Vanilla Ice vs MC Hammer

Old June 18th 08, 08:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Default Vanilla Ice vs MC Hammer

I wonder what would happen if we suddenly cross-posted a whole heap of
stuff about the relative merits of holbein stitch and backstitch.
Whether it's better to stitch on aida or evenweave. Whether DMC or
Anchor has the superior colour range, etc. D'you think they'd cope with
our doggerel as well as we have with theirs?

Just a thought...

(NB. They're playing a Bach Cello Concerto on ABCFM at the moment and I
tell you solomonly, it far outstrips anything Mr Ice or Mr Hammer could
possibly offer in terms of enrichment or spiritual uplift!)

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old June 18th 08, 11:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jun 18, 10:27*am, Trish Brown wrote:
I wonder what would happen if we suddenly cross-posted a whole heap of
stuff about the relative merits of holbein stitch and backstitch.
Whether it's better to stitch on aida or evenweave. Whether DMC or
Anchor has the superior colour range, etc. *D'you think they'd cope with
our doggerel as well as we have with theirs?

Just a thought...

(NB. They're playing a Bach Cello Concerto on ABCFM at the moment and I
tell you solomonly, it far outstrips anything Mr Ice or Mr Hammer could
possibly offer in terms of enrichment or spiritual uplift!)

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

You better look up the latin meaning of that flavour
mirjam
Old June 18th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Trish Brown wrote:

I wonder what would happen if we suddenly cross-posted a whole heap of
stuff about the relative merits of holbein stitch and backstitch.

AMEN. You start!

(NB. They're playing a Bach Cello Concerto on ABCFM at the moment and I
tell you solomonly, it far outstrips anything Mr Ice or Mr Hammer could
possibly offer in terms of enrichment or spiritual uplift!)

Amen again.

Hmmmmmmm, perhaps we should also discuss the relative merits of Bach vs.
Buxtehude?

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 5/21/08 - Helping the Hummers

WIP: Christmas Music Bellpull, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old June 18th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

Trish Brown wrote:
I wonder what would happen if we suddenly cross-posted a whole heap of
stuff about the relative merits of holbein stitch and backstitch.
Whether it's better to stitch on aida or evenweave. Whether DMC or
Anchor has the superior colour range, etc. D'you think they'd cope with
our doggerel as well as we have with theirs?

Just a thought...

(NB. They're playing a Bach Cello Concerto on ABCFM at the moment and I
tell you solomonly, it far outstrips anything Mr Ice or Mr Hammer could
possibly offer in terms of enrichment or spiritual uplift!)

Have just returned from an afternoon concert by the Oxford Singers (part
of the St Magnus Festival) which was really a rehearsal for their main
concerts later this week. Listening to a 25-strong choir singing Byrd,
Purcell, Buxtehude and JS Bach in the wonderful acoustics of our kirk
was quite an uplifting experience.
Bruce
Old June 18th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Johnno

On the bus this morning there was a young fellow with an iPod. He was
sitting several metres away, but I could clearly hear it. That
relentless bash bash 4/4 rhythm was like some kind of torture. What
it was doing to his brain, let alone his ears, I hate to imagine.

So give me Bach any time. Not so much into Buxtehude, but I like him
too. Mind you, I can't get into Bach's vocal music, so the masses and
cantatas are a dead loss to me, but all his other stuff I enjoy. In
fact I have the complete Bach organ works, as well as pretty much all
of his other manual keyboard music, on my iPod. I felt like getting
mine out this morning and competing with that poor rock fan.

Johnno
Old June 19th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Johnno

Yes you're right, it's the volume that does the damage. I always say
to students using iPods that if I can hear it then it's doing them
damage. Not that they believe anything could possibly ever happen to
them.

I'm chuckling at the mental image of all those tattoos on saggy arms!

Johnno

Old June 19th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lucretia borgia wrote:

Going to be a terrible
thing for the generation that believes it is never going to grow old,
all those tattoos combined with hearing aids lolololol

You forgot the piercings. I suppose we could hang their MedicAlert tag
from the nose ring.

Old June 19th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
BeverlyB

There is a young (21 or 22 years old) German named Felix Hell who has played
all the Bach organ works in couple of marathon sessions. I did not get a
chance to hear him at any of those sessions but he currently teaches organ
at the Sunderman Conservatory at Gettysburg College so we have heard him
playing Bach and other composers quite often. I know he travels a lot
although most of his concerts are in the US or Germany but if you ever get a
chance to hear him it is well worth it to make the effort to do so.
Beverly B

Old June 19th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney) wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:
[...]

OH YUM! What a lovely way to spend an afternoon! Maintain the uplift!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia