Portable Sewing Table

Old July 10th 03, 05:33 PM
Lawana

Default Portable Sewing Table

My husband purchased a portable sewing table for me out of a quilting
catalog that I received in the mail. It is made to fold down and has four
drawers. It is made out of partical board (this info was not included in
description) and the screws will not stay in. We have tried different screws
but the head of the screw keeps it from folding. I am writing in hopes that
someone might have an idea how to correct this problem with the screws. We
have contacted the company for a refund but they will not refund return
shipping and it will cost around $60.00 to ship it back. We paid a little
over $160.00 and don't feel that it is worth the return shipping.

Old July 10th 03, 06:58 PM
TerriLee in WA

Lawana wrote:

My husband purchased a portable sewing table for me out of a quilting
catalog that I received in the mail. It is made to fold down and has four
drawers. It is made out of partical board (this info was not included in
description) and the screws will not stay in. We have tried different screws
but the head of the screw keeps it from folding. I am writing in hopes that
someone might have an idea how to correct this problem with the screws. We
have contacted the company for a refund but they will not refund return
shipping and it will cost around $60.00 to ship it back. We paid a little
over $160.00 and don't feel that it is worth the return shipping.

Try taking the screws out, applying liquid carpenter's glue and
replacing. Voila! When the glue dries, the screws stay stuck.
--
TerriLee Bishop
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
Old July 10th 03, 07:38 PM
Nana2B

Did you pay with your credit card? Try calling them and see if they can
help. There is also a product I used when the screws to a door hinge
loosened. Thin metal strips that you put into the holes. Then use a really
good glue (like weldbond) Put is together slowly and let each piece dry
well. Good Luck to you, Nana

Old July 10th 03, 07:53 PM
Diana Curtis

Is it that the screws have come loose inside their hole? If so, a neat trick
I learned that fixes hardboard as well as "real" wood. Mix a bit of fine
sawdust with a bit of wood glue and push it into the hole till the hole is
packed tight. Then, when its completely dry drill a pilot hole slightly
smaller than the screw size and rescrew the screw in place.
HTH
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old July 10th 03, 09:03 PM
Lili

Diana Curtis wrote:
Is it that the screws have come loose inside their hole? If so, a
neat trick I learned that fixes hardboard as well as "real" wood. Mix
a bit of fine sawdust with a bit of wood glue and push it into the
hole till the hole is packed tight. Then, when its completely dry
drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than the screw size and rescrew
the screw in place.
HTH
Diana

I sort of do the same thing except I use toothpicks that I have dipped in
white glue. Jam it into the hole until it is full and allow to dry. Works
great.

---

Old July 10th 03, 10:09 PM
Gerry Leath

If the screw heads are not allowing the table to fold, in addition to using
one of the other tips, you might think about countersinking the screw head
so it is level with the wood. If you need more information regarding this,
email me.

Gail

Old July 11th 03, 02:52 AM
Nurse Ratched

DH, who is a woodworker, says it's hard to offer you a definitive solution
without seeing the actual holes. BUT.....he offers this suggestion: Squirt
some carpenter's glue into the hole. Stuff toothpicks into it until it's full.
Let the mess dry. Cut off the excess toothpick ends with a razor blade or
utility knife. Put the screws back in.

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
We'll all get back to normal if we put our nation first,
But the trouble with "normal" is, it always gets worse. ~Bruce Cockburn
Old July 11th 03, 12:00 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

Wow, I am so gald I read this thread......I have a number of items with
overgrown holes.......

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA