Stains from Black Walnuts - Please Help

Old July 29th 05, 03:51 PM
Will O. Whisp

In article . com,
says...

Except I wasn't kidding about the brillo/SOS pad. Very light abrasion
to remove outer layers of skin (and discoloration) without breaking the
skin works very well. I've done this for years after picking
blackberries, staining wood, etc.

Rob

My apologies for thinking you were being facetious.

In that case, I wonder why no one has mentioned the
excellent waterless hand cleaners on the market,
both with and without pumice, used by automotive
mechanics for removing deeply dug in grease and grime?
As an artist, I use waterless hand cleaners regularly
for removing paint and stains from my hands.

Old July 29th 05, 06:59 PM
Rob

Good question. Even Lava soap (do they still make that?), which had
powdered pumice mixed in the bar, would work better than basic soap and
water.

What waterless hand cleaner do you use? My winemaking area has an
outdoor standpipe for a water supply, so something like that would be
helpful in that area so I didn't have to go outside every time.

Rob

Old July 29th 05, 07:32 PM
Duane Bozarth

Rob wrote:

Good question. Even Lava soap (do they still make that?), which had
powdered pumice mixed in the bar, would work better than basic soap and
water.

What waterless hand cleaner do you use? My winemaking area has an
outdoor standpipe for a water supply, so something like that would be
helpful in that area so I didn't have to go outside every time.

Rob

Various...they're generally helpful on grease and grime, far less help
on dyes and stains such as is under discussion here. You might find
some of the citrus-based paint cleaners more useful although I haven't
really tried it for walnut stain it does help on some of the others like
oil stains...
Old August 2nd 05, 08:53 PM
dave lindsay

Dynamite. ;o)
"Clemens" wrote in message
I was picking and halving walnuts, and my hands got dark brown from
tannin in walnut's shell.

Please, is there any effective agent to remove dark stains off the
hands ?

I tried with acetone, alcohol, lighter fuel, paint thiner, windex,
washing soap, laundry detergent, but it didn't help.

Thank you.

Old August 3rd 05, 12:21 AM
arne thormodsen

"dave lindsay" wrote in message
Dynamite. ;o)

Of course, this leads to the next question:

"How do I remove the dark stains from my walls, ceiling and floor?"
;-)

--arne

Old August 24th 05, 01:07 AM
Jerald Houk

Lemon Juice should do the trick.
It's the citrus acid in it that removes the stains.
I used to work with a lot of mahogany that turned my hands purple.
It works for me,
Jerry

Old November 27th 05, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.crafts.misc,alt.rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking

Default Stains from Black Walnuts - Please Help

I've used WD40 to remove various stains. Works well on removing grease
from automotive work as well.. It may work for you, spray it on, scrub,
wash with soap.

-astria

"Clemens" wrote in message

I was picking and halving walnuts, and my hands got dark brown from
tannin in walnut's shell.

Please, is there any effective agent to remove dark stains off the
hands ?

I tried with acetone, alcohol, lighter fuel, paint thiner, windex,
washing soap, laundry detergent, but it didn't help.

Thank you.

black hills gold jewelry [email protected] Jewelry 0 September 24th 04 02:22 AM
black and white square in a square Brian Christiansen Quilting 3 June 22nd 04 07:59 AM
The significance or meaning of specific colors in different countries, ex. Black and Red in Japan? Quil Quilting 3 January 8th 04 10:22 PM
Mosaic Knitting SGC Yarn 30 December 26th 03 04:14 PM
Keepsake Quilting's solid black cotton Johanna Gibson Quilting 6 October 6th 03 05:55 PM