Happiness is

Old October 14th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Asian or not Asian was Happiness is

On Oct 14, 6:43*pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:02:13 -0400, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

That's what Karen said. *Read it again.

Elizabeth

Eh, what difference does it make. *I stand by my understanding that it
is not racist to observe race, geographic placement, culture,
whatever. *

The whole thing is my fault. *I fell for the Mirjam flame war trap.
Now she's in the filter. *Back to normal.

Victoria

"There are known knowns. These are things we
know that we know. There are known unknowns.
That is to say, there are things that we know
we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns.
There are things we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

I used to wonder what you mean by `Being Enlighted `, now i get it ,
when you can`t convince somebody with your Mistaken Geofgraphical and
cultural knowledge , or shut their mouth , you filter them away ,,,,
thankks for this lesson in `enlightement`....
mirjam
Old October 15th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Default Happiness is

"Jangchub" wrote :

(Big snip)
open to Canadians of any ethnicity to choose it.
We are very close to pretty ugly territory here by classifying people by
race. Instead of drawing lines, we should be extending hands.

Dawne

We can't recognize the different races? How is that ugly? I think in
the very oldest countries like China and Japan, etc. have mostly the
same "ethnicity" and are indigenous. In the U.S. the Europeans came
and murdered the indigenous American Indians to the point of near
extinction, so now in the U.S. we have very few indigenous people left
and they are mostly in Arizona, Utah, Colorado and N. Mexico. Then,
they slaughtered Mexicans and we now have the Republic of Texas. Some
here still consider Texas as not part of the states, but a sole
republic. Now THAT is ugly.

I see no reason why we cannot acknowledge one anothers race or
ethnicity. There is nothing wrong with that. Not in my circles and
every friend I have are educated all with post graduate degrees and we
still all shlump around in jeans and t-shirts so no snobs here.

I'm sorry I got mixed in with the original person. She's now
filtered.

Point well taken--there is no problem with identifying people by ethnic
origin as long as it is done with sensitivity, and because, as Brat pointed
out, we were into race, ethnicity, culture and geography it was getting
mixed up. Asian is not a race of people, nor is African American. That
kind of sweeping categorization has been used in the past to discriminate
and stereotype--not saying that anyone here was doing that, but because it
has been done, I like to be careful.

No problem with saying where you come from, and where other people come
from, in terms of heritage, so long as it is done accurately and with
respect. .

Dawne

Old October 15th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Default Continents, etc. was Happiness is

Dr. Brat wrote:
............snipped...........
Ok, I need to quibble with this. Israel is in Asia, but not all
Israelis are Asian. The Ashkanazy are quite definitely European.

Elizabeth ..........snipped..........

I thought that Israel was part of the Middle East -- HMMM, I never
really thought about which **continent** the Middle East was part of.
Strange the things we sort of "know" but don't know!
I haven't really been following this thread but the few posts I have
looked at talk about "nationality" which is far different from
"ethnicity". The two are not necessarily related, especially when you
are talking about a country like Israel which has resident citizens who
have come from all over the world. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old October 15th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Jangchub wrote:

I was raised in a most liberal house, but there was zero tolerance for
anyone who used derogatory terms about human beings, or any beings for
that matter.

It's too bad, Vic, that the lesson didn't stick when it comes to
judgements about the life choices made by other women.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old October 15th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Tia Mary wrote:

Dr. Brat wrote:

............snipped...........
Ok, I need to quibble with this. Israel is in Asia, but not all
Israelis are Asian. The Ashkanazy are quite definitely European.

Elizabeth ..........snipped..........

I thought that Israel was part of the Middle East -- HMMM, I never
really thought about which **continent** the Middle East was part of.
Strange the things we sort of "know" but don't know!
I haven't really been following this thread but the few posts I have
looked at talk about "nationality" which is far different from
"ethnicity". The two are not necessarily related, especially when you
are talking about a country like Israel which has resident citizens who
have come from all over the world. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Actually, if we're talking about Asian vs European, we're not talking
about ethnicity or nationality.

It's always a good idea to read a thread carefully before correcting
people, I think.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old October 16th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Jangchub wrote:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:53:46 -0400, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

I was raised in a most liberal house, but there was zero tolerance for
anyone who used derogatory terms about human beings, or any beings for
that matter.

It's too bad, Vic, that the lesson didn't stick when it comes to
judgements about the life choices made by other women.

Elizabeth

Two entirely different topics. One topic is about being racist, the
other about being judgemental. I absolutely am judging Palin. She
could the be president if ithey wil and McCain drops dead.

I think that's a reasonable thing to judge.

Only if you're judging her on her politics. Judging her on the choices
she makes as a mother is unfair unless you are also judging the others
on their ability to father. Should Biden have given up his career to
stay home with his boys when his wife was killed?

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old October 16th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Jangchub wrote:

wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

I was raised in a most liberal house, but there was zero tolerance for
anyone who used derogatory terms about human beings, or any beings for
that matter.

It's too bad, Vic, that the lesson didn't stick when it comes to
judgements about the life choices made by other women.

Elizabeth

Two entirely different topics. One topic is about being racist, the
other about being judgemental. I absolutely am judging Palin. She
could the be president if ithey wil and McCain drops dead.

I think that's a reasonable thing to judge.

Only if you're judging her on her politics. Judging her on the choices
she makes as a mother is unfair unless you are also judging the others
on their ability to father. Should Biden have given up his career to
stay home with his boys when his wife was killed?

Elizabeth

There was no choice. He was left with his wife and daughter dead!
Someone had to go out and make money, but he was home each evening to
help with homework, etc. His current wife entered in the situation
early on and then she took on the role of caretaker. I have said that
if the father was better at fathering than the mother is at mothering,
than he should stay home and be the caretaker. I am fully for that
and as a matter of fact, many men are superior caretakers for their
children than women. No argument there.

Then why aren't you arguing that Todd Palin should be staying home?

Elizabeth (who thinks McCain made an ass out of himself tonight)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old October 16th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Dr. Brat wrote:

Should Biden have given up his career to
stay home with his boys when his wife was killed?

Elizabeth

He wanted to. He said "Delaware can get another Congressman, but my
boys can't get another father", and had to be talked into being sworn
in. Which he did in his sons' hospital room.

I'm impressed that he considered doing so, regardless of his final decision.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

OCTOBER IS DISABILITY AWARENESS MONTH

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old October 16th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Karen C in California wrote:

Dr. Brat wrote:

Should Biden have given up his career to stay home with his boys when
his wife was killed?

Elizabeth

He wanted to. He said "Delaware can get another Congressman, but my
boys can't get another father", and had to be talked into being sworn
in. Which he did in his sons' hospital room.

ITYM "Senator." He was never Congressman.

Elizabeth
Old October 16th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Oct 15, 6:53*am, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:
"Jangchub" wrote :

[...]

Dawne- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Dawne you expressed my feelings and thoughts exactly
mirjam