Binding Tape to Join Batting?

Old November 30th 05, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Binding Tape to Join Batting?

Just Judy wrote:

Hi again,

I have another question. Surprise, surprise.

I am now ready to join the three layers of the quilt and a
**genius neuron fired off in my cluttered brain, and I thought I'd run
the idea by you, the experts.

Would a piece of binding, or even a 1" wide strip of
lightweight, but sturdy, fabric serve as a good way to join the two
pieces of what is now 55" wide batting in order to form the one
smooth-as-possible seam for those two pieces?

If my question is unclear, please advise. I've set up a
webshots' page (got the idea from ya'll) and I can upload a picture to
better explain my idea.

I'm off for some holiday shopping now, but I'll return looking
for your pearls of wisdom. g

Thanks to all,

It is possible to do that. The thing to consider is that while you
would not see that fabric after the quilt is made, you might feel it.
At that point in the project it would be waaaay too late to undo it so
you need to think about that now.

When I join batting, I just place the two pieces next to each other
and sew them together (by hand) with the intention of keeping them
next to and not on top of each other. This works fairly well.

You may be making this more complicated than necessary....

Mary
Old December 1st 05, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Judy darlin', if you're a real true-blue nitpicker, what you need to do is
carefully peel each edge of your batting into 2 equal layers (easier if
using a bonded batting). Then trim exactly one inch off the bottom layer on
one side and the top layer on the other side. Then carefully overlap the
remaining edges (flanges?) and baste together with a running stitch in a
single thread. This join is virtually undetectable in the finished quilt.
(Make sure your quilting design criss-crosses the joined area.) You could
probably even use basting spray to hold the edges together.
I actually tried this once.
Roberta in D

"Just Judy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:06:47 GMT, Mary in Rock Island IL
wrote:

When I join batting, I just place the two pieces next to each other
and sew them together (by hand) with the intention of keeping them
next to and not on top of each other. This works fairly well.

You may be making this more complicated than necessary....

Thanks, Mary, you may have already figured me out. g

--
Judy~
http://www.frugalsites.net/911/sept11.html