OT Pecan pie!!!

Old December 24th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default OT Pecan pie!!!

I had a special request for a pecan pie for tomorrow. Now, I made ONE pecan
pie many, many years ago (Dear Abby's so-called famous recipe) and it was
pecan syrup in a crust when it finished baking. I'm generally a good cook
and was so unhappy about that failure that I never tried making one ever
again. So, today I got out my recipe books and one has you pre-cook the
corn syrup and sugar for 5 min. and then mix in the eggs and bake. The
other recipe says to mix all ingredients and pour into the crust and bake.
I'm leaning towards the pre-cooked recipe.

Comments? This needs to turn out GOOD! (Don't need any more recipes to
confuse me- just the merits of pre-cooked over not pre-cooked, please!)

Leslie & The Furbabies in balmy MO. after a vicious ice storm yesterday!

Old December 24th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Just a warning. After decades of being very successful with pecan pies, I
made pecan syrup last time. Same recipe. Only difference was it smelled
just SO wonderful that it was cut while still hot. Alton Brown says let a
pie, particularly a syrupy or fruit pie 'set' for at least 5 hours. You
have been warned. Polly

Old December 24th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Nope, store-bought won't do in this situation. I need to succeed with this
durn pie! VBG (But thanks for the suggestion- if I fail twice more with
this pie that will be the final, desperation move! Three strikes and
'you're OUT!', ya know?)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 24th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Well, gee, thanks, Polly. I shall heed your warning- BUT... does your
fabulous recipe pre-cook the syrup before baking or not??? ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in Desperation, MO.

Old December 24th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Dec 24, 10:42*am, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
I had a special request for a pecan pie for tomorrow. *Now, I made ONE pecan
pie many, many years ago (Dear Abby's so-called famous recipe) and it was
pecan syrup in a crust when it finished baking. *I'm generally a good cook
and was so unhappy about that failure that I never tried making one ever
again. *So, today I got out my recipe books and one has you pre-cook the
corn syrup and sugar for 5 min. and then mix in the eggs and bake. *The
other recipe says to mix all ingredients and pour into the crust and bake..
I'm leaning towards the pre-cooked recipe.

Comments? *This needs to turn out GOOD! *(Don't need any more recipes to
confuse me- just the merits of pre-cooked over not pre-cooked, please!)

Leslie & The Furbabies in balmy MO. after a vicious ice storm yesterday!

The recipe I use is straight out of the hand-me-down Betty Crocker
cookbook. No pre-cooking. I do have to bake it for longer than the
recipe states. Couldn't tell you by how much though. I usually just
set the timer for the stated recipe requirements, test w/toothpicks
and re-check every 5 min. Got a new oven last year that has a 'speed
bake' feature - sort of convection cooking but not quite and that
seemed to help w/several recipes this year. No one has complained
about the pecan pie yet!

Good luck.

Kim in now soggy tundra-like NJ
Old December 24th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Are you sure you baked it long enough? I probably overbake, but I want
to make sure it's done. I've never made a pecan pie, but I make a "Derby
Pie" that is basically the same as a pecan pie with the addition of a
little bourbon and some chocolate chips. I don't precook and I've never
had any problem with it being runny. Of course, it always has a good
chance to cool as it usually has to travel a couple hours before it is
eaten.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old December 24th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Look for a restaurant in the area that sells pecan pies. They're the
very devil to make turn out right.

Sunny
(for whom Christmas isn't Christmas without yams and Pecan Pie)
Old December 24th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Only pecan pie I ever made was the Abby one. I was forced to make it.
It was not so great IMO but I think pecan pie is a great waste of
pie. I have never ever eaten a piece of pecan pie that I wanted to
finish. That is really out of the ordinary for me! There is no doubt
you can figure it out with all the help here though.
BTW, I did your carmels a tad on the soft side. A touch too soft but
they did wrap and are easy on the crowns. There was a small bit left
and I am thinking about heating it and drizzling it over the apple crumb
pie. Yummo.
Taria

Old December 24th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oops, sorry, Leslie. My recipe is not a pre-cook one. I never know when my
oven will stay at temp and it may be this last one did not cook 'to temp' or
long enough.
It is stove-buying time here but so far as I can tell they don't make
one that I want. I don't want a smooth top, can't have a gas one and don't
want a cheap-o. Looks like the only electric ones made now with rings are
the bottom of the line. I'm not really eager to go to the nearest airbase
and study for 2 years to learn how the controls work on those terribly techy
ones either. (grrrr)
Meanwhile, back to the pie, another of my tricks is to paint the pie
crust with a beaten (just a little) egg white and pre-bake it for 5 minutes.
That usually gives it a sort of varnish finish that prevents gummy. Polly