Beaded Cabs

Old September 28th 03, 04:25 AM
EL

Default Beaded Cabs

I just took a class on beading cabochons. It was not, I fear, very well
taught, and left me with a bunch of questions.

Question 1 is about backing. The directions I have always read said to glue
your cab to Lacy's Stiff Stuff. We just glued ours to leather, which was a
bit hard to sew through, then just glued another scrap of leather on top of
that to cover up the stitch lines. This resulted in a fairly thick, fairly
bumpy back since the leather had been wadded up in a bag. I'm assuming
Lacy's Stiff Stuff would have been easier and neater for the first layer,
but I'm also wondering if any non-wover interfacing would do as well?

Question 2 is about making a bale. We peyote'd a bail directly off the top
of the cab, which I didn't much like. I've taken my off, put a picot around
the edge of the whole thing (and peyote'd around much of the back to cover
up most of the bumpy ugly leather). I'm probably going to reinforce the two
top picots and come off them to attach to a necklace. How do you attach a
beaded cab?

Question 3 is about thread. This is the second class I've taken where the
teacher didn't bother to either condition or stretch her thread (Nymo --
sorry, Sooz) before beginning. I am pretty compulsive about conditioning
and stretching. Is this just a matter of preference? Or is there a reason
I go through my stretching and conditioning rituals?

Question 4 is for the Grammar Curmudgeons amongst us: Can I use peyote as a
verb?

Inquiring stitchers want to know ...

Elise

Old September 28th 03, 05:29 AM
Christina Peterson

I'm not a big authority, and mostly I just offer common sense. I don't
really believe in right answers.

1) I've never used Lucy's stiff stuff so I'm not precisely sure what it is.
I've used a stiffer weight of pellon for backing. And I know people who
like to use super suede, which is much easier to go through than leather. I
can't imagine a needle heavy enough to go through leather and still fine
enough for beads.

2) Not sure

3) I don't worry a lot about conditioning my thread. But I only use Nymo
from a spool, and I pull at my thread as I work. Also, I always bring my
thread of choice when I take a class.

4) And yes, you can, grammatically, peyote a cab.

Tina

Old September 28th 03, 07:04 AM
Kandice Seeber

Here's what I have done in the past -
With e6000 glue, attach some fusible interfacing fuse side up onto an index
card. Then glue your cabochon onto the interfacing side of the card. Using
a number 11 or 12 English long beading needle, sew your beads (I use a back
stitch, 4-6 beads at a time, weaving through my work on occasion to secure
it) on around the cabochon (or in whatever design you wish) using
conditioned Nymo or Silamide (I use Thread Heaven to condition). Then take
some Ultrasuede (polyester, very durable, get it at fabric stores) and glue
a piece a little larger than your design to the back of the paper, covering
all stitches.
Then snip the paper/suede backing close to your design, without accidentally
snipping your stitches. (Fingernail clippers work great, getting close to
the design without ruining it.) Then do a picot stitch (or whatever you
prefer) around the edges, catching both the suede and the paper, weaving
through your work to attach all the elements of the design.
This I learned a long time ago in a book, but I can't remember the book.
Hard to describe without pics, but I hope it helps a little!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 28th 03, 08:27 PM
Dr. Sooz

Check out the October/November Beadwork magazine. Page 30. There's cab
instructions there that may help answer some of your questions about backing
materials, etc. HTH!

Question 1 is about backing. The directions I have always read said to glue
your cab to Lacy's Stiff Stuff. We just glued ours to leather, which was a
bit hard to sew through, then just glued another scrap of leather on top of
that to cover up the stitch lines. This resulted in a fairly thick, fairly
bumpy back since the leather had been wadded up in a bag. I'm assuming
Lacy's Stiff Stuff would have been easier and neater for the first layer,
but I'm also wondering if any non-wover interfacing would do as well?

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 28th 03, 09:32 PM
EL

Thanks, Tina -- I shall go forth and peyote without worrying about the
grammar police.

I think I'm going to try some non-woven interfacing I have on hand and see
how it does.

Old September 28th 03, 09:34 PM
EL

The one in Beadwork is attached to a brickstich base, which is kinda neat.

But my real question about backing is whether or not Lacy's Stiff Stuff is
worth ordering, since I can't find it locally and since it seems to be so
highly recommended in most sets of directions I've read.

Elise

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
[...]

"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old September 28th 03, 09:36 PM
EL

I've not heard the index card trick before -- sounds interesting.

I can't run down either ultrasuede or Lacy's Stiff Stuff locally, although
I've got my eye on some ultrasuede scraps on eBay.

Thanks for the tips --

Elise

Old September 29th 03, 01:47 AM
Christina Peterson

Elise, if you bead "around the corner" to the back, the beads will be a
balanced/tight setting for the cab, and it won't matter if the kind of
interfacing is premo or not. The people I know up here are not all that
picky.

Tina

Old September 29th 03, 04:58 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:34:39 -0400, "EL"
wrote:

The one in Beadwork is attached to a brickstich base, which is kinda neat.

But my real question about backing is whether or not Lacy's Stiff Stuff is
worth ordering, since I can't find it locally and since it seems to be so
highly recommended in most sets of directions I've read.

I think it is. It is stiffer than most non-woven interfacings and can
reliably be colored, if you want. You don't really need it just to
bezel a cab, but if you want to bead out around the cab, you will.
Here's some examples:

http://nyahnyah.basicbali.com/heartcab.jpg

http://nyahnyah.basicbali.com/moonrise.jpg

http://nyahnyah.basicbali.com/mothchld.jpg

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale
Old September 29th 03, 05:27 AM
Dr. Sooz

But my real question about backing is whether or not Lacy's Stiff Stuff is
worth ordering, since I can't find it locally and since it seems to be so
highly recommended in most sets of directions I've read.

No. Because -- 1) too expensive, and 2) Pellon interfacing is basically the
same.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

[AD] Beaded Flower Newsletter - September 22 [email protected] Beads 0 September 22nd 03 03:14 PM
[AD] Beaded Flower Newsletter - July 29 Kandice Seeber Beads 0 July 29th 03 02:35 AM
[AD] Beaded Flower Newsletter [email protected] Beads 0 July 14th 03 06:54 PM
Anchoring a beaded handle Lisa C Beads 0 July 10th 03 07:21 PM
Ad: (sorta) art doll face cabs page Mary Tafoya Beads 3 July 8th 03 07:31 PM