Wiring off the wheel,tip.

Old August 12th 05, 06:08 PM
plodder

Default Wiring off the wheel,tip.

Hi all, just joined your group after reading some of your postings.
There was some talk about wiring off pots and I thought I could share a
tip with you by way of introduction:
If, as I do, you slide your pots onto a selection of small wooden
boards it can create a'sticky' problem when you later come to remove
the pot to 'turn/trim' it, most people run a wire under the pot for a
second time.I have found that if you wet a sheet of newspaper (torn to
fit the board), lay it over the board (keeping it fairly smooth)and
slide the wired pot onto it, when you come to trim it later it will
lift off the board easily;sometimes a circle of paper stays on the base
of the pot but this is no problem to peel off.

Old August 12th 05, 08:41 PM
Jake Loddington

In message . com,
plodder writes
Hi all, just joined your group after reading some of your postings.
There was some talk about wiring off pots and I thought I could share a
tip with you by way of introduction:
If, as I do, you slide your pots onto a selection of small wooden
boards it can create a'sticky' problem when you later come to remove
the pot to 'turn/trim' it, most people run a wire under the pot for a
second time.I have found that if you wet a sheet of newspaper (torn to
fit the board), lay it over the board (keeping it fairly smooth)and
slide the wired pot onto it, when you come to trim it later it will
lift off the board easily;sometimes a circle of paper stays on the base
of the pot but this is no problem to peel off.

This sounds a good idea.

I use very thin batts (actually hardboard), and provided the pot is at
just the right degree of drying-out, I can hold the pot in my left hand
while I gently bend the batt away from the pot's base. If I do this
perhaps three or four times as I rotate the pot, it comes free from the
batt without trouble.

But I like the newspaper method, and I can't wait to try it!

Jake Loddington, POULTON-LE-FYLDE, Lancashire.

Old August 12th 05, 11:50 PM
Xtra News

"plodder" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all, just joined your group after reading some of your postings.
There was some talk about wiring off pots and I thought I could share a
tip with you by way of introduction:
If, as I do, you slide your pots onto a selection of small wooden
boards it can create a'sticky' problem when you later come to remove
the pot to 'turn/trim' it, most people run a wire under the pot for a
second time.I have found that if you wet a sheet of newspaper (torn to
fit the board), lay it over the board (keeping it fairly smooth)and
slide the wired pot onto it, when you come to trim it later it will
lift off the board easily;sometimes a circle of paper stays on the base
of the pot but this is no problem to peel off.

Dry newspaper does not stick, works better. However I don't wire off at
all. I use hardboard bats, leave the pot on it and flex the bat when
leather hard and the pot pops off, no clay wasted. You must not let the pot
dry beyond leather hard though or you get cracking in the base.

Old August 13th 05, 09:46 PM
pbhj

This may seem stupid, but I'm quite new to all this ... you use the
shiny side of the hardboard, right? Does that make the base of the pot
stay quite wet? I'm sure if you were using the other side it would just
adhere!? Yes?

Thanks,

Xtra News wrote:
ups.com...

Old August 13th 05, 11:03 PM
Xtra News

In New Zealand hardboard is a bit shiny on both sides. Ya know thin
darkish, layered stuff. Quite flexible and the clay sticks very well for
throwing and then pops off well when leather hard.

"pbhj" wrote in message
This may seem stupid, but I'm quite new to all this ... you use the shiny
side of the hardboard, right? Does that make the base of the pot stay
quite wet? I'm sure if you were using the other side it would just
adhere!? Yes?

Thanks,

Xtra News wrote:
ups.com...

Old August 13th 05, 11:57 PM
Jim Aberle

......generally if the pot is at leather hdard stage, good for trimming
purposes, it will come off bat easily...maybe a quick wiring may be
needed....but the newspaper idea sounds good and just shows the
ingenuity of potters....i leardned a good tip...i throw on a bat and if
i have to move the thrown piece to another bat, i put a paper towel
lightly on top of the piece....dampen where the towel touches the
rim....now when you slide the piece onto a bat, it will kepp the
"circle" of the pot and not get an ovalshape....simple idea but works
really well....
Old August 15th 05, 08:17 PM
Jake Loddington

In message , Jake Loddington
writes
There was some talk about wiring off pots and I thought I could share a
tip with you by way of introduction:
If, as I do, you slide your pots onto a selection of small wooden

SNIP
when you come to trim it later it will
lift off the board easily;sometimes a circle of paper stays on the base
of the pot but this is no problem to peel off.

This sounds a good idea.

But I like the newspaper method, and I can't wait to try it!

Jake Loddington, POULTON-LE-FYLDE, Lancashire.

Tried it, and it works a treat. Thank you!
Jake Loddington, POULTON-LE-FYLDE, Lancashire