Happiness is

Old October 17th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Continents, etc. was Happiness is

Tia Mary ,
i have tought about it at night and can explain it a bit different ,

is aware that the majority of people who have immigrated to Israel

have
done so because they are of the Jewish faith.

Or belong to the Jewish TRIBE , there are many Secular Jews, religious
Jews and various levels of Traditional Jews .. Maybe it will more
clear to say the Jewish Culture And heritage.
There are many prayers and songs that are Common to all groups .
During generations in Diaspora , people took care to teach their
children Hebrew prayers ,, And to marry only within the `Tribe`,,,

*Which brings up one of my
pet peeves -- people who think that nationality of the people of Israel
is Jewish and not Israeli.

Nationality is mostly [but not always] connected to a territory ,
In Israel we also have Israeli ... Christians Arabs, and Muslims
Arabs, and christians from other countries /nationalities. Bahaay
Druz, Cherkesch , Armenians ,Minorities. but the biggest number are
Jewish.
*Jewish is a religion, NOT a nationality.
Israeli is a nationality, NOT a religion.

You are correct here.
mirjam
Old October 17th 08, 11:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/16/08 7:35 PM, in article ,
"Trish Brown" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Oh dear, do I label myself a geek if I admit having had a "Re-Unite
Gondwanaland" t-shirt?

I had one too! Thought it was pretty spiffy, I did! ;-D

Had one with Maxwell's Equations and "Let there be Light"

Cheryl

Old October 17th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Lucille wrote:
Dr. Brat wrote:

Some people would argue that Jewish is both a religion AND a nationality.

Elizabeth

I know but I'd be hard pressed to figure out what geographical nation
those folks live in! Like I said, one of my pet peeves so I don't discuss
it with anyone it too strenuously. CiaoMeow ^;;^
.snipped........

What does that mean????

VBS -- it's a semantics thing. British people are from Great
Britain, Chinese people from China, Canadian people from Canada,
American people from America, French people from France -- all nations
of the world you can find on a map. There is no place or nation or
country to be found on a map with the name "Jew" so that people from
that nation would be called Jewish. There is a religion that is called
Jewish and since biblical times, the people of the Jewish faith have
told the world that their country, their nation, is Israel -- whether it
was on a map or not. Thousands of years of tradition and habitation go
a long way towards legitimizing a nation whether it is found on a map or
not.
Like I said, a semantics thing and one of my pet peeves -- like
people saying that someone from Italy are EYEtalian. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old October 17th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Dr. Brat wrote:
They live in diaspora as do the Roma. A people doesn't have to have a
geographic location to be a nation, although most do have such a location.

Elizabeth

True, just like "the nation of Islam". Those people all have a
"cultural" nation. If asked what nationality they are, they will
usually say, Russia, Syria, England, China -- or at least the Jews and
Islamics will. I don't think the Roma really have any affiliation with
an established nation or country that could be found on a map. HMMMM, I
don't know a lot about the Roma -- for those who don't know, these are
people commonly refered to as Gypsies but this is considered to be a
pejorative term by them. A question -- do the Roma have their own
established faith like the Jews and Islamics do? I'm not talking about
a culturally specific form of one or more "traditional" religions.

Old October 17th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/16/08 7:35 PM, in article ,
"Trish Brown" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Oh dear, do I label myself a geek if I admit having had a "Re-Unite
Gondwanaland" t-shirt?

I had one too! Thought it was pretty spiffy, I did! ;-D

Had one with Maxwell's Equations and "Let there be Light"

Cheryl

Or the one for musicians with a picture of Schwarzenegger in a baroque
wig. The caption said. "I'll be Bach"

MargW
Old October 17th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Tia Mary wrote:

VBS -- it's a semantics thing. British people are from Great Britain,
Chinese people from China, Canadian people from Canada, American people
from America, French people from France -- all nations of the world you
can find on a map.

If you're going to get picky about it, these are not nations but rather
a list of states and their citizens. Great Britain includes Welsh and
Scotts people, for example, even though they are all citizens of the UK.
France includes Basque, Bretons, Alsatians, etc, even though they all
have French citizenship. The situation is much more complex than you
have portrayed it here with the lines between ethnic groups and nations
being very hard, sometimes, to distinguish.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old October 17th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/17/08 7:53 AM, in article , "MargW"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/16/08 7:35 PM, in article ,
"Trish Brown" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Oh dear, do I label myself a geek if I admit having had a "Re-Unite
Gondwanaland" t-shirt?

I had one too! Thought it was pretty spiffy, I did! ;-D

Had one with Maxwell's Equations and "Let there be Light"

Cheryl

Or the one for musicians with a picture of Schwarzenegger in a baroque
wig. The caption said. "I'll be Bach"

MargW

I still have an old, ragged favorite - you know the picture of the Kraken
dragging a ship down

http://www.eaudrey.com/myth/images/kraken2.jpg

I got one at the Scripps Aquarium with an image of a giant squid and the
research vessel FLIP

http://www.sio.ucsd.edu/voyager/flip/

That says something like
One day aboard FLIP.......

Dang if it doesn't make me smile to this day....

Cheryl

Still a geek at heart

Old October 17th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Tia Mary wrote:
Like I said, a semantics thing and one of my pet peeves -- like
people saying that someone from Italy are EYEtalian. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Well, then stay away from NY, where not only are they Eye-talian, but
they come from It-lee.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

OCTOBER IS DISABILITY AWARENESS MONTH

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old October 17th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
I still have an old, ragged favorite

Some of the stuff at www.NorthernSun.com is worth a grin, like "Hellfire
and Dalmations", "Support the right to Arm Bears", and "Sure I'm a
Marxist" (Groucho, Chico, Harpo....)

And be sure you investigate their "Ladies Sewing Circle and Terrorist
Society" line of products -- when I hit the lotto, I will buy a thousand
of the mugs and see to it that you each get one or two.

Old October 17th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Lucille wrote:
Dr. Brat wrote:

[...]

I know Brat already said exactly what I was thinking, but I have to say it
as well. I'm from the United States but I don't call myself a United
Statesian.
Just in case you haven't thought it through properly, I don't recall seeing
any country call Catholicville or Protestanttown, have you?