Where to buy sheet metal for small craft project

Old October 7th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.misc
[email protected]

Default Where to buy sheet metal for small craft project

On Oct 5, 4:03 pm, wrote:
HI

I need small pieces of sheet metal ( copper/Bronze/Tin/Al) for a craft
project. Sheets can be as small as 4x6 inch and thin so that they can
be cut easily. They dont need to have much structural strength because
the cut shapes will be attached to a flat surface.

Where can I buy such sheets, either on the web or locally in the San
Jose, CA area?

Thanks.

-Dipu

Most real hardware stores and hobby shops have thin sheet for sale,
usually in the same area where they've got telescoping brass and
aluminum tubing for modellers. Most of this stuff is thin enough to
cut with scissors. It's not cheap, though, most pre-cut metal isn't
and scrap price has gotten to the point where just asking for it isn't
going to be rewarding. If you have to go looking for it, ask for shim
stock. If you need large amounts, go looking for roofing flashing,
this comes in rolls and is usually zinc or aluminum. Roofing copper
is out of sight.

Stan

Old October 7th 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.misc
Ron Davidson

Thanks Winston,

I moved away 4 years ago and I just couldn't think of the name.

....Ron

Home of RonzCrafts - Iris Folding and more.
http://home.earthlink.net/~ronzcrafts/

"Winston" wrote in message
Ron Davidson wrote:
Hi,

I'm also from San Jose, but recently moved to FL. Orchard Supply should
have what you want. Also try the hobby shop at the corner of Saratoga

Ave.
and Campbell Ave. I forget their name. I know they use small copper

sheets
on model planes.

Sounds like:
D & J Hobby & Crafts
(408) 379-1696
96 N San Tomas Aquino Rd, Campbell, CA 95008

--Winston

Old October 27th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.misc
[email protected]

Thanks a lot to all the posters. The D&J Hobby Store worked out the
best. They had very thin sheets ( 36-42 Gauge) of Brass, Copper,
Stainless Steel. They had 3 sheet ( 1 of each metal) packs, each sheet
7x5 inch. They cost $4-$5 depnding on the pack. Those worked out
really well for project. Those could be easily cut using a metal snips
and x-acto knives.

-Dipu

Sounds like:
D & J Hobby & Crafts
(408) 379-1696
96 N San Tomas Aquino Rd, Campbell, CA 95008

--Winston- Hide quoted text -