Ah-ha moment on Pfaff and machine applique

Old July 11th 03, 03:06 AM
Jennifer Hepworth

Hi Loren, I double checked and the purl zig zag stitch is #16 - I like
it because changing the width only alters one side of the stitch so you
can butt the inside edge of the right fork of the open toed foot up to
the applique edge and any width changes only go onto the applique -
you'll see the difference when you try it - I have also found that
because of the way that the stitch is formed, it hasn't been necessary
to use a stabilizer!
Jennifer in Ottawa
----
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Fri, Jul 11, 2003, 1:04am
(EDT+4) From: (Loren=A0in=A0Seattle)
Thanks, I have the same machine so I will try to figure out which is the
purl zigzag. Do you know the stitch number off hand?
Loren in Seattle
"Jennifer Hepworth" wrote in message
... Hi
Loren, I also sew with a Pfaff, mine is a 7550 model. While you are
learning 'new' things about your machine, I'd like to suggest that you
try using the purl zig zag stitch for applique work. I rarely use the
regular zig zag stitch anymore for - you'll find the purl stitich listed
with the overlock stitches. Jennifer in Ottawa
---------
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Thu, Jul 10, 2003, 3:20am
(EDT+4) From:
(Loren in Seattle) I have a
Pfaff machine and I adore the integrated dual feed. Usually. Today,
after weeks of getting very frustrated doing some machine appliqu=E9, I
realized that it is much, much easier with the dual feed foot up. Much.
Too bad I figured this out near the end of the project. I always put the
dual feed up when I free motion quilt, so I don't know why I didn't
think of it when doing appliqu=E9. I guess it was because I wasn't
lowering the feed dogs and using a regular zig-zag foot. Now I know.
The other tip that has saved my life was from Diana in Dallas (thanks
Diana). Cheap typing paper for stabilizer. Off to finish this project,
now I am finally looking forward to it.
--
Loren in Seattle
--------

Old July 11th 03, 03:38 AM
Laurie G.

I have a 7530. I looked in my big owners manual and couldn't find the
purl zigzag. Could it be another name?

Laurie G.

Megan Vest wrote:
If you have the 7550, I know there is an Owner's Manual available for that
machine. You would just need to have your Pfaff dealer order it for you.
They are so helpful.
Megan

"Loren in Seattle" wrote in message

Thanks, I have the same machine so I will try to figure out which is the
purl zigzag. Do you know the stitch number off hand?

Loren in Seattle

"Jennifer Hepworth" wrote in message
Hi Loren, I also sew with a Pfaff, mine is a 7550 model. While you are
learning 'new' things about your machine, I'd like to suggest that you
try using the purl zig zag stitch for applique work. I rarely use the
regular zig zag stitch anymore for - you'll find the purl stitich
listed with the overlock stitches. Jennifer in Ottawa
---------
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Thu, Jul 10, 2003, 3:20am
(EDT+4) From: (Loren in Seattle)
I have a Pfaff machine and I adore the integrated dual feed. Usually.
Today, after weeks of getting very frustrated doing some machine
appliqué, I realized that it is much, much easier with the dual feed
foot up. Much. Too bad I figured this out near the end of the project.
I always put the dual feed up when I free motion quilt, so I don't know
why I didn't think of it when doing appliqué. I guess it was because I

Old July 11th 03, 09:20 AM
Laurie G.

Thanks, Jennifer! I will check again. Does your 7550 have the design
thingy? I didn't get it with mine and thought I probably would never
need it.

Laurie G.

Jennifer Hepworth wrote:
Hi Laurie - I checked the listing in my owner's manual and it is there
as 'purl' stitch. Go to the page in your manual where there is a chart
with the stitches diagrammed and explained. I know that the stitch is
in the 7530 because when I traded up, I made sure the stitch was 'going'
too! It looks something like l/l/l/l/l/ rather thanVVVVVVV in the
diagrams.
Jennifer in Ottawa
------
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Fri, Jul 11, 2003, 2:38am
(EDT+4) From: (Laurie G.)
Megan Vest wrote:
[...]
after weeks of getting very frustrated doing some machine appliqué, I
realized that it is much, much easier with the dual feed foot up. Much.
Too bad I figured this out near the end of the project. I always put the
dual feed up when I free motion quilt, so I don't know why I didn't
think of it when doing appliqué. I guess it was because I wasn't

Old July 11th 03, 12:59 PM
Jennifer Hepworth

Hi Laurie, I do have the designer unit which I will periodically take
out to play with. The advantage of the 7550's is that the line drawing
appears on the screen so the paper grid really isn't necessary. I have
drawn lots of variations and new stitches into the memory including a
serpentine, beading, hand-quilting, buttonhole variations, scribbles,
etc.
Jennifer in Ottawa
----------

