Folk Mote hug quilt - apologies, but no names

Old February 3rd 05, 02:59 PM
Karen Johnson

Default Folk Mote hug quilt - apologies, but no names

I have managed to get myself all bent out of shape over this posting
names, not posting names the Folk Mote hug quilt; some of the
ideas that have been posted and emailed to me seem to have really
stirred me up. This is a Good Thing -- it has made me really think
about things.

The light went on for me this morning while walking Bob-the-Dog.

I realized that what I truly love best about quilting is the complete
freedom of expression -- I get to do whatever I want. The minute
people start telling me I have to do this and I can't do that, I lose
interest. There are enough rules in every other part of my life; this
is the one place I can go and just cut loose (all puns intended).

I can quite clearly see that posting the names of the block makers
inhibits freedom of expression for some people. The reasons vary for
each person. It doesn't matter if I understand or agree with those
reasons -- it's not for me to judge. It's enough that it happens. I
wouldn't want my freedom of expression restricted, and I'm not about
to do it to anybody else!

So please accept my apology for wasting so much bandwidth on this, and
for being such a dunderhead about it. I hope everybody involved with
the Folk Mote hug quilt can appreciate that I was doing it just to
increase the fun level -- I'd done the same thing on Sue's hug quilt
several years ago, and on the UFO Challenge I did a few summers back,
and the participants really liked it. It never occurred to me people
would object this time.

Apologies, and many thanks to everyone who tried to explain to me why
posting names wasn't what they wanted, and oodles more thanks to
everyone who has sent or has even contemplated sending blocks!

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old February 4th 05, 03:36 AM
Polly Esther

I have been thinking. Actually, I am painting which gives me space to think.
Tried my best to figure out what this post is about. Didn't really get
anywhere.
I wonder if someone didn't like your telling that they made a block - or
which block? If they are embarrassed at being scrutinized or something by
any or all?
If Butterfly sent you a piece of fabric with butterflies or a final
notice on her water bill, if Pat sent you perfection (yeah, right), for my
part,
It would only let me share the fun of stalking the postman and opening
the spectacular, brilliant, funny and with love stuff that comes in.
My hat is off to you for putting together a Hug. I am delighted to see
the blocks that come in and profoundly thank you for putting them up for us
to enjoy.
Puzzled. Polly

"Karen Johnson" wrote I have managed to get myself all bent out of shape

Old February 4th 05, 05:20 AM
Butterfly

I kinda wondered what it was about too.....then I thought maybe I'm still
tired from the long trip.

Part of the fun of a HUG is seeing the different blocks--different styles
(patch, applique, signed squares of fabric, etc) that ppl used and the
different selections of colors (even if it was requested blues and white--do
you know how MANY shades of blue there are?) and then seeing all of them
put together in the final quilt. ALL the different blocks and how they do
work together to make it the 'best' HUG ever--and yes, I say that about
every one cause each one IS the best one. Just ask the receipt : )
Never thought we were in a 'contest' of any sort or type when we did a block
or two or four--we were/are doing it for the person that is receiving the
HUG be it for a HAPPY event, or fighting cancer or some such, or losing
everything they have.......
it is our way of CARING and helping them feel they are a part of us.
Please don't take the 'joy' out of a HUG with 'rules'--the only 'rules' that
we need to think about are the one (s) that the "mother of that particular
hug" sets/gives us as a guideline for our square/block.

HTH
Butterfly (and yes, I am STILL GRINNING about mine--and yes, I AM using
it--and yes, there have been many days that it has brought a lot of joy and
comfort to me and no, it doesn't go to SB with me--don't want to leave it
behind somewhere)

nk.net...

Old February 4th 05, 02:11 PM
Karen Johnson

Polly, and Butterfly too, who answered this,

I have been thinking. Actually, I am painting which gives me space to think.
Tried my best to figure out what this post is about. Didn't really get
anywhere.
I wonder if someone didn't like your telling that they made a block - or
which block? If they are embarrassed at being scrutinized or something by
any or all?
If Butterfly sent you a piece of fabric with butterflies or a final
notice on her water bill, if Pat sent you perfection (yeah, right), for my
part,
It would only let me share the fun of stalking the postman and opening
the spectacular, brilliant, funny and with love stuff that comes in.
My hat is off to you for putting together a Hug. I am delighted to see
the blocks that come in and profoundly thank you for putting them up for us
to enjoy.

I was puzzled too, and pondered quite a bit. (Isn't painting a
wonderful way to ponder? Just as good as walking a dog!) Then I went
from being puzzled to being obsessed, and had to find a way to let go
of it all, because it was taking up too much real estate in my already
overcrowded brain.

Several reasons were given by different people for thinking that
listing names was a bad idea: 1) it would turn it into a competition,
and people would compare one person's work with another; 2) it would
make people feel bad about their own work, because they would compare
their work to other people's more skilled work; 3) it would make
people feel bad about not contributing, or feel pressured to
contribute, to a hug quilt; 4) there was a fourth reason, but I never
could make enough sense out of it to repeat it, let alone understand
it.

As I said, these ideas are so utterly foreign to me that my jaw
actually dropped when I started reading them from different email. It
seemed to put such a dark and (to me) scary spin on such a
light-hearted and fun activity ... and it makes me sad that anybody
could find a way to turn this into a competition! Or would feel so
ashamed of their work that they didn't want their name attached to it.

The only reason I think I could have understood and rooted for was the
one held in a variety of religions: That all charity should be
anonymous, to ensure that it's done for the right reasons, and not out
of pride. But that's not how I feel about hug quilts! It's not
charity -- it's a party, and an outpouring of warmth.

So I let go of it by deciding that it didn't matter whether or not I
understood or agreed -- I just had to understand that it made some
people feel bad. And so, no names.

Maybe it's all part and parcel of living in an increasingly paranoid,
hostile, terrifying, post 9/11 world ... dunno. It does make me sad.

Hope your painting turned out well! What's the secret for not leaving
brush-hairs on the walls? Never could do that ...

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old February 4th 05, 02:13 PM
Karen Johnson

Butterfly,

Part of the fun of a HUG is seeing the different blocks--different styles
(patch, applique, signed squares of fabric, etc) that ppl used and the
different selections of colors (even if it was requested blues and white--do
you know how MANY shades of blue there are?) and then seeing all of them
put together in the final quilt.

I know how many shades of blue there are! I know! I know!!
frantically waving hand

NOT ENOUGH!!!

There's never enough color -- you can't have too much color!

Happy, happy birthday, by the way -- hope you had a WONDERFUL day.

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old February 4th 05, 03:16 PM
Polly Esther

Patti made me do it. I'm painting a picture of Hurricane Ivan.
In the middle of everything else, DD2 announced that she was going to
take a nap. She used to live here so I thought she could manage without my
turning back the guest room bed for her.
A couple of hours later, and rather sweaty, she walked in the living
room and grumped, "Just how many quilts do you have on that bed?"
Well. Nine actually.
For added warmth and security, their Yorkie and ours decided her notion
of a nap was a grand idea. One slept belly-up cuddled against her and the
other draped his furry little body across her head.
It is going to be quite a painting.
And . . . as to our pondering. Yes, my charity gifts are anonymous. Yes,
Hugs are not. They are a gathering. Polly

Old February 4th 05, 03:34 PM
nana2b

No apologies necessary Karen. I love looking at all the blocks and
sometimes putting a "face" on the block. You do what you think is best. I
will continue to contribute every time I can. Hugs, Linda