buying clay in bags?

Old July 29th 05, 01:27 PM
mj

Default buying clay in bags?

Hello,
can anyone describe the best way to mix and prepare
larger amounts of clay from bags (dry),
without having clay mixer and pugmill?
Or perhaps with just a pugmill (like Venco)?
Any experiences?

thanks

Old July 30th 05, 09:03 AM
Steve Mills

I posted this a few weeks ago on the subject of reclaiming clay.

I am now using the same technique to MAKE clay from powdered materials:

I dry out all my trimmings etc., then put them into a large bucket with
lots of water and mix it up with a heavy duty paint mixer in a drill, I
also add a bit of Cider Vinegar to help it sour quickly.
The next step is to pour the slop into a trouser leg, preferably one
made of man-made fibres (they don't rot), with the bottom either sewn up
or tied in a knot, and hang it up to sweat dry. When it's a bit too firm
on the outside, it's a bit soft inside, so I peal of the leg, cut it
into lumps and bag it. When I need some I wedge & knead enough for the
day and use it.
I know this sounds like a lot of work but it truly isn't; just a few
minutes each day and no BIG effort. Also a hanging *sock* of clay takes
up much less room than a full drying board.
Unquote

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , mj writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old July 30th 05, 09:09 AM
Lee In Mashiko, Japan

Mix it into a slip, using a big drill and mixer as a blundger. Pour
slip into concrete tub or a canvas suspended over something like a
bathtub (a friend does it this way) to dry to a workable stiffness.

--
=E6=9D=8E Lee Love =E5=A4=A7
=E6=84=9B=E3=80=80=E3=80=80 =E3=80=80 =E3=80=80 =E9=B1=97

Old July 30th 05, 04:54 PM
Bob Masta

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:03:07 +0100, Steve Mills
wrote:

[...]

I'll second the "hanging pant leg" method. The
traditional method is to spread it out on a big
plaster bat... very messy, and you have to watch
it carefully or it will get too dry on the bottom.
I'd only go back to that if I had to make clay really
fast, like hours. The pant-leg method takes more
planning ahead, but it's definitely the way to go.

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator
Old July 30th 05, 08:22 PM
Jack Ouzzi

Steve Mills wrote:
I posted this a few weeks ago on the subject of reclaiming clay.

I am now using the same technique to MAKE clay from powdered materials:

I dry out all my trimmings etc., then put them into a large bucket with
lots of water and mix it up with a heavy duty paint mixer in a drill, I
also add a bit of Cider Vinegar to help it sour quickly.

Aha ... I wondered where I was going wrong. I was drinking the cider
vinegar and falling all over the place ... hic ;-)

Old July 30th 05, 08:26 PM
Bubbles

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve Mills wrote:
I posted this a few weeks ago on the subject of reclaiming clay.

I am now using the same technique to MAKE clay from powdered materials:

I dry out all my trimmings etc., then put them into a large bucket with
lots of water and mix it up with a heavy duty paint mixer in a drill, I
also add a bit of Cider Vinegar to help it sour quickly.

Aha ... I wondered where I was going wrong. I was drinking the cider
vinegar and falling all over the place ... hic ;-)

HAhaha!!!! Good thing he doesn't use whiskey ;-)

Marianne