Help -- pencil marks didn't wash out

Old November 8th 03, 06:02 AM

Default Help -- pencil marks didn't wash out

Does anyone have advice for getting out black pastel chalk pencil marks?
I bought the pencil at my LQS and marked a few quilting lines on white
and yellow fabrics. Washed the quilt in Orvus soap with a Woolite Dye
Magnet sheet. The pencil marks didn't fade a bit.

What remedies have worked for you?

Philip

Old November 8th 03, 06:35 AM
Jalynne

Try using liquid stain remover. This worked for a red chalk marking pencil (one
specially for quilt marking...) and I panicked, but a friend of mine calmed me down
and suggested it. I put the stain remover on, let it sit for an hour, then hand
washed it.
--
Jalynne

Old November 8th 03, 01:07 PM
Jeri

wrote in message

Does anyone have advice for getting out black pastel chalk pencil
marks? I bought the pencil at my LQS and marked a few quilting lines
on white and yellow fabrics. Washed the quilt in Orvus soap with a
Woolite Dye Magnet sheet. The pencil marks didn't fade a bit.

What remedies have worked for you?

May I suggest before you start experimenting on your quilt that you take
some of the same fabric and mark it? Once you find what works you can then
use it on the quilt itself.

I'd also call the LQS and tell them. If it's a pencil meant to be used for
quilting they may know what to do. If it's not then they'd probably be very
happy to get a warning before it happens to others. (At least I'd hope they
would be!)
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old November 9th 03, 05:33 AM

Well, I experimented as you suggested. I marked on a scrap of the
fabric, rubbed it with Shout, and hand washed it. The marks came out. So
I Shout-ed the quilt and washed it a second time. Didn't work. The
pencil marks were still there.

I draped the damp quilt across the back seat of my car and drove to my
LQS. They were baffled, and suggested trying a fabric eraser after the
quilt dried.

After doing some shopping and some errands, I got home about 4 hours
later. I pulled the now-dry quilt out of the car -- and there were no
marks. I suppose they just faded away once the quilt was completely dry.

If I'd only known....

Philip

HELP - White gold ring with black marks?? Moochie Jewelry 1 June 16th 04 02:03 AM
To Wash or Not to Wash - that is the question Cindy Needlework 18 April 21st 04 07:47 PM
To wash or not to wash Nada Quilting 39 September 19th 03 07:36 PM
wash or rinse? Tea Chapter Needlework 7 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
kiln wash question psci_kw Pottery 1 July 26th 03 11:51 PM