How do you get into "the zone"?

Old July 30th 05, 09:17 PM
Bubbles

Default How do you get into "the zone"?

Hi again!

Okay - frustration has set in, and is not doing me any good. Centering is
NOT like riding a bike! After months away from my wheel, centering has me
completely bamboozled again. Not being able to center, is throwing me off
center, if you know what I mean.

The "right" music seems to help. Enya at the moment. And deep breaths with
my eyes closed - and focusing HARD on the wheel and the center of the clay
on it.

What do you do, to get into the "zone" so (okay - this sounds silly, but
still) you are one with the clay?

Marianne

Old July 30th 05, 11:18 PM

when i just can't seem to throw right, i switch to hand building for a
while.

or radically change your normal throwing. try really LARGE pieces, or
really SMALL pieces.

see ya

steve

Old July 31st 05, 02:08 AM
Scoop

wrote in message
ups.com...
when i just can't seem to throw right, i switch to hand building for a
while.

or radically change your normal throwing. try really LARGE pieces, or
really SMALL pieces.

I verify that my hip joint and the "off arm" (left for me, since I'm more
right-handed in my throwing) elbow are securely meeting together. I then
start power-wedging (make the clay go into a tall shape, bring it down low,
repeat) until I "feel" the clay again.

Finally, I don't talk with anyone, and keep music as background as possible.
Wheel-work should take all your attention, it's perhaps the closest to pure
meditation that you get without sitting zazen or chanting "om".

Old July 31st 05, 03:45 AM
Xtra News

"Bubbles" wrote in message

Hi again!

Okay - frustration has set in, and is not doing me any good. Centering is
NOT like riding a bike! After months away from my wheel, centering has me
completely bamboozled again. Not being able to center, is throwing me off
center, if you know what I mean.

The "right" music seems to help. Enya at the moment. And deep breaths with
my eyes closed - and focusing HARD on the wheel and the center of the clay
on it.

What do you do, to get into the "zone" so (okay - this sounds silly, but
still) you are one with the clay?

Marianne

Nope, not "one with the clay" boss of the clay. Don't let it push you
around, think about holding your hands firm and not letting the clay move
them. More than that is just technique, and those vary.

Old July 31st 05, 10:26 AM
Bubbles

"Xtra News" wrote in message

Nope, not "one with the clay" boss of the clay. Don't let it push you
around, think about holding your hands firm and not letting the clay move
them. More than that is just technique, and those vary.

Hmmmm - I think you have a point. The clay does seem to be bossing me
around! :-)

Will try to be more strict with it today. Thanks!

Marianne

Old July 31st 05, 10:29 AM
Bubbles

"Scoop" wrote in message

I verify that my hip joint and the "off arm" (left for me, since I'm more
right-handed in my throwing) elbow are securely meeting together. I then
start power-wedging (make the clay go into a tall shape, bring it down
low, repeat) until I "feel" the clay again.

Okay - in other words, just kind of keep at it until you get there.

Finally, I don't talk with anyone, and keep music as background as
possible. Wheel-work should take all your attention, it's perhaps the
closest to pure meditation that you get without sitting zazen or chanting
"om".

Hmmmm - difficult when hubby is back and forth to his workshop in the garage
and keeps stopping at my window to ask how it is going! Hehe! Will tell him
to shut up from now on ;-)

I agree about meditation. When I really am "in the zone", there's almost
nothing like it - except maybe when I am scuba diving and just listening to
my own breathing and floating in the middle of wonderful :-)

Marianne

Old July 31st 05, 10:31 AM
Bubbles

wrote in message
ups.com...

when i just can't seem to throw right, i switch to hand building for a
while.

I am tempted to do that, but then it will just take even longer before I get
back into throwing, and I have christening-gifts to make for my new niece -
and I want to throw those.

or radically change your normal throwing. try really LARGE pieces, or
really SMALL pieces.

I have been doing pieces of about 600 grams. Much smaller, and they will be
almost impossible. Larger, I think, won't be any easier to center.

Hmmmm - will do some meditating over it all and see what I come up with :-)

Marianne

Old August 1st 05, 03:59 AM
dkat

You might be trying 'too hard'. Remember to make the end of your centering
real soft. That is lighten up your touch until you barely feel the clay
before taking your hands away. It is real easy when you are trying real
hard to just be pushing in with all your might and then releasing too
quickly and in doing so completely off center the piece. Take some deep
long breaths, think soft and how sweet it feels.....

Donna

Old August 7th 05, 02:13 AM
Jim Aberle

I have been working on the wheel for years....and still have bad days
when the clay just doesnt want to center...(notice its not me, its the
clay)...but seriosly the best days and quickest centers are the days
when i am focusing more on the conversation i am having with other
potters....(i work in a studio with other potters)...and am not overly
focusing on the centering....thats tip 1......tip 2...is did you ever
try centering with your eyes closed?....it is your hands and "feel" that
centers the clay....closing your eyes helps sharpen this feel....give it
a try......Jim from Jersey

Old August 7th 05, 07:28 PM
Bubbles

"Jim Aberle" wrote in message
I have been working on the wheel for years....and still have bad days when
the clay just doesnt want to center...(notice its not me, its the
clay)...but seriosly the best days and quickest centers are the days when i
am focusing more on the conversation i am having with other potters....(i
work in a studio with other potters)...and am not overly focusing on the
centering....thats tip 1......tip 2...is did you ever try centering with
your eyes closed?....it is your hands and "feel" that centers the
clay....closing your eyes helps sharpen this feel....give it a try......Jim
from Jersey

Hi Jim

Well - when you "know" how to center, I guess you don't need to concentrate
so much ;-)

I have tried _checking_ my centering by laying my hands gently on the piece
and closing my eyes to feel it, but never thought of "going blind" to
center. I will give that a try. Thanks.

Sometimes, I can feel the piece going into center, and then right out of
center again. THAT is really frustrating!

Marianne