Golliwog Pattern

Old December 16th 03, 11:44 PM
Ria Van de Velde

And you are not supposed to drink BLACK coffee, right?
But I happen to LOVE black coffee.

Ria

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 05:57:20 -0000, "Kari"
wrote:

Talking about politically correct "nonsense"..

I used to work in an Infant School (Kindergarten). we were not allowed to
teach the children "Baa-Baa BLACK sheep" - it had to be "Baa-Baa GREEN
sheep".

And they wonder why the youth of today are confused!!!!!

With love from belgium
Ria

riavdv at pandora dot be
Old December 17th 03, 03:42 AM
Els van Dam

In article , Ria Van de Velde
wrote:

Kari, I do hope you make a doll like this for you. I find him very
cute and I believe every child in the world should have a doll that
resembles him/her. Having a black doll is no racism, but saying there
is something wrong with black dolls, certainly is.

Right on Ria

Using the word Golliwogg to express a negative feeling about a person is
taking away from that.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old December 17th 03, 09:11 AM
spampot

Kari wrote:
Talking about politically correct "nonsense"..

I used to work in an Infant School (Kindergarten). we were not allowed to
teach the children "Baa-Baa BLACK sheep" - it had to be "Baa-Baa GREEN
sheep".

And they wonder why the youth of today are confused!!!!!

That seems particularly odd, given that the rhyme actually says nothing
other than that the sheep in question gives plenty of wool, which
appears to be desirable. Nothing about the wool or the sheep being
undesirable.

Old December 17th 03, 10:26 AM
Katherine

"Kari" wrote...
Talking about politically correct "nonsense"..

I used to work in an Infant School (Kindergarten). we were not allowed to
teach the children "Baa-Baa BLACK sheep" - it had to be "Baa-Baa GREEN
sheep".

And they wonder why the youth of today are confused!!!!!

Oh, for heaven's sake! How ridiculous! Some people go out of their way to
feel offended.
Katherine (shaking her head at this!)

Old December 17th 03, 11:04 AM
Carol

"Kari" wrote...
Talking about politically correct "nonsense"..

I used to work in an Infant School (Kindergarten). we were not allowed to
teach the children "Baa-Baa BLACK sheep" - it had to be "Baa-Baa GREEN
sheep".

And they wonder why the youth of today are confused!!!!!

Oh, for heaven's sake! How ridiculous! Some people go out of their way to
feel offended.
Katherine (shaking her head at this!)

Good grief! Now I'm offended because I'd rather have BLUE sheep!
::::Wondering at the dyeing possibilities for green sheep wool:::

(Just wanted to check out my anti-spam settings and sig)

Still stitchin' and smilin'
Carol in SC

Old December 17th 03, 01:41 PM
G.Kelly

Katherine I agree - any colour of doll is fine as far as I can see and when
it comes to having a black doll or a white one - then surely we can have
both - the world is after all peopled with both black and white and so why
not the dolls . I had a lovely little golliwog when I was young and it was
my favourite, I also had story books about little black children which I
still have and still cherish and I have had them for seventy two years and
often read them to this day - it was never considered racist - after all I
had books about little white children too ( none of which I still have ! )
When are we going to stop all this politically correct nonsense and think of
everyone as wonderful people whom - if we do not already know them - we
would all like to know them, no matter what the race or creed or anything
else and lets have dolls to match if we wish.

When I was young making what are now called racist remarks would have been
considered very rude and would have been punished along with any other rude
remark and left at that. Now because it is called "politically incorrect"
it just receive more prominence and none of the punishment it deserves.
God bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message

"Anna" wrote

"The Golliwog (originally spelled Golliwogg) is the least known of the

major
anti-Black caricatures in the United States. ..."

http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/golliwog/

Nice choice of project.

?

My son had a golliwog which he loved dearly. I think that this has become

case of being a bit too politically correct. It is OK to have stuffed toys
with orange faces, green faces, blue faces - in fact, every colour but
black.
Katherine

Old December 17th 03, 01:41 PM
G.Kelly

Kari that is the worst piece of politically correct nonsence I have ever
heard of . Everyone knows that sheep come in black and white ( and other
shades) and those of you who are spinners would prize a good black fleece I
am sure. Besides that makes me wonder how does one ask for a pair of black
shoes in such an enviorment ! Time we all grew up I think God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Kari" wrote in message
Talking about politically correct "nonsense"..

I used to work in an Infant School (Kindergarten). we were not allowed to
teach the children "Baa-Baa BLACK sheep" - it had to be "Baa-Baa GREEN
sheep".

And they wonder why the youth of today are confused!!!!!

--
Kari (in the UK)
SpamTrap: I will have "no spam" emailed to me!

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article ,
Katherine wrote:

My son had a golliwog which he loved dearly. I think that this has

become
case of being a bit too politically correct. It is OK to have stuffed

toys
with orange faces, green faces, blue faces - in fact, every colour but
black.

Looking carefully at the style of doll, I think the Golliwog is just a
black version of the Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls, or maybe they were
red-haired copies of the Golly.

As far as 'politically correctness' goes, you should visit New Orleans
and see the fine-art black dolls that are made and sold there! I

believe
at least some of them are made by black artists, and they don't seem to
think that there is any problem with representing certain shapes and
facial expressions.

It's just a doll.

=Tamar

Old December 17th 03, 01:52 PM
Ophelia

"G.Kelly" wrote in message
[...]

Well said Gwen. I just wish the crazy political correctness ibiquitous in
our lives now would disappear

hugs

Old December 17th 03, 02:59 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:40:59 GMT, Ria Van de Velde wrote:

Kari, I do hope you make a doll like this for you. I find him very
cute and I believe every child in the world should have a doll that
resembles him/her. Having a black doll is no racism, but saying there
is something wrong with black dolls, certainly is.

The big problem the article points out is the stories that were written
about them, especially later in their popularity. I find it sad that such
things ruin what could be a positive experience. I used to love the Little
Black Sambo story as a kid and thought of him as a clever and brave little
boy who probably grew up to be a leader among men. I would have loved to
have had a black doll to make up adventures for and to join the adventures
of my other dolls and bears. Having a black doll to love seems such an
innocent thing. What a shame when it gets tainted with adult prejudices.

That said, the few Golliwogs I've seen never struck me as being meant to
look human. I always took him for some sort of mythical creature like
gnomes, trolls and pixies. I was nearly an adult before I even saw the
minstrel costume and make-up he was apparently based on, as part of a black
history program.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old December 17th 03, 03:06 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

Sigh. black coffee does give me heartburn, so I guess I'll stick with my
soy latte concoction. But I dearly love spinning black wool and all the
shades of silver and gray as well. I don't think I even want to know how
that rhyme got twisted into having some sort of racist meaning. As a kid,
when I got to choose a toy lamb at Easter I dove straight for the black
one, no doubt because of that rhyme.