For the Newbies: RCTQ Abbvs:

Old July 12th 03, 05:34 AM
Butterfly

Default For the Newbies: RCTQ Abbvs:

Stolen from the Archives to help the Newbies out.
Carolyn no longer has the time to do this
HTH
Butterfly

From: Carolyn &/or Steve
Subject: FAQ: Abbreviations found in this group

For the newbies to this wonderful cyber world, I hope this makes your
journey easier.
There are a few ways to keep this message: print it out, forward it to
yourself, or cut & paste it onto a new message form and e-mail it to
yourself. That will prevent the dreaded "I've lost the original post"
syndrome that has affected us all at one point or another. It will also
ensure that you have a copy on your computer when your ISP does its
housecleaning and clears out all the old posts (something done every 2-4
weeks, depending on the ISP and the NG).

----------------------------------
some general Internet abbreviations:
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
BEG = Big Evil Grin :-}
BTDT = Been There, Done That
BTW = By The Way
FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions
FWIW = For What It's Worth
FYI = For Your Information
G = grin :-)
GMTA = Great Minds Think Alike
HTH = Hope This Helps
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
IMHO = In My Humble/Honest Opinion
IMO = In My Opinion
IMX = In My eXperience
IOW = In Other Words
ISP = Internet Service Provider
KISS = Keep It Simple Sweetie (although I've heard different esses)
LOL = Laughing Out Loud :-D
NAYY = Not Affiliated, Yadda Yadda...
NG = NewsGroup
OTOH = On The Other Hand
PIP/PIMP = Peeing In (My) Pants
RFI = Request For Information
ROFL = Rolling On Floor, Laughing
ROFLMAO = Rolling on Floor, Laughing My Asterisks Off
TIA = Thanks In Advance
TTFN = Ta Ta For Now
TTYL = Talk To You Later
VBG = Very Big Grin :-)
VBEG = Very Big Evil Grin :-}
WRT = With Regard To
Y2K = Year 2000 (2K in computer-speak)
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

emoticons: combinations of punctuation marks (and occasional capital
letters), that, when viewed sideways, make little smiley, frowny, winking,
disgusted (and so on) faces.

other abbreviations found in this group:
BEX = Book Enhancement eXperience (variation on S.E.X.)
BF = Boy Friend
BFPH = Big Fat Poopy Head (because this is a G-rated newsgroup)
BOM = Block Of the Month
BQ = Baby Quilt (crib-sized or going to a baby)
CMQ = Commercially Machine Quilted
COC = Cream on Cream (Fabric print)
CQ = Crazy Quilt (quilting pattern/technique)
CW = Cathedral Window (pattern)
D-rivatives: DH-DD-DS-DW = (Dear/Darling/Darn/D**n)
Husband-Daughter-Son-Wife
DIL = Daughter In Law
DWR = Double Wedding Ring (pattern)
EPP = English Paper Piecing (piecing technique)
FIFI = Find It, Finish It
FPP = Foundation Paper Piecing (piecing technique, sometimes called PFP)
FQ = Fat Quarter (1/4 yd of fabric, cut 18" X 22")
FS = For Sale (more appropriate in rec.crafts.marketplace)
FW = Feather Weight (model of Singer sewing machine)
GFG = Grandmother's Flower Garden (pattern)
HMQ = Home Machine Quilted
HST = Half-Square Triangle
ISO = In Search Of
LQS = Local Quilt Store/Shop
LTP = Long Term Project
MA = Machine Appliqué
MEQ = Mind's Eye Quilt (existing only in one's imagination, so far)
MFP = Mini Foundation Pattern
MIL = Mother In Law
MLB = Major League Baseball (a yearly fabric swap)
MPP = Machine Paper Piecing (piecing technique)
MQ = Millennium Quilt
MSM = My Sainted Mother
NQ/NQR = Non-Quilting / Not Quilting Related
OT = Off Topic
PIMP = Peeing In My Pants! (Warning to read the following message at your
own risk)
PITA = Pain In The Asterisks
PP = Paper Piecing (sub-categories: PFP = Paper Foundation Piecing; PPP =
Precision Paper Piecing)
QI = Quilt Inspector (4-legged kind)
QIAD = "Quilt In A Day" (TV show and technique by Eleanor Burns)
QIP = Quilt In Progress
QNM = "Quilters' Newsletter Magazine" (Lehman Publishing)
QOOT = Queen Of Off Topics (Sarah)
QP = Quilt Police (no such thing)
RCTQ = rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
RR = Round Robin (block exchange)
SA = Seam Allowance
SABLE = Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy
SEX = Stash Enhancement eXperience
SIL = Son In Law
SITD = Stitch In The Ditch (quilting technique)
SM = Sewing Machine
SNS = Stack 'N' Stash (pattern/cutting technique)
SNW = Stack 'N' Whack (pattern/cutting technique/book)
SO = Significant Other
SSS = Secret Sewing Sister
TATW = Trip Around The World (pattern)
TDB = That D*mn Banner (the "official" banner of RCTQ, under which we
meet at quilt shows large and small. It travels the globe, bringing us
together.)
TOL = Top Of the Line
TSWLTH = The Store We Love To Hate ("JoAnn's Fabrics")
TTYL = Talk To You Later
UFO = UnFinished Object
USO = UnStarted Object
VSC = Vertical Surface Cover (for those who just can't bring themselves
to say "wallhanging")
W&N = Warm & Natural (a brand of quilt batt)
WIP = Work In Progress
WOF = Width Of Fabric
WOW = White On White (fabric print)
WUH = not an abbreviation, just a cyber-stutter for those who have
trouble saying "wuh- wuh- wallhanging!" (see VSC)
WS = Wrong Side (of fabric)
WTB = Want To Buy (more appropriate in rec.crafts.marketplace)

Some helpful Web sites:
http://www.netlingo.com ? Internet abbreviations and dictionary of terms
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/qquil...s/glossary.htm ? general
quilting terms defined