Cool chain that looks like a spring or very skinny, tight, slinky

Old July 1st 03, 03:30 AM
BeckiBead

Default Cool chain that looks like a spring or very skinny, tight, slinky

I thought the guitar string idea was brillant and the Epilady cracked me up,
LOL. Thanks to Diane for providing the real thing!

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Old July 1st 03, 01:52 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

Thanks for that idea. I'll use them that way and be sure to use cutters
other than my Lundstroms since I'm not sure of the metal.

Susan W

"Diane Villano" wrote in message
Susan,
Oh, good, finally something I can contribute!

In a fit of insanity, I purchased necklace and bracelet coiled wire from
Fire Mountain Gems' catalog. (What can I say, I was "seduced by color".
That happens a lot in my life.) I just did a search on their web site for
"coil" and don't ya know, on page 11 (of 11), I found the coiled wire for
rings: Order # WE4015FN, bracelet: Order # WE4013FN, neck coils: Order #
WE4016FN.

The problem I had with the wire coils is that sometimes the catch worked,
sometimes it didn't. The basic idea is that one end of the coil is

smaller
and screws into the larger end. So, off I went to the LBS and bought cord
endings to glue on and attach a real necklace clasp to. Then my DH, Mr.
Mechanical, pointed out that if a spring gets caught on something and,

let's
say, gets sprung, it never returns to its original shape. For that

reason,
I can't use them for any finished jewelry to sell. However, small

sections
of it can be cut with wire cutters and embedded in polymer clay or used as
small individual beads.

HTH,
Diane Villano

"Steve & Susan Wright" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Rings and Things did carry those in several colors. I have a set of
bracelets from them. The disadvantage is that they act just like an

Epilady
if anyone remembers those horrid things. It yanks the hair out by the

root.

The chains are tightly coiled wire spring like and once joined you

cannot
see the joint. They were designed to be make your own style for large

hole
beads. i don't have the catalog handy but try looking under neck rings,

not
chains. I think they were the niobium(sp?).

Susan W

"CLP" wrote in message
Has anyone seen this kind of stuff? It's used as a chain for necklaces

and
bracelets. I don't know what it's made of, but it is smaller in

diameter
than the springs inside old ball point pens and much tighter. This

stuff
has
a very cool industrial look. I have looked and looked, but can't find

source. Maybe my searches of "spring chain", "steel necklace", "metal

spring
* chain" is not what I should be typing.

Any help is gratefully accepted, thanks.

Live and be well,
Christy

Old July 5th 03, 03:50 AM
Mary Shafer

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:42:28 GMT, "CLP" wrote:

Well, thanks for trying... None of these are it. All I know is that whatever
is "in fashion" in Europe seems to hit here a year or so later. I've watched
it happen time after time. I just saw all these spring-looking necklaces on
people, in the stores and boutiques over there, and I thought maybe once -
just once- it would be lovely to be ahead of the curve and be able to make
something that would sell like hotcakes !!!! Dontcha think? Wouldn't that be
nice to know in advance what people are going to want - or is that just my
evil "corporate" background still hanging on trying to pollute the "free"
me? (In my defense, if I can make a good go at what I Want to be doing,
which is creating, I won't have to go BACK to being three piece suited
corporate...)

I bought a bunch of spring (wound metal) necklaces and bracelets from
FMG a few years ago. Anodized aluminum, maybe 2 mm diameter,
flexible?

I also got beads and spindles made of wound wire that fit onto these.
They could be stretched for a different, less compact look.

Mary

"Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN

Old July 5th 03, 06:01 AM
Mary Shafer

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:43:33 GMT, "CLP" wrote:

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message

I bought a bunch of spring (wound metal) necklaces and bracelets from
FMG a few years ago. Anodized aluminum, maybe 2 mm diameter,
flexible?

I also got beads and spindles made of wound wire that fit onto these.
They could be stretched for a different, less compact look.

Thanks, Mary, I'll check that out. How did they work for you?

Just fine, but stacks of them aren't stylish any more, so I've been
wearing the necklaces with one (or three or five or 2N+1) beads with
biggish holes. I still stack the bracelets up, with lots of the
little wire beads, though.

Has everyone noticed that the stretch crystal bracelets are passe'
now? Pity, because they were so easy to make.

I don't see many omega chains and slides around, either.