Help with knitting instructions

Old May 24th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default Help with knitting instructions

Hello:

I am new to this group as well as to knitting (I have made one sweater
and some scarfs in the past). I am currently working on a baby sweater
and was hoping someone with more experience would be willing to assist
in clarifying instructions.

I have just finished attaching my sleeves to the front and back pieces
(they were knit as one), the instructions in my pattern call my
section shaping raglans. There is a simple pattern and so the
instructions refer to knit and purl rows as pattern (Patt). The
instructions in question read as follows with square brackets
indicating what sections certain work corresponds to:

(123 stitches)
5th Row. Patt 14[front of sweater], s1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, patt 23
[sleeve], s1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, patt 29[back of sweater], s1, k1,
psso, k1, k2tog, patt 23[sleeve], s1, k1, k2tog, patt 14 [front of
sweater](115 sts)
6th Row. Purl
Rep 5th and 6th rows once (107 sts)

Here lies my question. Since when I knit the 5th row I lose 8
stitches, how should i modify for the 7th row.
Should I modify as follows or am I completely off:

Patt 13, s1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, patt 21, s1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog,
patt 27, s1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, patt 21, s1, k1, k2tog, patt 13(107
sts)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as in the meantime I'm
stuck and can't keep knitting along.

Catherine
Old May 24th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_3_]

wrote in message
[...]

Why would you want to modify anything? You are decreasing 8 sts every other
row. 123-8= 115 sts (Row 5&6)
115-8 =107 sts (Row 7&8) which is the exact number of stitches the pattern
calls for after row 8. Here is a link to a multi-color raglan which shows
how the shaping should look.
http://www.darkhorseyarns.com/patter...20Cardigan.pdf

DA

Old May 24th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On May 24, 5:47*pm, "DA" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

how the shaping should look.http://www.darkhorseyarns.com/patter...Raglan%20Sleev...

DA

Thanks for trying to enlighten things for me but I'm not sure I
understand... I have already made a couple rows of the raglan and so
far looks good just want to make sure I don't mess it up.

For row 5 I had 123 stitches and ended with 115. I still have 115
after row 6. But now if I follow row 5 exactly the same (as called for
by the patter) I will not have enough stitches to finish the row as I
only have 115 and no longer 123 (number of stitches in row 5
instructions). That is why I thought I had to modify and made an
attempt in my last 'revised row 5'.

Thanks again for any further clarifications.

Catherine

Old May 25th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

wrote:
On May 24, 5:47 pm, "DA" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

You put the dec on the next row directly over the previous one. It might
help to place a piece of yarn or removeable stitch marker around the
stitch that was the result of the decrease, then when you're one st
before it, sl 1, psso and it will be in the same spot. The k1 will be
directly over the previous k1, then you k2tog. It's easier to read your
knitting than to figure out how to adjust the st numbers for the decs.

sue
Old May 25th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_3_]

wrote in message
On May 24, 5:47 pm, "DA" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

You are removing 8 stitches on every right side row, therefore every right
side row will have 8 less stitches than the previous right side row.
Row 5 will have 123 stitches
Row 7 will have 115 stitches
Row 9 will have 107 stitches
Row 11 will have 99 stitches
Row 13 will have 91 stitches and so forth

Instead of repeating the instructions for each row, the pattern assumes that
you would realize the number of stitches in a right side row would be 8 less
than the last right side row.
It would help if you put stitch markers to separate the sections of the
sweater, the first being placed after the k1 ending the front of the
sweater, the second placed after the sleeve stitches ending k1 sl1, psso,
k1. The 3rd at the end of the correct number of stitches for the back
including the decrease, repeat placing markers for the second sleeve and the
front of the sweater.
DA

Old May 25th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_3_]

You put the dec on the next row directly over the previous one. It might
help to place a piece of yarn or removeable stitch marker around the
stitch that was the result of the decrease, then when you're one st before
it, sl 1, psso and it will be in the same spot. The k1 will be directly
over the previous k1, then you k2tog. It's easier to read your knitting
than to figure out how to adjust the st numbers for the decs.

sue

Sue, is my memory serving me right? I seem to remember reading some where
that raglan shaping was done one stitch in from the edge of the knitted
fabric? If I am reading the pattern under discussion correctly, the K1 is
used as a fake seam between the front decrease and the sleeve shaping?
DA

Old May 25th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On May 25, 12:19*am, wrote:
[...]

Here are some basic explanation about Raglan shaping that might help
you . please take a pencil and paper ,,
in order to calculate hpw many st of your general amount will be
decreased we calculate that the neck is 1/3 of half your
circumference ,,, = which means that in order to have a raglan , you
will have to decrease 1/3 off the back /front on each side of this
part , = thus you decrease 2/3 and are left with the middle 1/3 which
will be the neck part.

You are now knitting 4 parts of your sweater in one piece .
your sweater is made up of two half fronts , 2 sleeves and one
back ,,,
as you wrote , by now you knitted
one rectangle that is half front + back + half front . You also
knitted the sleeves and assume you put on your Circular needle the
sleeves between the front and the back ,
So now you knit a half front of which you will decrease 1 st , that
you will decrease 2 st from one sleeve [ you decreased 3 , until now]
knit on and decrease 1 st of one side of the back and after knitting
another one off the other side of the back [ you decreased 5 st until
now ] , Now you decrease 2 st = 1on ech side of the sleeve and 1 more
off the half front all in all you decrease 8 st in one row ,,

A raglan is Trapez form
mirjam
Old May 25th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

/---\
/ \
/ \
I I
I I
back /front of Raglan

usually it isn`t adviced to decrease at edges , since here you dont
have a `real` edge in the raglan it is adviced to leave 1 st at both
`edges` which makes for 2 st betwen the t decreases ,,
mirjam
Old May 25th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

DA wrote:

You put the dec on the next row directly over the previous one. It
might help to place a piece of yarn or removeable stitch marker around
the stitch that was the result of the decrease, then when you're one
st before it, sl 1, psso and it will be in the same spot. The k1 will
be directly over the previous k1, then you k2tog. It's easier to read
your knitting than to figure out how to adjust the st numbers for the
decs.

sue

Sue, is my memory serving me right? I seem to remember reading some
where that raglan shaping was done one stitch in from the edge of the
knitted fabric? If I am reading the pattern under discussion correctly,
the K1 is used as a fake seam between the front decrease and the sleeve
shaping?

There's no edge, this is a seamless raglan, and they sometimes have the
decs next to each other, with 1 st between or sometimes 2 sts between.
The knit 1 would be in the same place as the seam.

sue
Old May 26th 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On May 25, 10:12*am, suzee wrote:
DA wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone for all your help and clarifications. I did as Sue
suggested and as explained by mirjam and both work out to the same so
I think I understand.
I have completed rows 7 and 8 and will move on to the next one (which
is detailed out in the pattern )

I tell you for a new knitter getting through patterns is almost like
learning a new language...

Thanks again.
Catherine