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Fri, Jul 11, 2003, 8:20am
(EDT+4) From: (Laurie=A0G.)
Thanks, Jennifer! I will check again. Does your 7550 have the design
thingy? I didn't get it with mine and thought I probably would never
need it.
Laurie G.
Jennifer Hepworth wrote:
=A0=A0Hi Laurie - I checked the listing in my owner's manual and it is
there as 'purl' stitch. Go to the page in your manual where there is a
chart with the stitches diagrammed and explained. I know that the stitch
is in the 7530 because when I traded up, I made sure the stitch was
'going' too! It looks something like l/l/l/l/l/ =A0 rather thanVVVVVVV
in the diagrams.
Jennifer in Ottawa
------

http://interactive.rogers.com/jennell/Quiltedprojects
http://interactive.rogers.com/jennell/photoalbum

Old July 13th 03, 04:40 AM
Dr. Quilter

even if it is literal, it is poor translation. it should read correctly
in the 'destination' language, independently of how it was
written/organized in the original. i think.

Pauline O'Connell wrote:
You bring up something that DH & I were discussing recently. When a non
native English speaking person translates from their native language to
English - sometimes it comes out funny - to us. Is it only funny to us? Or
are they speaking in a manner that they would in their native country? If
my question is unclear, here's an example. When I was in France, our hotel
room had a sign to hang from your door - it was so cute (to me) that I
brought it home. In French, it says - Veuileez faire briller mes
chaussures. In English, it says - Please let my shoes shine. Is it a poor
translation or a literal translation? (Does my question make any sense??)

Pauline

"Polly Esther" wrote in message

I would be delighted to volunteer. Really happy to. If the nice people who
translate manuals to English would like an idiot to proof-read their
instructions for clarity, they could just send them to me.
For years I have been clueless about VCR operation. Sat down yesterday
and read the instructions several times. Was even more confused. The
translation wanders quite a lot between Bagahlawaylia or whatever it was
written in and sentences that I understand.
Probably that's why when the nice computer man suggests that I read my
manual, I wonder why I would try that again. Wouldn't know what I had read
if I did read it. One of my SM manuals was translated by someone who had
never threaded a needle and has a really mean streak. I'm sure of it.
Polly

Loren in Seattle wrote in message

I hate the book for my machine. It is a translation to English. The
directions for sewing buttons is listed in the index under the letter

'S'

for "sewing on buttons." Also the book doesn't really go into great

detail

on things for quilting. Might help if I took the advanced class on the
machine, but it just didn't seem a priority. Learn more from this group
than any class.

Loren in Seattle

"taria" wrote in message

Sorry you had such a tough time Loren. Glad you are figuring
out what works for you. One of the things I love most about
my Bernina is the satin stitch it makes. The trick with my
machine is threading the bobbin thread through the hole in
the bobbin case arm. Gives a tad tighter tension so the stitching
pulls to the underside a bit. Makes for a smooth stitch.
Those classes with helped a lot when I got my machine.
Reading the book never hurts but that seems to be
my last resort Finished project woo-hoo!!
Taria

Loren in Seattle wrote:

I have a Pfaff machine and I adore the integrated dual feed.

Usually.

Today, after weeks of getting very frustrated doing some machine

appliqué, I

realized that it is much, much easier with the dual feed foot up.

Much.

Too bad I figured this out near the end of the project.

I always put the dual feed up when I free motion quilt, so I don't

know

why

I didn't think of it when doing appliqué. I guess it was because I

wasn't

lowering the feed dogs and using a regular zig-zag foot. Now I

know.

The other tip that has saved my life was from Diana in Dallas

(thanks

Diana). Cheap typing paper for stabilizer.

Off to finish this project, now I am finally looking forward to it.
--
Loren in Seattle

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old July 13th 03, 04:01 PM
Nell Reynolds

That reminds me of a Bilingual Education/English as a Second Language
monitoring visit I made to one school district last month. Each student in
required by law to have a Home Language Survey completed and signed by the
parent at registration. The law further requires that it be printed in both
English and Spanish. (Yeah, I know there are other languages than Spanish,
but few people in Texas seem to be aware of that abstruse fact.)

Other documents should (as opposed to must) be supplied in "the home
language." One district was very proud of the expensive translation program
they had bought to translate report cards, student manuals, PTA
announcements, etc. When I talked to the parents, all of whom were literate
in Spanish, they got a weird look on their faces, and said that the words
were Spanish, but the sentences made no sense.

Nell in Austin