sewing a kimono for halloween (going as oren)

Old October 22nd 03, 10:07 PM
Mike Behrent

Thanks Emily. Both are in basic cotton broadcloth. On the jacket with the
jumper I made my own bias trim tape out of the print fabric. It's kinda
funny. I decided to try sewing because I wanted to make a couple things for
myself. My wife handed me a stack of wardrobe wants and I've been at that
ever since, including red satin boxers and matching camisole top with lace
trim. Never have gotten to the projects I originally wanted to do G
Mike in Wisconsin

"Emily" wrote in message
Mike, those are fantastic outfits for any sewist, especially for a novice.
Emily

Old October 22nd 03, 10:14 PM
Trishty

On 22 Oct 2003 11:28:07 GMT, SewStorm wrote:

Trish, I participated in a bale buy of kimono, many years ago, and in my share
was one small obi. It's about 3-4" wide, made of something that is similar to,
but stiffer than, grosgrain ribbon, with extended ties. It would be perfect for
what you're talking about. I can't think what I did with that, must have given
it away.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

AAArrrghhh!

Trish
Old October 22nd 03, 10:14 PM
Trishty

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:46:15 GMT, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:

I think I recall reading in some book or another that the obi was
supposed to help reinforce a barrel look -- so I think it's deliberate.

Melinda, chuckling over how much padding she would need to obliterate
the appearance of an extremely large bust size to look properly Japanese

Yup - you can even buy pads in Japan if your figure's too unattractively
hourglass shaped, which pad your waist out. What with that and their
previous penchant for blackened teeth, the Japanese aesthetic is a tad
different from that in the West!

Trish
Old October 22nd 03, 10:20 PM
Mike Behrent

Here are some uchikake, or wedding kimonos. These are not the fully rig by
any meansThere is another ornate robe worm over this which is usually hand
embroidered and drags on the floor behind and a jacket worn over that. I
won't go into the headgear and other paraphanalia. The full wedding setup
can easily go for as much as $50,000 when hand made. A Navy buddy of mine
married a Japanese girl who wore her mothers ensemble for the wedding. I
have never in my life seen such beautiful wedding clothing in my life, right
down to the silk fan it was awesome and extremely valuable having all been
hand made.Yuki is planning on her daughter wearing it when she marries.
Mike in Wisconsin

"SewStorm" wrote in message
A wedding kimono for $50? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!. I've seen pictures of wedding
kimonos that cost up to $50,000. I have yet to see even a well used one
going for less than $1,000.

Hmm, this makes me very happy that I kept my short black silk one. It's
absolutely gorgeous, but very simple. Black four-ply silk on one side,

with no
ornamentation except for a stark white lotus on each chest, plus a larger

one
in the center of the back. On the reverse side is a magnificent silk

charmeuse
scene in lots of stormy looking greys and silver. I wear it sometimes as a
jacket, over dressy pants or skirt.

My friend has a few dozen, and she has some that are very beautiful. But

the
best piece she has is an obi, couched with what looks like 18kt gold

cording.
Breathtaking.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old October 23rd 03, 12:29 AM

Mike Behrent wrote:
Can any woman get the Barbie look?

Yeah, if they artificialize themselves enough.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old October 23rd 03, 03:15 AM

reply wrote:
I think I recall reading in some book or another that the obi was
supposed to help reinforce a barrel look -- so I think it's deliberate.
Melinda, chuckling over how much padding she would need to obliterate
the appearance of an extremely large bust size to look properly Japanese
---
Yup - you can even buy pads in Japan if your figure's too
unattractively hourglass shaped, which pad your waist out. What with
that and their previous penchant for blackened teeth, the Japanese
aesthetic is a tad different from that in the West!
Trish
---
I was browsing through some books at BJs one day, and came across one
which had many photos of foot binding (taken about the time binding of
women's feet was banned--after WWII, if I remember right). The results
were crippling for the women, it was horriffic to see their poor
deformed feet.
Cea

Old October 23rd 03, 03:25 AM
Mike Behrent

You might want to look at the Kropped Kimono pattern from Birch Street
Clothing. http://birchstreetclothing.com/patternpage23.html
I have the pattern around here someplace and it looks good. Haven't made it
yet. It's kinda down on my list right now.
Mike in Wisconsin

"La Vida Xena" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:55:03 GMT, "Mike Behrent"

wrote:

"La Vida Xena" wrote in message
.. .
On 21 Oct 2003 04:01:29 -0700, (rp) wrote:

does anybody here have an online pattern? or has anybody read " The
folkwear book of ethnic clothing : easy ways to sew & embellish
fabulous garments from around the world / Mary S. Parker. " it's in a
nearby library although still quite far away so I was just wondering
if a kimono pattern can be found there as well. Also I've seen in the
pictures that the girls are wearing something underneath usually of a
contrasting colour...does anybody know what that garment looks like?
is it just another kimono? or a sash like thing?
thanks for your help

snip
Right now I am working on a longish slim, slit skirt that would look at
home with a suit jacket. I keep envisioning using a mid-length kimono

instead.
I could probably wear it after those other 30 lbs are gone, and it'd be

kind
of a fun fashion statement. Underneath I could wear just about anything

that
is not bulky and doesn't have a collar-- am thinking tank top or scoop

necked
long sleeved T. I am a little stuck on what to make it out of. I want
something warm and suitlike but not tweedy (LOL) and not too shiny and

slick.

Xena

I made my wife a Yukata, which is a cotton version of kimono. She loves

it
as a lounging robe.
Mike in Wisconsin

I have just about settled on making my kimono/jacket to be reversible,

using the
same lightweight black suiting my skirt is made of on one side, and some

red and
black asian looking stuff on the inside. The neckband will be black, or

black
with little red flowers. I think I'll make a version of the wrap belt

style obi
from some of the mainstream pattern companies- like McCalls 4247.

I've enjoyed reading this thread, and seeing the pics of Mike's projects!
Thanks Usenet!

Xena

Old October 23rd 03, 01:27 PM
Kate Dicey

Mike Behrent wrote:

Can any woman get the Barbie look?
Mike in Wisconsin

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Mike Behrent wrote:
You're right on that. The iseal appearance was cylindical. A look not
particularly well suited to most women G

Yeah, but at least it's more achievable for more women than the Barbie

look.

Yes, but you need to start as a 34J bra size and insert yourself into a
Victorian corset. Then, naturally, you will be about as sexy and cuddly
as a Barbie doll... Rigid, with sharp bits to poke other people with!
You will also have the same propensity for falling over...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk