Finishing a piece...longer than I intended...

Old March 17th 04, 05:09 PM
Arleen

Default Finishing a piece...longer than I intended...

I was reading a post on down the line about making jewelry to sell, and the
part about the findings and workmanship makes so much sense. I don't want to
sell my items, but the ones I give as gifts I want to last and last...I am
having trouble with the crimping beads, but I think my crimping tool is
cheap, and maybe doesn't work as it could...getting to the point here...how
do you tuck the end of the beading wire back through more than one bead? I
can usually use two silver beads, crimp, then one more silver bead after the
crimp. I can maneuver the wire back through the crimp and maybe one bead,
but never more as it gets too tight. Any suggestions, what works for you,
etc??? Thanks in advance,
Arleen

Old March 17th 04, 06:02 PM
Lee S. Billings

In article ,
says...

I was reading a post on down the line about making jewelry to sell, and the
part about the findings and workmanship makes so much sense. I don't want to
sell my items, but the ones I give as gifts I want to last and last...I am
having trouble with the crimping beads, but I think my crimping tool is
cheap, and maybe doesn't work as it could...getting to the point here...how
do you tuck the end of the beading wire back through more than one bead? I
can usually use two silver beads, crimp, then one more silver bead after the
crimp. I can maneuver the wire back through the crimp and maybe one bead,
but never more as it gets too tight. Any suggestions, what works for you,
etc??? Thanks in advance,

Two questions: what kind of beads are you using, and what weight of beading
wire? Pearls usually have very small holes, and anything over about .012" wire
just won't go thru them twice. Some gemstone beads (especially 4mm) may have
the same problem. Glass beads and larger gemstone beads will generally take 2
passes of .018" wire without trouble.

The only other thing I can think of is, how long a "tail" of wire are you
leaving to work with? I generally want at least 6" on the end to play with --
less than that, and I start having trouble maneuvering the wire. If you can
pull the end beads a little bit away from the rest, you may find it easier to
get the wire back thru; then you can fiddle them back down tight.

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat

Old March 17th 04, 08:27 PM
Dr. Sooz

Arleen, are you using sterling silver crimps? The base metal crimps are
worthless.
~~
Sooz
-------