Dealing with left over yarn

Old January 15th 05, 08:07 PM

Default Dealing with left over yarn

We had a very good thread on storing needles.

So how do people deal with those little balls of yarn left over from a
project? How do you store them? They do not fit in a file folder!

Do you keep the gauge trial with the left over yarn? But, some of my gauge
trials are stitch samplers that I want to keep with my patterns, and not
with my yarns. I guess that means a cross index system, i.e., a note
attached to the yarn that the guage trial is stitch sampler such and such.

When do you just throw the leftover yarn balls to the cats to play with?

Do you sort by yarn thickness or by color?

I keep projects in progress in clear plastic shoe boxes for small projects
or clear plastic sweater boxes for larger projects. Each project box has
all the yarn for that project, the guage trials, the needles, and
instructions/pattern/calculations/charts for that project. At the end of
the project, I put the needles away, file the pattern, and . . . . What do I
do with a 1.4 oz ball of bulky yarn.

What do you do with your bits of left over yarn? Is this where the squares
exchange comes in?

For now, I'm going to put them into recycled zip-lok plastic bags. The
cross index idea sounds altogether too much like work.

Should RCTY work together to get into the Guiness Book of Records by
createing the world's largest ball of yarn, one left over bit at time?

Aaron

Old January 15th 05, 08:19 PM
Aud

I love coloures, so I do it simple:
All reds in one basket, all mauve in one, all yellow in one (or
sometimes it is two and three)
I am So unprofessione that I mingle different thickness and types,
but when I set all my baskets out on the floor and let my eyes "swim "
in the colores, I am in paradise!
BTW: It's saturday evening here, but I have NOT drunk any vine yet, even
if you should think so!LOL!
(to be a bit more "soberminded" The baskets fit in a shelf, and stand
there side by side, easy to reach, and don't take too much place.(my
children have moved from home years ago, so I HAVE some more place now
;-)
AUD ;-)

skrev i melding
om...

Old January 16th 05, 01:11 AM
Shillelagh

"Aud" wrote in message
BTW: It's saturday evening here, but I have NOT drunk any vine yet, even
if you should think so!LOL!

Heh, heh. Well Aud, I'm in the middle of BBQing some steak for supper, and
am on my second glass of wine. (giggle) I find that cooking is much easier
accompanied by a bottle of wine.

My leftover bits of yarn are in one big plastic tote for use whenever I need
them. (giggle). Time for another sip (giggle)

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Shelagh

Old January 16th 05, 01:13 AM
Aud

"Shillelagh" skrev i melding

"Aud" wrote in message
BTW: It's saturday evening here, but I have NOT drunk any vine yet,
even
if you should think so!LOL!

Heh, heh. Well Aud, I'm in the middle of BBQing some steak for
supper, and
am on my second glass of wine. (giggle) I find that cooking is much
easier
accompanied by a bottle of wine.

LOL! I'm with you there! ..and now it's night here, and I have had some
red wine too!LOL!Aud ;-))

Old January 16th 05, 04:23 AM
Katherine

Aud wrote:
"Shillelagh" skrev i melding

"Aud" wrote in message
BTW: It's saturday evening here, but I have NOT drunk any vine yet,
even
if you should think so!LOL!

Heh, heh. Well Aud, I'm in the middle of BBQing some steak for
supper, and
am on my second glass of wine. (giggle) I find that cooking is much
easier
accompanied by a bottle of wine.

LOL! I'm with you there! ..and now it's night here, and I have had
some red wine too!LOL!Aud ;-))

Hmmm, I think that many of us enjoy a little nip now and again. g

Katherine (who is drinking beer tonight)

Old January 16th 05, 04:33 AM
Kira Dirlik

Oh I just love to cook with red wine. (Cooking on the stove, red
wine into the tummy.)
I have a big antique trunk. All my yarn gets stored there, small
balls in big plastic bags, color sorted). But lately it has
overflowed my trunk!
Kira

On 16 Jan 2005 00:13:57 GMT, "Aud" wrote:

"Shillelagh" skrev i melding

Old January 16th 05, 04:22 AM
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
"Aud" wrote in message
BTW: It's saturday evening here, but I have NOT drunk any vine yet,
even if you should think so!LOL!

Heh, heh. Well Aud, I'm in the middle of BBQing some steak for
supper, and am on my second glass of wine. (giggle) I find that
cooking is much easier accompanied by a bottle of wine.

Definitely, Shelagh! Especially on a Saturday night. Hope you enjoyed
yourself.

Katherine

Old January 16th 05, 06:24 PM
Shillelagh

"Katherine" wrote in message
Shillelagh wrote:
"Aud" wrote in message
BTW: It's saturday evening here, but I have NOT drunk any vine yet,
even if you should think so!LOL!

Heh, heh. Well Aud, I'm in the middle of BBQing some steak for
supper, and am on my second glass of wine. (giggle) I find that
cooking is much easier accompanied by a bottle of wine.

Definitely, Shelagh! Especially on a Saturday night. Hope you enjoyed
yourself.

Katherine

Dinner turned out very well thank you (smile). Very tasty. I even managed
to knit on my sweater later too.

Shelagh

Old January 16th 05, 11:57 PM
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
Shillelagh wrote:
"Aud" wrote in message
BTW: It's saturday evening here, but I have NOT drunk any vine yet,
even if you should think so!LOL!

Heh, heh. Well Aud, I'm in the middle of BBQing some steak for
supper, and am on my second glass of wine. (giggle) I find that
cooking is much easier accompanied by a bottle of wine.

Definitely, Shelagh! Especially on a Saturday night. Hope you enjoyed
yourself.

Katherine

Dinner turned out very well thank you (smile). Very tasty. I even
managed to knit on my sweater later too.

Then you definitely deserved the wine!

Katherine

Old January 16th 05, 02:20 PM
Penny Gaines

Aud wrote:

I love coloures, so I do it simple:
All reds in one basket, all mauve in one, all yellow in one (or
sometimes it is two and three)
I am So unprofessione that I mingle different thickness and types,
but when I set all my baskets out on the floor and let my eyes "swim "
in the colores, I am in paradise!

Oh yeah, I love to empty out my collection and just look at what is there!

A couple of weeks ago, I was in John Lewis wool dept (John Lewis is a
UK department store), and there were several pinks next to each other,
looking so pretty that I bought just one ball of each. I have plans
to make a Kaffe Fasset inspired jumper in shades of pink and lilac,
and I need as many different shades as possible, so they will be used.
They weren't expensive yarns - patons and similar - so I wasn't being
extravegent.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

A question about yarn ~ Vivia Yarn 11 January 13th 05 02:42 AM
Fun Fur, Sock Yarn, Cottons, Other Yarn for Sale ellbee Marketplace 0 April 6th 04 03:12 PM
Yarn Weight Catagories DA Yarn 5 December 6th 03 03:02 AM
Less that 12 Hours left! Lot of yarn and Knitting needles! madhatress Marketplace 0 September 17th 03 01:47 PM
New Yarn - Bernat Lu Lu Make Up Yarn 6 July 29th 03 09:16 AM