Ideas for Guild activities??

Old September 24th 04, 01:39 PM
mauvicem

Default Ideas for Guild activities??

Anyoine out there have any good/interesting/fun activities for guild
activities during meeting.... I need a little jump start for our new
president...We've done wool applique, dyeing workshop, demos on foto
transfer,tarpunto.....HMMMMM

Old September 24th 04, 03:14 PM
nbhilyard

Mauvice,
How large is your guild? Some activites work better with smaller numbers.

* First quilt, last quilt: members bring in their oldest and their newest.
Good way to get to know one another.
* Technique demonstration: set up tables where six to eight guild members
show something special--our guild did this in August and had Seminole
piecing, hexagon applique, hand quilting, and a couple of other ideas.
* On-site, one-evening challenge: in advance, distribute FQ of the chosen
fabric. Guild members are to bring 4 FQs that they consider to coordinate
with that fabric.
Several options for the challenge:
a) Put common FQ and the other 4 in a brown paper bag. Each member
gets someone else's bag.
b) Everyone puts their 4 FQs in a pile and then takes 4 FQs other than
those they've put in.
c) As for the actual sewing -- you could pick an easy block for
everyone to do on site; or people could be instructed to bring
their own idea of what block they could do....depends on how much certainty
vs. surprise your members like.
* Rummage sale. Invite guild members to bring their quilting rummage. Each
can have a table, or half a table. Entry fee is an item to use as a door
prize. (I made $54 when our guild did this at the September meeting. My
door prize offering was a box of cone thread spools I'd been given some time
ago, none of which I was ever going to use.)

HTH,

Nann
the northeasternmost quilter in Illinois

Old September 25th 04, 02:01 PM
mauvicem

Thanks Nann..... our guild is about 60 members with 40 regular attending
each month.....we have done most of these at one time or another......except
for techniques tables...I love this one.....
thanks again I will pass on to guild pres......
We also had a instructor come in and teach wool applique with small kits
handed out...but the group is too big to do that now.....
Mauvice

Old September 25th 04, 05:10 PM
Daniel Coen

pick a type of fabric, non-cotton - and have members bring their ideas on
what to do with it. Fleece, pre-quilted fabrics, knits, silky types --- the
list could go on and on...

Old September 25th 04, 11:00 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
One of the most fun times for many of the quilters in our
guild is our annual June Vendor Sale and Dinner.
We have a dozen or so vendors (quilt shops, fabric store,
massage/spa biz, handcrafted jewelry, etc.) who regularly
work our guild show (so we know them) rent a table for the
evening. You'd think these quilters had never seen a
quilt shop! And we are surrounded by quilt shops in the Ft.Worth/Dallas
area. G Anyway, we shop, we eat (potluck, everyone bring
something to share), we have a short biz meeting, show&tell,
vote on a President's Apron (or pillowcase, instructions handed out
at a previous meeting), and then back to the shopping.
The vendors love this, it's different, we feed them, and everyone goes
home happy.
The President's Apron contest was started about 5 yrs. ago;
she issued a challenge w/ a door prize and ribbon going to the top 3
winners (viewer's choice, every attending guild member gets a vote);
those who play bring their finished apron and show it off; that first year's
challenge was to use our guild logo on the apron, somehow, somewhere.
After a couple of years of aprons, a president decided to switch to
pillowcases. Has to be finished. Has to match the president's theme
challenge.
Short projects, fun, and quilty.

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy
" mauvicem" wrote in message
Thanks Nann..... our guild is about 60 members with 40 regular attending
each month.....we have done most of these at one time or
another......except
for techniques tables...I love this one.....
thanks again I will pass on to guild pres......
We also had a instructor come in and teach wool applique with small kits
handed out...but the group is too big to do that now.....
Mauvice

*snipped*

Old September 26th 04, 07:05 PM
Pati Cook

One Winter Holiday party we did a snippets type exercise. Can be done for
larger groups. Have fabrics ready with fusible web on back. We did a small
wreath. So had lots of different greens, some with ornaments on it, some reds or
leaf prints, and so on. People cut out shapes to make a wreath on a small
background piece (we used muslin, about (9" square). Have pressing stations set
up for people to press when they are ready. DIdn't do any actual sewing for
this, but that could be explained. (I think we had some batting and backing and
Steam-a-Seam 2 strips to do a turn the back over the front type of binding.

We are going to have a meeting to demonstrate and work on different quick
projects to have to sell when we have our raffle quilt up to sell tickets and
such. Also for a booth when we have the opening of our (very small) quilt
show. (The opening weekend we are also going to have a small "country market"
with various vendors and such. The show is at a historic site, Victorian era
citrus ranch, where the packing shed has been converted to an art gallery. The
quilt show is one of the exhibits from early January through the first part of
March. We also have a small quilt auction and speaker in Feb. )

Pati, in Phx

Old September 26th 04, 11:30 PM
Susan Laity Price

We played a game which was a good way to get to know one another
better. They divided us into groups of five (friends couldn't be
together). They handed us a list with points for each item. It was a
treasure hunt using only the stuff in our purses. Scores were tallied
by team.

Some of the items on the list:
5 points for each quilt store punch card
2 points for each credit card
5 points for each fabric sample
1 point for each family photo
5 points for needle and thread
5 points for scissors
5 points for thimble
You get the idea. Some of the items were standard purse stuff and some
were things only a quilter would carry. Quilter stuff was worth more
points. Of course this would work only if it were a total surprise.

Susan

Old September 27th 04, 01:40 AM
Denise Jameson

The techniques tables is by far the favourite activity we do every
year. EVERYONE loves that meeting. We usually choose four topics and
a teachers for each table, and divide everyone into four groups.
After 10-15 mins. of demo(ing) the groups all change. That way the
teacher can stay at the same table with all her supplies etc. We have
shown things like free motion quilting, folded flowers, bias binding,
marking on fabric, paper piecing, machine applique, mitered corners,
english paper piecing, etc. These get repeated of course after a
number of years, but there are always some newbies and those who want
refresh their techniques.

Denise in Ontario, Canada