Paper Making For Kids From Wood With Baking Soda?

Old July 12th 03, 05:53 PM
JMorris

Default Paper Making For Kids From Wood With Baking Soda?

Hi there!

I'm a Dad who is getting ready to visit a cottage with his daughter
and other relatives. Thinking about maybe trying to make some paper.
And have some nice downloads from the web for this.

Wondering if we could do this directly from grasses or wood. Maybe
some old rotton poplar trees. Mash 'em up, boil 'em up and then you
can do the paper thing.

YOUR QUESTION (Mr./Ms. Phelps!): To make paper you need to get the
lignin glue out of the fibers. Apparently either a strong acid or a
strong base will do this. Typically, in a hobby type situation, you
would use lye.

Is it possible to use something a little less dangerous. I mean,
having to wear gloves and goggles doesn't sound like much fun.

Would lemon juice or vinegar or baking soda work (well, not at the
same time)?

Look forward to any thoughts!

John-In-Toronto
Old July 12th 03, 09:44 PM
Pat Kight

JMorris wrote:
[...]

Paper making from wood is, as you note, a messy process that requires
strong chemicals. Lemon juice and vinegar probably won't do the trick.
It also requires high temperatures, and that alone poses some risks.

A better choice for kids might be making paper from ... paper!

Gather up junk mail and other recyclable paper (not the glossy magazine
stuff, which is coated with clay), an old blender you won't want to use
for food again, a piece of window screen in a wooden frame and a large,
flat tub (Rubbermaid makes some flat storage boxes that work great for this.

Tear the paper into small pieces (a good job for kids!) and whir it up
in the blender with a couple of cups of water till it turns to a
grey-ish pulp. If you want to color it, add torn pieces of common
colored construction paper.

Fill the tub half-full of water and stir in the pulp mixture. Keep
stirring while you slip the screen under the water and pulp and bring it
straight up to catch a screenful of pulp. Let it drain for a while, then
turn it out onto a dish towel or some other absorbent surface; continue
drying in the sun and - voila! Instant paper (although the first few
attempts will probably be more like cardboard in texture). You can add
leaves, grasses, flower petals, seeds and other things into the pulp, or
press it into the surface of the wet paper, to make "nature paper."

This is a great outdoor activity and one kids really seem to like. My
description is sketchy, but you can find more detailed ones by googling
for "handmade paper" and "instructions".

Have fun!

--
Pat Kight

Old July 13th 03, 12:04 AM
Frank Martin

I remember in my lost youth, making paper pulp from old good-quality paper
churned up in a blender. Then a stocking stretched over a frame was used to
make the paper itself.
om...

Old July 13th 03, 01:11 AM
David Lloyd-Jones

Pat Kight wrote:

A better choice for kids might be making paper from ... paper!

Gather up junk mail and other recyclable paper (not the glossy magazine
stuff, which is coated with clay), an old blender you won't want to use
for food again, a piece of window screen in a wooden frame and a large,
flat tub (Rubbermaid makes some flat storage boxes that work great for
this.

Tear the paper into small pieces (a good job for kids!) and whir it up
in the blender with a couple of cups of water till it turns to a
grey-ish pulp. If you want to color it, add torn pieces of common
colored construction paper.

Pat,

Any child too dopey to see through this fraud deserves, well,
deserves to be subjected to such a fraud.

-dlj.

Old July 13th 03, 02:46 AM
JMorris

Pat,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Actually, I've done a bit of research and was aware of the whole
"recovery of pre-processed fibres" thing. And my daughter in fact has
done that at school and enjoyed it. However, I was wondering about
doing it for real -- how fibres can be obtained from real wood. My
question I guess is really about chemistry and about how strong baking
soda is, or alternatively on the other side of the ph spectrum, lemon
juice. Or perhaps there are other recipes?

Any more ideas about this will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Old July 13th 03, 05:54 AM
David Lloyd-Jones

JMorris wrote:
Pat,

Thanks for your quick reply!

John,

You don't seem to have replied to my note. I hope you are quite
clear that I think Pat is your children's enemy.

-dlj.

F/A: Arthur Grummer's Paper Making Videos! N S Marketplace 0 May 20th 04 03:21 AM
AD: Handmade paper making supplies Tonja L. Marketplace 0 January 22nd 04 08:38 PM
Baking Soda Beads starlia Beads 11 September 9th 03 09:35 PM
Baking Soda Beads ... bijoulune Beads 4 September 9th 03 03:21 AM
CHINESE PAPER CUT ITEMS HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:48 AM