Questions on soap and soapmaking

Old January 15th 05, 07:25 PM
Toby

Default Questions on soap and soapmaking

What determines the softness and the mildness of a (traditional) soap?

How does the soap from a hot and a cold process differ?

How much glycerin is produced in the saponification of coconut, olive,
palm oil with NaOH?

How much of the fat in coconut, olive, palm oil is unsaponifiable with
NaOH?

Why does KOH leave more unsaponified fats behind than NaOH?
Old January 15th 05, 08:19 PM

Toby wrote:
What determines the softness and the mildness of a (traditional)

soap?

The severity of the resulting skin irritation.
Third degree burns are considered acceptable.

How does the soap from a hot and a cold process differ?

One is hot, the other cold.

How much glycerin is produced in the saponification of coconut,

olive,
palm oil with NaOH?

About the same amount as with flaxseed, cottonseed,
or pine nuts.

How much of the fat in coconut, olive, palm oil is unsaponifiable

with
NaOH?

About the same amount as with flaxseed, cottonseed,
or pine nuts.

Why does KOH leave more unsaponified fats behind than NaOH?

You've got that backwards; it's because the sodium
cation is not as effective in attacking the unsaponification
sites of the fats.
..
..
...Mark (GOOGLE: soap soapmaking ~64500 hits Hit the
showers, kid; yer through for the day :-)

Old January 16th 05, 03:14 AM
donald j haarmann

"Andrew Tweddle"
Why does KOH leave more unsaponified fats behind than NaOH?

These questions would be best answered by a book on Soap manufacture.
I actually have one called "Soap manufacture", can't remember the author
published in the 1940's. In a good Uni/Tech library you will find scores
of these books, published from before the turn of last century on. My
book actually had tables of all sorts of things like oil type vs
saponifyability, graphs of all types etc.

Andrew Tweddle

--------
I shelve -

I.V.S. Stanislaus & P.B. Roberts
American Soap Makers Guide
Henry Cary Baird & Co. 1928
709 pages

W.A. Poucher
Perfume Cosmetic & Soap
D. Van Nostrand 1926
2 volumes

For the library adverse - www.just****inggoogleit.com

--
donald j haarmann - independently dubious

Old January 16th 05, 07:50 PM
Marvin

donald j haarmann wrote:
"Andrew Tweddle"

[...]

I suspect that the person who asked the questions would be better informed by an encyclopedia article than by tehcnical
publications. And if the question was from a young student, the last part of the response was entirely inappropriate.
Old January 16th 05, 10:43 PM
donald j haarmann

"Marvin"

donald-haarmann wrote -
For the library adverse - www.just****inggoogleit.co

I suspect that the person who asked the questions would be better informed by an encyclopedia article than by tehcnical
publications. And if the question was from a young student, the last part of the response was entirely inappropriate.

----------
Forsooth! [Using an archaic term. A modern anthimeria would be BULL****!]

soapmaking chemistry 4 730 hit @ google
soap making chemistry 160 000 hits @ google

Where do be .... the inappropriateness?!?

--
donald j haarmann - independently dubious

Old January 17th 05, 01:33 PM

Marvin wrote:
donald j haarmann wrote:
"Andrew Tweddle"

[...]

Marvin, dear, when you start out saying
"I suspect", an intelligent reader reads
that as "I'm clueless and want someone
to change my diaper".

I happen to have an old diaper laying
about; it's well dried out and shouldn't
be a problem unless you wet it.
..
..
...Mark (CONTEST: Most ingenious way to dumb-down the students.
Anyone?)

Old January 17th 05, 05:41 PM
Marvin

donald j haarmann wrote:
"Marvin"

donald-haarmann wrote -
For the library adverse - www.just****inggoogleit.co

I suspect that the person who asked the questions would be better informed by an encyclopedia article than by tehcnical
publications. And if the question was from a young student, the last part of the response was entirely inappropriate.

----------
Forsooth! [Using an archaic term. A modern anthimeria would be BULL****!]

soapmaking chemistry 4 730 hit @ google
soap making chemistry 160 000 hits @ google

Where do be .... the inappropriateness?!?

The techncal publications aren't the best place for a layman to look for informaton.

Foul language is offensive to many people, and most have the sense not to use them in the presence of young people. One of
the things I learned in the Army is that four-letter words are a lousy communication tool.

Old January 17th 05, 09:55 PM
donald j haarmann

"Marvin"

-----------
What I learned in 3 years in da Army is to use "****" as a verbal comma.

--
donald j haarmann - independently dubious

Old January 17th 05, 10:32 PM
Borek

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:41:09 -0500, Marvin
wrote:

One of the things I learned in the Army is that four-letter words are a
lousy communication tool.

Four short words (none of them strictly technical) are enough to make a
bunch
of privates erect 100 feet communication antenna. Seen that working

Best,
Borek