

What sort of cutting? Faceting, cabs, carving? If faceting, do you
have the problem everywhere, or just some facets? If cabbing or
carving, is the problem only in certain spots? You can guess that I've
thinking about the cleavage plane, which is generally hard to polish.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
Old June 15th 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer[_2_]

wrote:

Hi,

Wow, has it been a long time since I've posted to this NG. My wife
and I are currently cutting a few topaz stones for a client and these
topaz are unlike anything we've ever seen. They are taking a polish
in a most difficult manner and this is forcing us to consider some
alternative polishing compounds. I've found a company on-line selling
something called Super Blue Polish. They claim it is quite the
polishing compound. I was hoping someone here might have used this
compound because I've never heard of it. Is it as good as they say?

Never used Super Blue Polish, but Rob Kulakofsky from ColorWright
speaks well of it, and I respect his opinion.
http://www.facetingaccessories.com/polishes.shtml

What sort of cutting? Faceting, cabs, carving? If faceting, do you
have the problem everywhere, or just some facets? If cabbing or
carving, is the problem only in certain spots? You can guess that I'm

Old June 16th 10, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
1 Lucky Texan

wrote:
[...]

I intend to get back to faceting soon so, thanx for posting that link.
I may be buying some stuff soon.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan
Old June 20th 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Andrew Falanga wrote:
Hi,

Wow, has it been a long time since I've posted to this NG. My wife
and I are currently cutting a few topaz stones for a client and these
topaz are unlike anything we've ever seen. They are taking a polish
in a most difficult manner and this is forcing us to consider some
alternative polishing compounds. I've found a company on-line selling
something called Super Blue Polish. They claim it is quite the
polishing compound. I was hoping someone here might have used this
compound because I've never heard of it. Is it as good as they say?

Thanks for any input,
Andy

Now im a metal worker and know metal finishing. to do this i talked to
other metal polishers as well as polish compound makers.
Polising and facetting stones cant be any different.
If I wanted to do that the first place id do is join a rock club.
These folk have already found the answers to stone finishing the
easiest and cheapest way.
They may or maynot recommend the compound you mention.
So if its any good someone will be happy to lend you a bit to try.
Seems the easiest way to go to me.
try it and let us know how you get on.
ted
in
Dorset UK.
Old June 27th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jack Schmidling

When I originally responded to this

I have faceted several topaz roughs using the same setup I use for
everything else with no problems at all. They polish out brilliant
and clean.

I use ASM diamond greases on BATT laps.

It doesn't prove anything but there is a picture of one topaz at
http://schmidling.com/gems.htm in group titled:
Phase Three.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber, Gems,
Nature, Radio, Sheep, Sausage, Silver
http://schmidling.com
Old June 27th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Andrew[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I think Al's nailed it - Topaz has perfect cleavage in the basal
direction, which makes it difficult to polish and dangerous to set.
Orienting the rough is critical; you need to get the cleavage plane
perpendicular to the top of the stone, so you're polishing across it,
and don't have that plane running across the surface, which will never
polish right and can cause a big piece to fall off (usually when
you're almost done). I don't think the particular polishing compound
makes as much difference as getting the stone positioned right in the
first place.

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com
Old August 10th 10, 08:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Ted Frater wrote:
Andrew Falanga wrote:
Hi,

Wow, has it been a long time since I've posted to this NG. My wife
and I are currently cutting a few topaz stones for a client and these
topaz are unlike anything we've ever seen. They are taking a polish
in a most difficult manner and this is forcing us to consider some
alternative polishing compounds. I've found a company on-line selling
something called Super Blue Polish. They claim it is quite the
polishing compound. I was hoping someone here might have used this
compound because I've never heard of it. Is it as good as they say?

Thanks for any input,
Andy

Now im a metal worker and know metal finishing. to do this i talked to
other metal polishers as well as polish compound makers.
Polising and facetting stones cant be any different.

Oh yes it is!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

non waterproof compound michele Glass 3 February 21st 06 08:10 PM
Using a 12" DeWalt compound miter saw as a zinc came miter saw? DragonFly Glass 16 April 20th 05 04:11 AM
gold modelling compound puk Jewelry 6 March 20th 05 08:43 PM
Polishing compound buildup Carl West Jewelry 4 May 18th 04 06:54 AM
Mold making compound katouck General Crafting 0 August 12th 03 04:07 AM