Bobbin case explosion?

Old August 13th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Bobbin case explosion?

I don't see that anyone has responded to what Sunny wrote on 8/10 about her
bobbin case. Her post was in the thread Michelle began on 8/8 about free
motion. Sunny's not stitching on junk SMs, she has a fine Pfaff and, maybe
a Janome - she calls it a 6600. Anyhow. We need to know if this has Ever
happened to anyone else and if we need to put on our weed-eating goggles the
next time we turn the screws on our bobbin cases. Polly

Sunny said I have a very good reason for desperately wanting a special
FMQ bobbin holder:

I read everything in the manual, everything everybody here ever said
about adjusting bobbin holders, everything I could find online. Then I
sat down with my Pfaff 7570 bobbin holder and a tiny screwdriver. I
made a teeny, tiny little motion with the screwdriver, hardly visible.
The darned bobbin holder sprang apart like an over wound watch. When
my heart slowed to a normal rhythm I found the pieces and tried to put
it back the way it was before I messed with it. No go. I've got it
into one piece, but thread catches and splits. I've adjusted and oiled
a tiny bit and begged the darned thing to work.

In the end I just bought another bobbin holder. Which is way tighter
than the old one that came with my machine and which requires that I
constantly fiddle with the tension setting. And that was the "easy"
bobbin holder to adjust. No way am I touching screw driver to my 6600
bobbin holder after that experience. Nope, I'll just spend the money
up front rather than trying to replace something that may or may not
work as well as the original.

And that is why I'm willing to pay good money for a bobbin holder that
could be adjusted if I was brave enough.

Sunny

Old August 13th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Yup, had it happen years ago on an old brother. Tried to make
adjustments and the screw went flying. Put it back together but it was
never the same. After a few weeks of constant adjustments I decided to
buy a new one. Never had any troubles after that. The new one worked
like a dream. So I just don't mess with the bobbin tension. If I must
I'll take it in to get a cleaning and tell him. Our local guy will
adjust it properly as part of the cleaning if need be.
Take Care
Joanna

Old August 13th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchystitcher

Some machines have bobbins made to be adjusted and some warn against
it. I have several bobbin cases I bought for my Brother 1500 and have
adjusted them for different threads. I recently invested in a Towa
bobbin tension gauge and have found that the perfect bobbin tension
for this machine is 225.

Old August 13th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article 9XIgm.41010$PH1.24972@edtnps82,
Joanna wrote:

Yup, had it happen years ago on an old brother. Tried to make
adjustments and the screw went flying. Put it back together but it was
never the same. After a few weeks of constant adjustments I decided to
buy a new one. Never had any troubles after that. The new one worked
like a dream. So I just don't mess with the bobbin tension. If I must
I'll take it in to get a cleaning and tell him. Our local guy will
adjust it properly as part of the cleaning if need be.
Take Care
Joanna

But Joanna, did your brother ever recover? Sorry -- I couldn't help
it. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old August 13th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Witchystitcher wrote:

Some machines have bobbins made to be adjusted and some warn against
it. I have several bobbin cases I bought for my Brother 1500 and have
adjusted them for different threads. I recently invested in a Towa
bobbin tension gauge and have found that the perfect bobbin tension
for this machine is 225.

What's a Towa bobbin tension gauge? That sounds interesting!

Old August 13th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
robb

wrote:

Yup, had it happen years ago on an old brother. Tried to make
adjustments and the screw went flying. Put it back together

but it was
never the same. After a few weeks of constant adjustments I

decided to
buy a new one. Never had any troubles after that

As a tool junkie i may invest in one of those Towa bobbin tension
meter devices.

But before i learned of the Towa ...

Occasionally i would use the 'Duracell AA' or 'Energizer AA'
tension gauge with a couple of US Liberty/Jeferson $0.05 to fine
tune the tension values. The AAs are about 25 grams each and the
Jeferson Nickel is about 5 grams. Some of the service manuals i
own have the bobbin tension spec. between 20 - 40 grams.

With the *weights* taped to the thread i could adjust the screw
until the weights fell properly.
Maybe not as easy to use or as accurate as the Towa but it works.

YMMV

robb

Old August 13th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default Sandy... Bobbin case explosion?

....HAHA....thanx made me laugh
Take Care
joanna

Old August 13th 09, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchystitcher

http://www.allstitch.net/product/tow...yle-l-4006.cfm

Expensive for a gadget, but so far well worth it. Perfect tension
every time.

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:03:43 -0700, Sandy
wrote:

In article ,
Witchystitcher wrote:

Some machines have bobbins made to be adjusted and some warn against
it. I have several bobbin cases I bought for my Brother 1500 and have
adjusted them for different threads. I recently invested in a Towa
bobbin tension gauge and have found that the perfect bobbin tension
for this machine is 225.

What's a Towa bobbin tension gauge? That sounds interesting!

Kenmore bobbin case Ginger in CA Quilting 10 November 29th 08 08:29 PM
Bobbin case Marie Dodge[_2_] Quilting 11 February 15th 08 03:13 PM
bobbin case swap? polly esther Quilting 15 January 16th 07 08:44 AM
singer bobbin case Karen Quilting 2 April 22nd 06 03:56 AM
Singer 115 bobbin case [email protected] Sewing 1 January 6th 06 08:16 AM