Heavy Liquid Casting Resin

Old December 9th 04, 01:45 AM

Default Heavy Liquid Casting Resin

Hello all,

I have some hollow plastic models that I'm trying to make much heavier,
and I figured some sort of casting resin would be ideal, although I
don't know much about it.

I figure a low viscosity resin could be poured through small holes into
the plastic forms, but I'd need one that hardens with a fair amount of
weight.

Any suggestions?

thanks much

Old December 9th 04, 04:52 AM
Greg Reynolds

Kind of depends on why you are doing this.

If you are trying to balance an aircraft model on its nose wheel,
forget it. The resin just isn't dense enough to get enough weight in
the limited space available. You're better off pouring in small lead
shot (sporting goods or gun store) and sealing it off with some resin
or superglue.

I'm not sure what to do if you are just looking to make them feel more
substantial (stiffer?). I'd be leary of any resin that can flow easily
through small holes. Seems like it could also run OUT of small holes.
Stay away from polyester (fiberglass) resin. It can generate a lot of
heat when it cures in thick (1/2"?) sections. (Doesn't it also attack
styrene?) I've heard horror stories about guys trying to pump
polyurethane foam (that spray can insulation stuff) into finished
models. It can generate enough pressure to split most model glue
seams. A common technique for stiffening up large vinyl kits, is to
use fill them with plaster or Durham's Water Putty (hardware store).
Unfortunately, these aren't very runny and may not be easy to work
into an assembled model.

Good luck,

Greg Reynolds, IPMS

Old December 10th 04, 12:49 AM

I'm working on a movie, and what I'm doing is turning hollow plastic
squirt guns into heavyweight "stunt doubles" for the more expensive
guns. These need to be heavy so they can be dropped, tossed about etc.
with the same physics as the real guns.

I've considered lead shot but worry that I won't be able to ensure even
distribution inside the form. I tried wall putty, but it wasn't heavy
enough (or I wasn't able to fill the entire area inside the form). I
figure low viscosity resin will fill all the nooks and cracks, then
harden evenly. Obviously, any filler that expands, heats up, or
dissolves plastic is out.

Old December 10th 04, 01:34 AM
Norm Filer

"Obviously, any filler that expands, heats up, or
dissolves plastic is out."

Resin tends to generate considerable heat during the brief but intense
curing process. Might not be enough to melt down your guns, but I'll bet it
is enough to distort them here and there.

Norm

Old December 10th 04, 09:29 PM
Chris Wilson

"Obviously, any filler that expands, heats up, or
dissolves plastic is out."

20 minute casting plaster! It stays cool, doesn't expand, doesn't harm
plastic, and it's cheap...

Old December 10th 04, 11:30 PM
Wayne C. Morris

In article ,
"Chris Wilson" wrote:

"Obviously, any filler that expands, heats up, or
dissolves plastic is out."

20 minute casting plaster! It stays cool, doesn't expand, doesn't harm
plastic, and it's cheap...

I find that plaster does gets warm. It's more noticeable with large
castings. But it doesn't get as warm as casting resin, and not enough to
harm a plastic model. Plaster also tends to cool down quickly after a
certain point, probably due to evaporation of the water.
Old December 11th 04, 12:55 AM

The filler needs to be low viscosity enough to flow into the form
through relatively small openings: 1/2" or so at the small end of the
spectrum. My feeling is that if plaster were thinned enough to do so,
it wouldn't dry heavy enough.

I don't have a lot of experience with plaster (besides spackling my
walls) so I'll defer to the expertise of others.

Old December 11th 04, 05:52 AM
Chris Wilson

Plaster is simple and you can buy a 50 lb. bag for about the cost of a quart
of casting resin. I use it at work (modelmaker) all the time for filling
vinyl tubes (squeeze type) and empty shampoo bottles to make them rigid and
heavy for painting. They are smallish (as is a squirt gun) so heat generated
isn't a problem. I usually only mix about 20 oz. at a time and use cold
water to keep the heat down further. If your mix is smooth (I sift the
plaster into water to avoid lumps) it can squirted through a syringe or
poured through a funnel.
If you do choose casting resin, you may want to try refigerating it before
mixing. This will slow down the gel time and help with exotherm, but will
thicken the mix...
Good luck
Zactoman

casting low nickel copper [email protected] Jewelry 3 February 4th 05 07:13 AM
Casting Resin beads? Kylie Hoschke Jewelry 0 January 6th 05 07:15 AM
Casting Resin? Kylie Hoschke Beads 0 January 6th 05 07:04 AM
Tumbling Polyester Casting Resin ? Tom 7 Jewelry 0 November 29th 04 06:46 AM
J-2R Casting machine Raffle Ganoksin Jewelry 0 December 16th 03 06:35 AM